CCW Choice

herkbum

My standard rotation:

G19.4 with a Surefire XC1, G43X, and S&W 360PD .357. The 19 normally rides in a DSG Arms CDC holster (the pictured holster, unfortunately they went out of business and they aren't made anymore) IWB behind my hip or in a Raven Concealment Perun OWB holster if it's cold enough for a cover garment (I prefer OWB). I do have a G-Code Eclipse AIWB holster for it as well, but don't use it often. 43X is normally in a Tenicor Velo AIWB (pictured) and is perhaps the best AIWB holster I've worn. The S&W is just in a sticky pocket holster, not the greatest but it's handy when in gym clothes.

Currently using the Shield Arms S15 magazines for the 43X, they have all functioned flawlessly and it's awesome having a 15rd capacity in that single stack width pistol. I tend to carry the 19 more because it has the light on it, I don't like the flush lights available for the non-railed 43X. May get the 43X MOS for the rail at some point.

I will generally carry a reload, normally a standard 15rd 19 mag with an OEM +2 extension (I know, I could use a G17 mag but I like the fit of the 15+2 better), another S15 magazine, or a speed strip for the .357. Have a few mag pouches both IWB and OWB. I like the Blue Force Gear OWB single pistol belt pouch, it's very slim.

CCW.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JimNtexas said:

What holster is recommended for concealed carry of a typical 9mm or .38 semi-automatic?

If the frame is small enough for the 38, give a pocket holster a try.  It is pretty comfortable and easily accessible as long as you're not seated.  Biggest benefit is that it is super fast to throw in your pocket, so you'll carry when you otherwise might not.  If you wear boots, an ankle holster is also pretty nice as long as your pant legs are relatively baggy.

For a typical 9mm, my favorite is the Reckoning by CrossBreed.  https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/product/the-reckoning-holster/ .  Easy to use and adjust and you can add a spare mag carrier if desired.  Very comfortable once you've broken the leather in (probably 20-30 hours of wear).  Wear it at the 5 o'clock position so the butt of the handle is in the gap along the spine and even a T-shirt will generally cover it up if the pistol frame is compact. 

5 hours ago, uhhello said:

The one that fits and is functional 🙂 Gotta try out what works for you and how you dress

And FFS get a good gun belt. 

(you cannot get a good gun belt at JCpenney, Kohl’s, or the Gap)

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, HossHarris said:

And FFS get a good gun belt. 

(you cannot get a good gun belt at JCpenney, Kohl’s, or the Gap)

I prefer the braided leather JCPpenny bangers

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, JimNtexas said:

What holster is recommended for concealed carry of a typical 9mm or .38 semi-automatic?

Good luck. This is a much harder question than what gun to carry.

First you have to decide where you want to conceal it, then you have to get a good belt that you like, then you just have to try different holsters to see what feels right. I only carry appendix, so I can answer questions about that.

• Like 1

Good luck. This is a much harder question than what gun to carry.

First you have to decide where you want to conceal it, then you have to get a good belt that you like, then you just have to try different holsters to see what feels right. I only carry appendix, so I can answer questions about that.

You basically get two options:

Move somewhere that it’s always cold so you can pretty much use anything

Or

Adopt a clothing style inflexible to fashion change for 15 years…. Wait for flannel to come back around….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Lawman said:

Or

Adopt a clothing style inflexible to fashion change for 15 years…. Wait for flannel to come back around….

One reason I like appendix carry. With a claw and/or wedge you can get away with a lot, as long as the shirt is long enough. Even thin fabrics are workable if they have a pattern to hide any printing.

But it's always an inconvenience. I've got a hybrid leather/kydex coming to try, because I don't love the feeling of the slide and optic pressing into my skin, but I love the positive "click" you get from kydex.

9 hours ago, Lawman said:

Or

Third option - carry a multitude of gun options in an IWB holster behind your hip…t shirt, jacket, who gives a shit. As long as it’s not a crop top and your not trying to pack a full size frame, you’ll be fine. 

• Haha 1

I open carry a battle axe.  Nobody even worries about what gun I'm keistering when they see that thing.  

Break Break, how can a band called .38 special make such a pussy song? 

11 hours ago, brabus said:

As long as it’s not a crop top

That's over half my wardrobe!  

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Biff_T said:

Break Break, how can a band called .38 special make such a pussy song? 

Hey now!  It was the late 80s, and power ballads were all the rage!

Would you believe Second Change was .38 Special's highest-charting song in the United States out of 25 singles released?  It peaked at No.6 in May 1989 and spending 21 weeks on the chart!

image.png.afff456b51df8430a49fae6a76d3e91c.png

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, M2 said:

Hey now!  It was the late 80s, and power ballads were all the rage!

I was into some real "bad ass" bands like Poison and White Lion back then.  Then Nirvana happened.  

Break Break,

CCW in OC (CA) is an ass pain (worse than butt smuggling lol).   

On 4/30/2024 at 3:59 PM, BFM this said:

I’ll take “Phrasing that is blessedly not part of my vernacular” for $800, Alex

I hear you. There is a very pro 2A judge that keeps fighting back against the restrictions and it seems as though magazine round limits and ARs might be back on the table in the future. I remain cautiously optimistic. 

• Like 2

Looking for opinions on the CZ series of handguns.  Many are DPRK compliant. None of the ranges near me have any to rent.  

BX sells:

CZ 75 SP-01

CZ 75 Compact

CA 75 D PCR Compact

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Looking for opinions on the CZ series of handguns.  Many are DPRK compliant. None of the ranges near me have any to rent.  

BX sells:

CZ 75 SP-01

CZ 75 Compact

CA 75 D PCR Compact

Move to Florida.  Seriously.  I've seen multiple CZ's at my local indoor range.  And that's saying I've also seen guns that simply shouldn't be at my local indoor range.  For real, the guys here don't care WHAT you shoot so long as you're professional about HOW you shoot.  I haven't hit the less-than-local outdoor range yet...but it's 1000+m long.   I'd imagine @ClearedHot could definitely say more to shooting around here.

Edited by FourFans

2 hours ago, FourFans said:

Move to Florida.  Seriously.  I've seen multiple CZ's at my local indoor range.  And that's saying I've also seen guns that simply shouldn't be at my local indoor range.  For real, the guys here don't care WHAT you shoot so long as you're professional about HOW you shoot.  I haven't hit the less-than-local outdoor range yet...but it's 1000+m long.   I'd imagine @ClearedHot could definitely say more to shooting around here.

Yup. Nobody gives a shit here. Indoor. Outdoor. Private land. Public land. Offshore. 

Just don’t be a dumbass. And even that is a low bar in florida. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Yup. Nobody gives a shit here. Indoor. Outdoor. Private land. Public land. Offshore. 

Just don’t be a dumbass. And even that is a low bar in florida. 

I’ve noticed a frequency and proximity of gun shows having a directly negative experience on the “don’t be a dumbass” standard.

The indoor range I used to frequent in college would constantly get people straight in from the county fair grounds with something stupid in hand by somebody who’s gun ownership is being measured in minutes. Then you’re getting flagged by some jackass and his buddies or watching somebody blast away at the backstop with steel core in a Mosin still packed with grease.

Introduce kids and teens to guns while they still have dads/uncles in their life so they don’t turn into these jackasses.

21 hours ago, Biff_T said:

CCW in OC (CA) is an ass pain (worse than butt smuggling lol).   

Move to Texas.  You don't need a license to CC or OC here.  Florida just figure that out less than a year ago, we've had it for three years!  Plus, open carry is still illegal in Florida (Texas has had it since 2021). 

9. Texas As of 2021, permitless carry and open carry are legal in Texas for individuals 21 and older. In many ways, Texas has one of the strongest use-­of-­force laws in the nation, allowing for deadly force to defend “land or tangible, moveable property” in certain circumstances. That said, the law does not protect against civil liability so we did not award full points in that category. The Lone Star State has an enthusiastic shooting, training and hunting culture, and some of the finest ranges in the nation can be found within its borders. Hopefully, Texas’ thriving gun culture is not negatively influenced by its rapid population growth.

22. Florida  After passing anti-­gun legislation in the wake of the Parkland High School murders, the Sunshine State is moving back in a more pro-­gun direction. The legislature passed, and Governor Ron DeSantis signed, legislation that authorized permitless carry in the state for both residents and non-­residents alike. Florida’s use-­of-­force laws are a model for the nation and the state received 10 points for its treatment of NFA items. The only restriction costing Florida points is its prohibition on 18-­to 20-­year-­olds purchasing long guns.

48. California California has the distinction of being the top-­ranked state in the anti-­gun Giffords Law Center’s rankings. Still, lawmakers in Sacramento continue to push for more gun control. In the Fall of 2022, Governor Gavin Newsom signed legislation expanding California’s Red Flag laws. Bills that would have created a firearm excise tax and made legally carrying a firearm more difficult did not make it to his desk. As the legislature goes into summer recess for ’23, no anti-­gun bills have passed; several have been proposed. California received low scores for a difficult carry permit environment, restrictions on many semiautomatics and magazines, and other miscellaneous statutes. The state received 7 points for its use-­of-­force laws, which do not impose a duty-­to-­retreat thanks only to a court decision. Despite having some of the nation’s toughest gun laws, the state had more mass shootings than any other state across a 50-­year survey period, more than Texas and Florida combined.

Source: https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/best-states-for-gun-owners-2023/488509

The biggest downside to Texas is the lack of public (BLM) land to shoot on (there is some just north of Amarillo with under 12,000 acres and no firearms allowed). Over 95% land in Texas is privately owned (source), so unless you know someone with a private range, public ranges are about the only option outside of hunting or on base ranges (I shoot at Camp Bullis is north San Antonio).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FourFans said:

We have a great indoor range five minutes from my house and they rent a wide variety of guns including the CZ's.  I actually prefer to shoot outdoors and we have several options within 30-40 minutes.  My favorite is the Conecuh Shooting Range just to the north in Alabama.  It is a public range with several great set ups including a shotgun section, a pistol range and a long-gun range.  It costs $21.00 for a yearly Alabama WMA license as a Florida resident.  A couple times a year we make a day of it as a family (bring water to wash your hands before lunch). 

I had a deal in place for 80 acres to build my compound but it fell through, still looking but plan to build a range on it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, M2 said:

Move to Texas.  You don't need a license to CC or OC here.  Florida just figure that out less than a year ago, we've had it for three years!

One of the many great things about Texas.

That said, strongly, strongly, strongly recommend anyone in Texas get their license to carry and some sort of "shooter's insurance." USCCA, CCWSafe, Bear, whatever.

The license to carry gives you more rights and protections than constitutional carry. It also simplifies where you can and can't go substantially.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Ratner said:

The license to carry gives you more rights and protections than constitutional carry.

That is a good point. My state is very liberal (in a good way) on guns. But for example, you are in violation of the law if carrying <1000 ft from a school, but if you have a license you can carry right up to the property line. You could conceivably have a traffic stop on a road 900’ from a school and be charged if found to have a gun and not a license. Not too likely, but there are more scenarios like this that can and do exist in constitutional carry states. Bottom line, be informed!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lord Ratner said:

One of the many great things about Texas.

That said, strongly, strongly, strongly recommend anyone in Texas get their license to carry and some sort of "shooter's insurance." USCCA, CCWSafe, Bear, whatever.

The license to carry gives you more rights and protections than constitutional carry. It also simplifies where you can and can't go substantially.

NOT the safety blanket you think it might be.  USCCA is getting bad rap for dropping people AFTER they have a problem.

34 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

NOT the safety blanket you think it might be.  USCCA is getting bad rap for dropping people AFTER they have a problem.

Yeah, but still dramatically better than having nothing. Personally I'm switching from USCCA to CCWSafe once my subscription expires next year. I like the law of self-defense guy, and he endorses CCW safe.

Anyone shopping for this type of insurance should consider one that also covers civil litigation coverage.

On 5/4/2024 at 10:53 AM, Lord Ratner said:

Yeah, but still dramatically better than having nothing. Personally I'm switching from USCCA to CCWSafe once my subscription expires next year. I like the law of self-defense guy, and he endorses CCW safe.

Anyone shopping for this type of insurance should consider one that also covers civil litigation coverage.

My USCCA is expiring this month. Why are you switching?

2 minutes ago, Sua Sponte said:

My USCCA is expiring this month. Why are you switching?

They have a couple recent documented cases of dropping clients for very shaky reasons. I'm also not crazy about how much swag and marketing they do to the members. It feels more like an NRA membership than an insurance plan. I follow a couple of 2A lawyers, and neither are fond of USCCA anymore. CcwSafe has a good rate for veterans and the Law of Self Defense guy likes them (Andrew Branca).

They have a couple recent documented cases of dropping clients for very shaky reasons. I'm also not crazy about how much swag and marketing they do to the members. It feels more like an NRA membership than an insurance plan. I follow a couple of 2A lawyers, and neither are fond of USCCA anymore. CcwSafe has a good rate for veterans and the Law of Self Defense guy likes them (Andrew Branca).

For clarification, did they drop the clients after representing them on a case? Or in lieu of representing them?

Sent from my iPad using Baseops Network mobile app