IL-76 shot down

Where did you get the claim this Il-76 was shot down?  All indications are one of the aircraft's engines caught fire during takeoff for a routine flight and it crashed while attempting to land at Ivanovo-Severny airfield.

The January loss near the Ukrainian border in Russia's Korochansky district in Belgorod Oblast did appear to be a shootdown, allegedly caused by Patriot or IRIS missiles fired by the Ukrainian Army.  An external impact was reported by the crew before the crash.  The Ukrainians denied the claim. 

I went inside an IL-76 about 20 years ago.  They still had a radio operator, a navigator (who sat under the cockpit, FE and a tail gunner. Also,  they didn't seem to take the same critical approach to weight and balance and TOLD as we did in the USAF.  The Russians rotate when they feel like it.   Not suprised to see a few of these go down.  

5 hours ago, Biff_T said:

I went inside an IL-76 about 20 years ago.  They still had a radio operator, a navigator (who sat under the cockpit, FE and a tail gunner. Also,  they didn't seem to take the same critical approach to weight and balance and TOLD as we did in the USAF.  The Russians rotate when they feel like it.   Not suprised to see a few of these go down.  

Got that same experience back in OIF.  Also had one of our crews watch one fly directly into a mountainside near Bagram.  Apparently ATC told them there was co-altitude terrain and they responded "we see everything" shortly before merging with said terrain.  That's why US troops were never allowed to fly on them.

18 minutes ago, FourFans said:

Got that same experience back in OIF.  Also had one of our crews watch one fly directly into a mountainside near Bagram.  Apparently ATC told them there was co-altitude terrain and they responded "we see everything" shortly before merging with said terrain.  That's why US troops were never allowed to fly on them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silk_Way_Airlines_Flight_995

Welcome travelers with great big hug and salutation. You travel today on back bone of Soviet air transport fleet IL-76. IL-76 is unique airplane... only plane run on coal.

For tonight’s inflight entertainment we have tetanus shot followed by soggy brown bag lunch and vodka. Please after finish meal and vodka keep bottle for make pee in.

I encourage to avoid direct contact with Misha the 3rd officer and plane dog. This is same person. Misha has fleas and also short temper particularly when performing fuel consumption check.

If at any time you feel unsafe during flight we encourage you take short nap. It will all be over soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, FourFans said:

I had just taken off from Bagram when that happened.  Explosion lit up the whole valley.  I tried telling ATC that I thought I’d just seen a plane hit the ridge out west, ATC comes back with “are you sure you’re not seeing the AC-130 tweaking on the range”.  We had a mission to fly and I didn’t feel like arguing.  

Couple days later we found the crash site and orbited a couple times to take some pictures.  Nothing but a hole in the ground with tail laying nearby.  Nobody from Silk Airways, the Afghans, or the US ever went up there to my knowledge.

11 hours ago, Biff_T said:

I'm not sure I can describe this as well typing it out, but when I was in Afghanistan we got a tour of one of the Soviet knockoff c-130s, and I asked about takeoff data. The guy laughed and pretended like he was holding the yolk of the aircraft, pulling it back momentarily before returning to the neutral position and saying "not yet." He did it multiple times, then on the last time held the imaginary yoke back to his lap:

"Not yet..... Not yet... Not yet... Not yet... Rotate!"

I kid you not, there were pine needles jammed into the wingtips, and an empty bottle of vodka next to a bare mattress in the navigators pod in the front. Different type of flying.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BFM this said:

Ok, this rabbit trail has completely blown my mind.

Not only is the 76 still in production, it has orders through 2028.  Holy ancient Soviet hardware!

The Russian C-141A....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TreeA10 said:

A Herkski.  Looks like a Herk but powered by vodka.

And for some reason, everything is tied down with rope and there are loose chickens running about.  

• Like 1

And for some reason, everything is tied down with rope and there are loose chickens running about.  

If it was Good enough for Indiana Jones than it’s good enough for the rest of us gawd dammit… now stop your bitching and help me wipe down this “seat” we made with the spare wood and potato bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was all that was left of that Silk Airways IL-76.  If you blow the pics up you can see part of horizontal stab, besides some other small debris and the black impact mark that was all that was left.

DSC03532.JPG

DSC03533.JPG

• Like 2