Social Unrest

gearhog

The videos coming out of France are insane. Granted, no one loves rioting more than the French, but they've taken up a notch. They're making the George Floyd riots look tame.

Sure seems like the frequency and magnitude of chaos in "civil" society has sharply increased as of late. It is really about people being victimized by the police? Buy lowers.

Edited by gearhog

The French are gonna French. Shit, they’re on their fifth republic among other forms of government in between.

Protesting and occasionally guillotining everyone is basically a quaint national pastime if you can A) enjoy the show from the outside and B) ensure you don’t have an infantry square marching toward your capital.

When people in the US talk about how bad civil unrest is or gets here, I always encourage them to read even one (1) book.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

8 hours ago, nsplayr said:

When people in the US talk about how bad civil unrest is or gets here, I always encourage them to read even one (1) book.

Cool. I'm always impressed when people claim they condescended to imaginary people in conversations that didn't happen.

I wonder how many French revolutions were instigated by people who were non-native to France. Which book would you have the imported rioters read? Maybe they've already read it.

https://twitter.com/wokeflix_/status/1675021100730941440?s=20

Edited by gearhog
  • Upvote 3

Hmm, I wondered what they're take on it would be. Apparently, none at all. As if it weren't happening. However, American tourists are behaving badly in Italy.

It was the #1 trending item on Twitter this morning... until Twitter went down, and still is.

MSNBC: Nothing.

FOX News: Nothing.

CBS News: Protests as funeral held for teen killed.

Screen Shot 2023-07-01 at 9.13.59 AM.png

3 hours ago, gearhog said:

I wonder how many French revolutions were instigated by people who were non-native to France.

After some light googling it appears that Jean-Paul Marat was born in Switzerland, so there ya go 😂 I’d also give Napoleon half-credit for being from Corsica rather than the French mainland.

But yea, most Frenchman throughout history have been French, solid observation.

Not a book recommendation, but the Revolutions podcast by Mike Duncan is fantastic, I highly recommend it. Season 3 is the French Revolution and it’s 55 episodes.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/revolutions/id703889772

Edited by nsplayr

20230701_085944.gif.c5f7f4b003c50ae775ab04ea3fc4fb51.gif

Napoleon's best move!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, nsplayr said:

After some light googling it appears that Jean-Paul Marat was born in Switzerland, so there ya go 😂 I’d also give Napoleon half-credit for being from Corsica rather than the French mainland.

But yea, most Frenchman throughout history have been French, solid observation.

Not a book recommendation, but the Revolutions podcast by Mike Duncan is fantastic, I highly recommend it. Season 3 is the French Revolution and it’s 55 episodes.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/revolutions/id703889772

That wasn't my observation. But to your point, are you saying it is common or uncommon for immigrants to spark chaos and conflict?

Despite wide ranging views on immigration, one of the things we do well in the United States is integrate people into our system. Generally, within a generation, families who come here no longer consider themselves Chinese, Mexican, Indian, etc, rather they identify as American. It’s arguably our greatest strength. This is not so in the rest of the world & France is particularly bad about this (their German neighbors aren’t too far behind). Most of their migrants live in borderline slums and will never be considered “French” by their hosts. It’s a thorny issue and I can certainly understand those who are trying to hold on to their culture when the vast majority of immigrants don’t share the same history, language, religious values, etc. But history tells us that a large population of second class citizens in a country tends to cause problems that will eventually have to be addressed. The current French system isn’t working for many of the people who live there & they will eventually have to do something different. 

• Upvote 5

"While Europe Slept" is an interesting book on the European immigration situation.  Written in 2005 by a dude that fled to Europe with his partner in the wake of W getting elected because Europe would be better for gay people than W's America.  Well, maybe not. The book documents the problems created by the lack of assimilation of immigrants into European cultures and that it would come unglued in 15 years. His forecast might be accurate.

5 hours ago, TreeA10 said:

lack of assimilation of immigrants into European cultures

Haven’t read the book, but is the lack of assimilation argument based on the host nationals trying to prevent immigrant assimilation or is it the immigrants refuse to assimilate?

From what I recall, the book indicated a "refusal" of Islam to assimilate to European culture/norms

Correct
Second recommendation for the book
If you’re not willing to assimilate your immigrants don’t invite them
Not a xenophobic statement against immigration just a recommendation to policy makers to not try to have your cake and eat it too with immigration for the purpose of a cheap labor pool that will be happy with permanent second class status / social isolation
The Dutch have leaned into confronting incompatible cultural views with their immigrant communities but also simultaneously have tried to integrate them into their society
Mixed results but a close neighbor to France / Germany that they could collaborate with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a reason why there are literally "no go" arrondissements in Paris for the police.  Has been this way for over a decade and getting worse as a result of the lax immigration policies "enforced"?/embraced.  The "religion of peace" is incompatible w/ democracy contrary to what Islamists will tell you!  It is NOT a facilitator of democracy.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, brabus said:

Haven’t read the book, but is the lack of assimilation argument based on the host nationals trying to prevent immigrant assimilation or is it the immigrants refuse to assimilate?

An example was given of 2 Turkish brothers that immigrated into Denmark.  They became Danish citizens.  They sent back to Turkey for wives who became Danish citizens.  They had children who were Danish citizens. The kids were sent back to Turkey to attend the madrassa then returned to Holland then sent back to Turkey for a wife. Rinse and repeat.  There was no assimilation.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TreeA10 said:

Article describing the self-induced chaos in Europe.  Opening the immigration flood gates has not served their citizens very well and too many here in the U.S. are impervious to the hard lessons taught by history.

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fthespectator.com%2Ftopic%2Feurope-riots-migration-france-sweden-gangs%2F

It's almost, almost, as if this entire thing were entirely predictable!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Strange_Death_of_Europe

• Upvote 1

Europe started to die the day the Irish started leaving for America lol.  

• 4 weeks later...

Seems to be a lot of this kind of stuff happening. Same thing in Chicago a couple weeks ago. Given that there seem to be a lot of healthy young people who want to fight, how would you solve these types of societal problems?