Russian Ukraine shenanigans

08Dawg

3 hours ago, gearhog said:

[canceling an election and letting the current guy stay in the seat until a TBD date] is a necessary step in preserving itself as a beacon of freedom and democracy and protecting it's citizens from tyranny.

LOL. That’s some solid gaslighting right there.

• Like 1

First M1 Abrams Tank Destroyed In Ukraine—Social Media Reacted (forbes.com)
I suppose it was only a matter of time. So many truths about Air Land Battle are no more.

“Destroyed” as reported by media leaves a hell of a lot of leeway by what we would classify as destroyed in actual Armor.

Knocked out or disabled, yeah probably as that’s happened a lot in the past in Iraq as well. If you are disabled remaining with the hull would be suicide and the crew is the most irreplaceable component. But, short of burning if you can perform a recovery it’s pretty ridiculous how badly battle damaged but through rear area MX is restorable. The resilience of the platform and survivability of the crew is really what the M1 has historically shown its self to be. People confuse that with some form of video game god mode invulnerability.

That’s why ours and every smart western military has focused so much on not repeating the mistakes the Germans made and put Armor recovery vehicles in our MTOE. It is far easier to replace a tank from the battlefield than it is to wait and build a new one. If the Ukrainians can recover it back to the rear they can Low Boy the thing to the Depots we already have in Europe for exactly this contingency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

6 hours ago, fire4effect said:

First M1 Abrams Tank Destroyed In Ukraine—Social Media Reacted (forbes.com)

I suppose it was only a matter of time. So many truths about Air Land Battle are no more.

It’ll be ok. Even CPT Bannon and Team Yankee lost a hull or two fighting the Red Horde. As Lawman pointed out, the odds are good that the MX bubbas can have it back in the fight if they can get to it!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lawman said:

“Destroyed” as reported by media leaves a hell of a lot of leeway by what we would classify as destroyed in actual Armor.

Knocked out or disabled, yeah probably as that’s happened a lot in the past in Iraq as well. If you are disabled remaining with the hull would be suicide and the crew is the most irreplaceable component. But, short of burning if you can perform a recovery it’s pretty ridiculous how badly battle damaged but through rear area MX is restorable. The resilience of the platform and survivability of the crew is really what the M1 has historically shown its self to be. People confuse that with some form of video game god mode invulnerability.

That’s why ours and every smart western military has focused so much on not repeating the mistakes the Germans made and put Armor recovery vehicles in our MTOE. It is far easier to replace a tank from the battlefield than it is to wait and build a new one. If the Ukrainians can recover it back to the rear they can Low Boy the thing to the Depots we already have in Europe for exactly this contingency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know in Iraq it took a pretty big IED to take one out. Unlike Russian tanks I'm sure the crew had a much better chance at survival. No turret throwing contest. Assuming the video is real it was shown burning so I don't know what condition it's in. To your point on repair, I'm skeptical the capability is there to fix many of these. Media reports say a drone did it, but I guess you can say even a Javelin style weapon could loosely fit in that category depending on who's doing the reporting. More info to follow I'm sure.

Could just as easily be the shit on top burning (countermeasure dispensers, ammo cans, whatever else is strapped on top)  I'm certainly no M-1 expert, but it doesn't look like flame/smoke pouring out of a critical opening in the hull.  

On 2/26/2024 at 5:40 PM, BashiChuni said:

its gonna happen. ole joe gonna lead us right into WW3

This has been building for decades. The election of an idiot political class is part of the process, not the cause.

Francis Fukuyama is going to have to release a revision to his book. I'm just glad my kids will be too young for what's coming.

• Like 1

More interesting than tank kills.

Ukraine's Defence Intelligence posts final flight path of downed Russian A-50 – map | Ukrainska Pravda

So, that's 2 x A-50s down and this latest one is claimed to be from an S-200 (SA-5) and not a Patriot.  Pretty impressive they pulled out a system that in open sources says they retired 10 years ago and proceeded to shoot down an aircraft at that range.  This combined with the reporting that they've shot down around 10 fighters in the past week or so is making for a bad week for the Russian Air Force.  Ukraine might be losing some ground but the Russian Air Force is paying for it. 

The M-1 in the photo shows the blow out panel above the ammo storage blown out which is what they are supposed to do.  There is a sliding armored door separating the ammo storage from the crew compartment.  The picture might be flipped because I recall the ammo storage on the left side. They never let me drive or shoot it but I did learn to load the gun.  (Years ago ALO with armor battalion w/M-1 A1 later A2 tanks)

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, VigilanteNav said:

More interesting than tank kills.

Ukraine's Defence Intelligence posts final flight path of downed Russian A-50 – map | Ukrainska Pravda

So, that's 2 x A-50s down and this latest one is claimed to be from an S-200 (SA-5) and not a Patriot.  Pretty impressive they pulled out a system that in open sources says they retired 10 years ago and proceeded to shoot down an aircraft at that range.  This combined with the reporting that they've shot down around 10 fighters in the past week or so is making for a bad week for the Russian Air Force.  Ukraine might be losing some ground but the Russian Air Force is paying for it. 

The Russians are happy to pay for it. They are winning. As evidence I submit the panic in the EU. And nato. Floating ideas of committing NATO ground troops in Ukraine. That type of dangerous rhetoric wouldn’t be happening if Ukraine was winning. 

so celebrate all your tactical victories as we lose the strategic war. Typical American officer corps. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TreeA10 said:

The M-1 in the photo shows the blow out panel above the ammo storage blown out which is what they are supposed to do.  There is a sliding armored door separating the ammo storage from the crew compartment.  The picture might be flipped because I recall the ammo storage on the left side. They never let me drive or shoot it but I did learn to load the gun.  (Years ago ALO with armor battalion w/M-1 A1 later A2 tanks)

Did they ever give you a 2 pound sledge hammer and send you out to the motor pool to check for thin spots in the armor? 🙂

Edited by fire4effect

32 minutes ago, BashiChuni said:

Floating ideas of committing NATO ground troops in Ukraine. 

Who is floating these ideas? Seriously. I haven’t seen a serious discussion of sending NATO land forces into Ukraine.

1 hour ago, frog said:

Who is floating these ideas? Seriously. I haven’t seen a serious discussion of sending NATO land forces into Ukraine.

Happened recently. Blustery rhetoric to force the US house’s hand to pass Ukraine money? A possibility. But certainly dangerous, escalatory rhetoric. 
and not a good indicator for how the reality on the ground in Ukraine is. 

IMG_8040.jpeg

IMG_8038.jpeg

42 minutes ago, BashiChuni said:

To be fair the Biden administration continues to say no US troops will be committed. 

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/national-security-daily/2024/02/27/france-troops-in-ukraine-us-no-00143498

...yeah, and there was no border crisis over the past 3 years...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, fire4effect said:

Did they ever give you a 2 pound sledge hammer and send you out to the motor pool to check for thin spots in the armor? 🙂

No but I did learn how to heat MREs on the exhaust louvers.

9 hours ago, BashiChuni said:

The Russians are happy to pay for it. They are winning. As evidence I submit the panic in the EU. And nato. Floating ideas of committing NATO ground troops in Ukraine. That type of dangerous rhetoric wouldn’t be happening if Ukraine was winning. 

so celebrate all your tactical victories as we lose the strategic war. Typical American officer corps. 

Wait, are you against non-US NATO countries sending ground troops into Ukraine?

• Confused 1