DFC

HuggyU2

It's actually pretty easy when you're flying out of Howard during Carnival. My room was on the building side vs. the street side. They party until 0500 and then start back up again at 8. No one got any sleep for two weeks except on the plane.

The co swore he had his eyes open under his sunglasses.

Used to stay in the old Continental Hotel (home of the world's biggest Wurlitzer organ) and depending on the room you might as well have been trying to snooze on the center-line of Via Espania. Those 2AD fighter drags were fun and challenging. At least there was no jet lag. Not that unusual in the old KC for everyone but the Nav to be at least half asleep esp. at night headed east....

I put an aero club 172 in a field once when the engine gave up the ghost. Didn't put a scratch on it. I must have been on some type of order that day since I was still wearing my bag. Maybe I should submit for one.

You rented a Cessna and were "still wearing your bag?" Please tell me you have a legit explanation...

• Upvote 1

You rented a Cessna and were "still wearing your bag?" Please tell me you have a legit explanation...

Yes, I had flown that morning in the Herk and had a last minute call from my instructor (working on my instrument rating at the time). He had some last minute availability that day and was canceling an appointment later in the week. I could have walked from the squadron to the aero club. My house (and short pants) was about 25 miles away. This is at Maxwell. For all you who have been there, our squadron is at the base of the tower and you probably know where the aero club is from there. This was July 7 (I believe) at Maxwell....trust me, I wasn't hanging out in my bag to be cool.

Fortunately, I was wearing my helmet when we hit that hole in the pasture which protected my nugget when my head hit the roof :airforce::rock: The oxygen mask and Ray Bans I kept on strictly to impress the locals who showed up when they saw us land.

Edited by HerkFE

Yes, I had flown that morning in the Herk and had a last minute call from my instructor (working on my instrument rating at the time). He had some last minute availability that day and was canceling an appointment later in the week. I could have walked from the squadron to the aero club. My house (and short pants) was about 25 miles away. This is at Maxwell. For all you who have been there, our squadron is at the base of the tower and you probably know where the aero club is from there. This was July 7 (I believe) at Maxwell....trust me, I wasn't hanging out in my bag to be cool.

Fortunately, I was wearing my helmet when we hit that hole in the pasture which protected my nugget when my head hit the roof :airforce::rock: The oxygen mask and Ray Bans I kept on strictly to impress the locals who showed up when they saw us land.

Wait, you were also wearing your helmet in the 172?

Back to the DFC, I'm surprised a commander was able to look himself/herself in the mirror when writing this,... especially the "crippled tanker" part. A crippled tanker. Really. Well,... "crippled" with 4 good engines and flight controls, anyways.

Don't forget about the five good com radios. Saw the exact same thing happen with a tanker recovering on the wing of a C-17 (gear down) several years back. DFC citation was written up by the EARS and immediately shot down by AFCENT. Surprised this made it through the wickets.

Don't forget about the five good com radios. Saw the exact same thing happen with a tanker recovering on the wing of a C-17 (gear down) several years back. DFC citation was written up by the EARS and immediately shot down by AFCENT. Surprised this made it through the wickets.

There was a gear down C-17?

Wait, so do they actually hand out DFCs for avionics failures? Any crew that can't join up NORDO with another jet and follow it home to an uneventful landing should have their wings taken away.

Wait, so do they actually hand out DFCs for avionics failures? Any crew that can't join up NORDO with another jet and follow it home to an uneventful landing should have their wings taken away.

Not for the crew I referred to. Not sure if the original post in this thread was just a copy of the draft citation or if it's actually been approved. Certainly a worrying precedent if it has been.