E6B "Whiz Wheel"

StickShaker

I did a search on this. Do current military flight students use the E6B whiz wheel? I'm proficient in both because battery failure happens (sts?) but am wondering whether or not to buy a nice metal wheel, or my own digital. (borrowing from CFI ATM (sts))

-Thanks

-E6B.jpg

Edited by StickShaker

I'm sure I've seen one before.

The short answer is no. I've never been issued one and aside from a power point classroom lesson I vaguely remember from UPT, I haven't used one at all.

Can't speak for Pensacola, but all Randolph-trained navs know how to use one, and B-52 navs still use it routinely. Ours is an MB4, though, not an E6B. Can't speak to the exact differences.

• Upvote 1

We were issued a metal whiz wheel, along with our Casio G Shock & Randolph Aviators. I used mine for my Nav check in T-1s, and for doing a fix to fix. But I guess students now use PFPS for their form 70s & fix to fixes aren't taught anymore.

• Upvote 1

Round and divide by 60. There's not a whole lot of aviation math that needs to be that precise.

Of course there is. We've just used computers to do it for us for the last 40 years.

You can probably get one for under $10, so if you'd rather have one than a case of High Life, knock yourself out. But they aren't issued in SUPT anymore, and it's a safe bet you'll be able to go your entire military career without ever having to use one.

We were issued a metal whiz wheel, along with our Casio G Shock & Randolph Aviators. I used mine for my Nav check in T-1s, and for doing a fix to fix. But I guess students now use PFPS for their form 70s & fix to fixes aren't taught anymore.

We (UH-1N) don't have an IFR certified GPS so we "have" to use a fix-to-fix to proceed direct to a point in a non-radar environment (which there are many in MT).

They showed us the Whiz Wheel at PIT just to remind us what it looks like then prompty put it away. Everything is JMPS or accomplished with a calculator now on the -38 side.

Edited by Tank

Of course there is. We've just used computers to do it for us for the last 40 years.

Thought the E6B was considered a "Computer"? Thats what I was told back when I got my private but I could never actually confirm it because I couldnt find the power cord.

Edited by AceMohr
  • Upvote 1

We (UH-1N) don't have an IFR certified GPS so we "have" to use a fix-to-fix to proceed direct to a point in a non-radar environment (which there are many in MT).

What are you doing flying a Huey in the weather? Stop that. Immediately.

If you know how to use one quickly it's actually pretty useful. Just get a watch that has one on it though.

I primarily use mine when I'm starting to get skosh on fuel (on RTB or XC etc...) If you put your fuel burn rate in, you can figure out how many minutes before you run out of gas, or are down to recovery fuel etc... Then throw in your ground speed with x number of minutes. This takes about 6.9 seconds and gives you the distance you can fly on that amount of gas. (hopefully it's more than homeplate)

As far as using them to get to a fix to fix - you can either request a vector from ATC or just travel straight until ATC gives you a vector.

UPT'ers at my base are not issued Whiz Wheels any more.

Cheers,

Cap-10

You get a 3 or 4 hour class on "mission planning" in T-6s which is basically fuel planning using a whiz wheel. They give you the E6B for the class and take it back when it is over, and I don't remember using it again. Everything in T-1s is CFPS and falcon view.

If you know how to use one quickly it's actually pretty useful. Just get a watch that has one on it though.

I primarily use mine when I'm starting to get skosh on fuel (on RTB or XC etc...) If you put your fuel burn rate in, you can figure out how many minutes before you run out of gas, or are down to recovery fuel etc... Then throw in your ground speed with x number of minutes. This takes about 6.9 seconds and gives you the distance you can fly on that amount of gas. (hopefully it's more than homeplate)

As far as using them to get to a fix to fix - you can either request a vector from ATC or just travel straight until ATC gives you a vector.

...or just do the math in your cranium.

I think they stopped issuing them around ~2008, though I could be wrong. I've got one on my watch that I don't even remember how to use. The "fuel burn" example used above is simple math anyone should be able to do either in their head or on a piece of scrap paper.

Lessee...... I'm burning 12k/hour, that's 200lb/min. I've got to go another 690 miles, and I'm flying 5 miles per minute. That means that it will take me 138 minutes to get there, therefore I need a bit under 28K. Not difficult.

What are you doing flying a Huey in the weather? Stop that. Immediately.

Until the MDSv1 gets rewritten to remove those pesky instruments they'll be the bane of our existence. Nevermind the fact that we can and routinely do fly VFR lower than any non-CATIII instrument approach.

Herk navs still have them. Sometimes if I'm bored, I'll tell him to compute our mach no. I'm just preparing for the day when a controller forgets what plane we are in and asks for my mach no. so that I can reply ".48".

• Upvote 1