Taxes, the Deficit/Debt, and the Fiscal Cliff

HeloDude

Naturally, you're not going to agree with any critical analysis of yourself and deem it as "terrible". Perhaps it is, but you're not the person I would look to ask. You're constantly referring to the "People here", "the forum members", etc. It's as if you have an inability to discern individuals from the collective. That's called "making a generalization". I only point that out because you're often ranting against broad characterizations and such. Very odd.

I refer to the collective specifically because I want to make a point without attacking an individual and making it personal. It's not a broad, sweeping generalization if the sample size consists of the same 20 people that have been posting here for years. And your analysis terrible because it actually is terrible, not because I disagree with it. I am capable of introspection and honesty, but you've created a false dichotomy in which I either agree with you, or I'm too narcissistic to accept criticism. You've completely discarded the chance that your Internet psychology might actually be incorrect. And the only expert here on me is...me.

But this is what I liked about your post: "I'm just knocking people off thier high horses". I applaud your honesty. Now if only you could make the connection between moral superiority/narcissiscm and knocking people off high horses, you might be on to something. (Hint: hypocrisy)

Again, another false dichotomy that you can't knock someone off a high horse without thinking you're better than them yourself, which is totally untrue. I know I don't have all the answers, but I know it's bullshit when someone else claims that they do. And when people judge others based on the infallibility of the truth that they have convinced themselves that they know, well, let's just say that's why I love posting on this forum.

I'm not going to derail this any further by deflecting an obvious ad hominem. If you want to continue, take it to a PM.

Joe, I'm not attacking you, so I'm having trouble understanding why you're being so incredibly defensive. Not every minor critique deserves an angry, rambling response. "Methinks the lady doth protest too much". I'm no psychologist, so I can't claim to be 100% certain that an inferiority complex would make someone feel the need to bring others down in your situation, but even so, I'm sure you'd be ready to vehemently refute it in another angry self-righteous tirade. There's nothing wrong with that, buI perhaps going downtown, singing some karaoke and finding yourself a nice Japanese girlfriend might be a beneficial option for someone facing the challenges you may or may not find yourself dealing with in regard to the anger you obviously feel when visiting he board. Just trying to help. It's not good to be upset all the time. Peace, brother.

HermanCainGrin.gif

I actually think a flat tax is something that many people would support. It is simple and easy to understand. The only thing I would disagree with is..It seems like it would be a waste to tax someone just to give them that same money back since they are getting welfare or whatever federal aid. It would be beneficial to just have a very low bottom line of a minimum annual income before you had to pay the 10%. I guess taxing them wouldn't be horrible, but it would seem odd to take $100 from someone every month and send them a check for $200 the same day.

If you removed every loop hole and just made everyone pay a flat tax, I wonder what the rate would have to be to pull in the exact revenue we get today.

Edited by one
  • Upvote 1

(words)

The first troll was pretty good, but you kinda blew it with this post.

I actually think a flat tax is something that many people would support. It is simple and easy to understand. The only thing I would disagree with is..It seems like it would be a waste to tax someone just to give them that same money back since they are getting welfare or whatever federal aid. It would be beneficial to just have a very low bottom line of a minimum annual income before you had to pay the 10%. I guess taxing them wouldn't be horrible, but it would seem odd to take $100 from someone every month and send them a check for $200 the same day.

If you removed every loop hole and just made everyone pay a flat tax, I wonder what the rate would have to be to pull in the exact revenue we get today.

Flat taxes are simple and easy to understand, but it's terrible policy. It's far too regressive, which is why it never even comes close to being implemented, much less discussed. Very few modern, developed nations in the world have a flat tax policy for a reason. Out of the top 50 (out of 195) countries in the world, only 4 have a flat tax scheme. Then again, the vast majority of modern, developed nations are politically to the left of the United States, anyway.

Regarding our current tax scheme, it does have its issues as a result of the government trying to nudge the economy one way or another. However, the act of removing all loopholes has secondary and tertiary effects that may not be immediately apparent beyond the idea of getting to save a few bucks.

The first troll was pretty good, but you kinda blew it with this post.

Flat taxes are simple and easy to understand, but it's terrible policy. It's far too regressive, which is why it never even comes close to being implemented, much less discussed. Very few modern, developed nations in the world have a flat tax policy for a reason. Out of the top 50 (out of 195) countries in the world, only 4 have a flat tax scheme. Then again, the vast majority of modern, developed nations are politically to the left of the United States, anyway.

Regarding our current tax scheme, it does have its issues as a result of the government trying to nudge the economy one way or another. However, the act of removing all loopholes has secondary and tertiary effects that may not be immediately apparent beyond the idea of getting to save a few bucks.

Maybe, but one wonders how much lower rates could be if we did a tiered "flat-tax". Maintain a somewhat progressive scheme, but eliminate all the loopholes. Then you wouldn't have multi-millionaire CEOs hiding all their cash offshore, or as stock, or as company perks. While many things in the current system are supposed to nudge the economy one way or another, what really happens is that it creates weasels. We create weird incentives that don't work as designed, then we blame people who react to the incentives instead of the incentives themselves. Every person who whines about how little Warren Buffett or Mitt Romney paid in taxes last year did everything they could to reduce their own tax burdens. Create a tax system that's easier to understand, and harder to hide income, and people will pay more. Then you can start lowering the rates. It sounds good to say the rich have a tax rate of 39%...but how does it do anyone any good if the rate they actually pay at, after deductions, credits, etc is only 15%?

I think we need something like a flat tax. Everybody needs skin in the game. With 70,000 pages of tax code, billions spent on calculating your taxes, billions more on collecting your taxes, the idiots in Congress have created a monster. It just should not be so difficult to pay your taxes.

I think we need something like a flat tax. Everybody needs skin in the game. With 70,000 pages of tax code, billions spent on calculating your taxes, billions more on collecting your taxes, the idiots in Congress have created a monster. It just should not be so difficult to pay your taxes.

Problem 1: What do we do with all the newly unemployed people that make a living off the system being complicated (lawyers, accountants, and the tax prep software industry)?

Problem 2: How can the President redistribute wealth if the system is fair?

Careful now...if you disagree with Joe he's going to call you stupid, heartless, and let you know why he's correct and why you should never question his opinion.

Actually, I'll call you an idiot, because for a minute there we had a pretty decent conversation about actual policy until you decided to post.