I think they TOTALLY get it (Suicides)

• 3 months later...

Vet who saved many in Iraq couldn't escape demons

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20130316/DA52C2OG1.html

Made me actually get a bit physically ill (scotch may have contributed)... How many are this "close", how much closer will they be after the shenanigans of the last few weeks. I really wish this was the most important discussion topic in the DC area right now.

What good is an endless supply of weapons, if we don't care a lick about the people that operate them... if we don't even care about the ones defending, how much do we really care about the ones that are being defended. Maybe a financial check is exactly what we need to rethink our priorities as a country; to find out if we really care more about the operators we lose over the costly weapons that are lost.

I was over due for two years granted still in UPT so no one cared, but it is an annual required CBT but it doesn't show up on the dashboard with the other ones on ADLS.

Serious? I'm pretty sure my OG would throttle anyone who CC'd him for this.

Please note: I'm not in Ops Group (wish I was).

Additionally the O6 who has ADCON over me is a personnelist, whom I've never met and can't get the clearance to access to my office.

Finally, email was from a SMSgt.

I'm in the third circle of hell.

Edited by 17D_guy

• 3 months later...

Here's a dose of depression for you. Making the rounds on the NSAternet.

DanielandAngelSomersArmyBall-thumb-.jpg

DanielSomersIZ.jpg

War is hell, eh?

Wow, that was a pretty powerful letter.

I read an article the other day that surprised me. The overwhelming majority of military suicides are committed by people who have never seen combat. It seems that most people are under the illusion (I definitely was) that almost all military suicides are due to the things that people saw/did during OEF/OIF.

http://m.wsfa.com/autojuice?targetUrl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.wsfa.com%2fstory%2f22648274%2fcombat

The suicides may be people that signed up to fight and for whatever reason were unable to get into theater.

Bingo. Minot has a particularly large problem with SF guys who signed up to go fight the enemy, on enemy turf, only to end up standing on top of a hole in the ground in sub-zero weather for twelve hours at a time.

Feeling like your job is worthless or meaningless tends to suck the motivation (and, in some circumstances, the will to live) right out of you.

• 10 months later...

A bit of a long video, but Dr. Sapolsky (Stanford professor) explains how depression is just as much a biological disease as diabetes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOAgplgTxfc

And there are many very effective treatments. Many involve medication, but there are forms of treatment as well. Counseling, residential and exercise programs and other similar treatments are important, but aren't usually sufficient because depression is indeed a medical problem and requires medical treatment.

Interestingly, electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) is still one of the safest and most effective treatments for severe depression there is. No one knows why, but it just works really well without the side effects of medications. And it's nothing like the movies - it's very humane. It's now done with the patient under a brief general anesthesia so there's no visible muscle movement or anything like that. Unfortunately, it still has an (undeserved IMO) stigma.

About the letter from Daniel Somers - that's pretty humbling.

I don't work at the VA now but I have for many years - It will be a really big challenge to meet the needs of Iraq/AFG veterans. I hope we're up to it.

My unit had a wingman today. I didn't go due to flying requirements. From the feedback, it was mostly a gripe session where an O-6 (unit SRO) defended his retirement in the face of the stress our airmen are facing in being cut at any moment. Still not getting it.

Edited by addict

Was that supposed to be humorous or was it intentionally patronizing and condescending?

"You don't have it that bad! At least you aren't a golf ball!" Is that supposed to help people?

Edited by raimius