Latest Movies

B*D*A

Iron Man 3 was good. Not as good as the first two, but worth $7. I'll save you the hassle of whipping out your phone as the credits start - there is a 69 second extra clip at the end, but it's not related the next Marvel movie like every other one has been.

Iron Man 3 was good. Not as good as the first two, but worth $7. I'll save you the hassle of whipping out your phone as the credits start - there is a 69 second extra clip at the end, but it's not related the next Marvel movie like every other one has been.

I agree, the scene at the end of the credits was more like the one after the Avengers, good for a chuckle but not a teaser for anything else.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got home from seeing Hangover III, definitely on par with the first two. Worth the price of admission.

Tip: Don't immediately leave when the credits start rolling.

Cheers! M2

• Upvote 1

Don't read this unless you've seen the new Star Trek movie. If you have...laugh away.

That was genius and definitely tainted my view of what was otherwise a pretty movie.

Catch up on (and laugh at) the last Fast and Furious movies here

Fast & Furious 6 opens this weekend. With a runtime of 130 minutes and Super Bowl commercials full of tanks and neck punches and cars driving out through the nose of exploding airplanes, it appears to be so huge and filled with big dumb action that it will make Pain & Gain look like Amour. I have never been more excited about anything in my entire life.

• 3 weeks later...

Toss up whether this should go in this or the History Friday thread, but as it's a movie, I chose here:

Command Decision

command_decision.jpg

A 1948 movie based upon a Broadway play of the same name (remarkable to think about this being a Broadway hit vs. today's all gay, all the time shows).

Some hokey special effects (ok, really crappy) dealing with damaged B-17s, but some great war footage of hundreds of bombers in contrails, crews getting briefed, loading up, etc.

And the dialogue, particularly that about interservice bickering, fighting for resources, old guys lamenting about young uns not knowing what is important, and about concentrating on actually fighting a war vs. careerism, is terrific.

• Upvote 1

Looks like they will be making a documentary about Michael Murphy:

Looks like it will absolutely be worth watching.

That looks awesome. The Lone Survivor movie is supposed to come out early next year. Luttrell apparently had a lot of oversight throughout production and Peter Berg has wanted to do this for years so it should be good. I like Wahlberg but I still have my doubts about an under 6 foot Bostonian playing a 6' 5" Texan...

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1091191/

Toss up whether this should go in this or the History Friday thread, but as it's a movie, I chose here:

Command Decision

command_decision.jpg

A 1948 movie based upon a Broadway play of the same name (remarkable to think about this being a Broadway hit vs. today's all gay, all the time shows).

Some hokey special effects (ok, really crappy) dealing with damaged B-17s, but some great war footage of hundreds of bombers in contrails, crews getting briefed, loading up, etc.

And the dialogue, particularly that about interservice bickering, fighting for resources, old guys lamenting about young uns not knowing what is important, and about concentrating on actually fighting a war vs. careerism, is terrific.

Just watched this. I agree, it was a pretty good movie, especially about looking good to congress vs. actually accomplishing something. You're right about the 'special' effects, though. The B-17 shots were bad, but the comparison videos of the new German fighter demonstrating its capabilities took the cake.

Took the kids to see it last night. It was very good. However, maybe im just getting old, but I'm starting to get put off by all the 15 minute long choreographed, hyper-stylized, apocalyptic, over-the-top death, destruction, and meyhem special effects marathons that seems mandatory for every new action movie. I'm so desensitized, if WW3, the zombie apocalypse, and a meteor impact all happened tomorrow, I'd be more interested in taking a nap.

Much as I love a good action sequence...they spent the first 2/3s of the movie showing how important saving people is to Superman's personality, and the last third showing Superman's epic fight scene destroying an entire city without much emotional turmoil or hesitation.

New Documentary that is out on the TWA 800 crash that happened 17 years ago. Is this just another "Loose Change" Documentary? The filmmaker claims none of the eyewitness testimonies were released, assistant FBI Director says they took the missile theory very seriously and there was no evidence of any sort of external explosion in the NTSB report. Thoughts?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/19/us/twa-crash-claim