WTF? (**NSFW**)

slacker

7 hours ago, Danger41 said:

Also, if you ever get the chance to do the Hudson River tour VFR in your respective jets, be sure to do it. Awesome experience. Getting terrain warnings off the Freedom Tower is pretty wild.

Used to catch rides with Army UH-1s (yeah, I'm old!) out of Tipton AAF at Ft Meade.  They'd regularly get clearance to fly down the Atascosa through DC and northwest past Georgetown along the Potomac to Great Falls with the doors pinned back (if the weather was nice) and below the scenic overlooks along the river.   It had a real Apocalypse Now feel to it!  😁

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Danger41 said:

Also, if you ever get the chance to do the Hudson River tour VFR in your respective jets, be sure to do it. Awesome experience. Getting terrain warnings off the Freedom Tower is pretty wild.

It's been a while but from what I remember, if you're flying up the Hudson (around the Statue of Liberty) in a military helicopter, they want you to stay below 75 feet agl.  Also, as long as you're not in a 53, they'll let you land at the wallstreet helipad.  I took a 2 ship in there one time.  The tourists were amazed, the tourist helicopters were pissed.  

5 hours ago, HeloDude said:

If this was done by a Catholic Bishop or the Pope, or a leader in the Baptist church, you wouldn’t hear the end of it from the majority of the media.

I'm sure the catholic church has plenty of controls to prevent any sort of abuse in their ranks 😂

Edited by Day Man
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, HeloDude said:

If this was done by a Catholic Bishop or the Pope, or a leader in the Baptist church, you wouldn’t hear the end of it from the majority of the media.

I feel like it DID happen in the Catholic church, and it HAS disappeared from the media. 

• Downvote 2

3 hours ago, pawnman said:

I feel like it DID happen in the Catholic church, and it HAS disappeared from the media. 

Are you suggesting that if it was reported today that the Pope did something extremely inappropriate with a child (like what the Dahli Lama just did) that it would have been handled the same in the media as what we saw with the Dahli Lama?

14 hours ago, HeloDude said:

Are you suggesting that if it was reported today that the Pope did something extremely inappropriate with a child (like what the Dahli Lama just did) that it would have been handled the same in the media as what we saw with the Dahli Lama?

I'm saying there was widespread abuse within the Catholic church, their response was to cover it up and move offenders to new locations, and that after an initial flurry of reporting, it is out of the news.

You can posit a nefarious motivation if you want. I think the more likely answer to why the Catholic scandals got more airtime is that there are far more Catholics than Buddhists in the US, so the story drives more viewers. 

1 hour ago, nsplayr said:

Also relevant, it wasn’t their tongues that the priests were asking little boys to suck! 🍆😅

Are you suggesting because of what some priests did that makes what the Dalai Lama did ok?  This was in the news for one day at the most and that was it.  I’m sure if the Pope did the same thing it would have been in the news for more than a day…

2 hours ago, uhhello said:

If the great Llama is doing this in public on camera, then for sure he is doing worse in private and his handlers know it.  The llama probably doesn't know what planet he's on right now.  

He does, and his true character shone through. 

Abraham Lincoln: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.”

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HeloDude said:

Are you suggesting because of what some priests did that makes what the Dalai Lama did ok?  This was in the news for one day at the most and that was it.  I’m sure if the Pope did the same thing it would have been in the news for more than a day…

None of this was to excuse behavior in either case. It was to explain why one received more coverage than the other. 

3 hours ago, pawnman said:

None of this was to excuse behavior in either case. It was to explain why one received more coverage than the other. 

Got it—bias.  We should judge individuals on their actions, not on the actions of others.

Edited by HeloDude

12 hours ago, HeloDude said:

you seem more concerned with the media aspect than the actual abuses involved.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, HeloDude said:

That’s exactly my point…the media will provide more coverage if the pope did what the Dalai Lama did…so why is that?

Let me repeat it for you:

There are far more Catholics than Buddhists in the west.  A major Catholic figure doing something like this will garner much more attention, concern, and eyeballs for advertisers than a major Buddhist figure.  The western audience sees this, goes "gross, glad that's not happening here" and changes the channel.  They see something about the Catholic church, and they're glued to the TV to see if their local church is one of the ones involved in the scandal.

In short - one gets more attention than the other, because one attracts more viewers than the other.

Edited by pawnman
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, pawnman said:

Let me repeat it for you:

There are far more Catholics than Buddhists in the west.  A major Catholic figure doing something like this will garner much more attention, concern, and eyeballs for advertisers than a major Buddhist figure.  The western audience sees this, goes "gross, glad that's not happening here" and changes the channel.  They see something about the Catholic church, and they're glued to the TV to see if their local church is one of the ones involved in the scandal.

In short - one gets more attention than the other, because one attracts more viewers than the other.

Thanks for confirming the bias in the media!  For what it’s worth, I’m not a Catholic.

15 hours ago, HeloDude said:

Thanks for confirming the bias in the media!  For what it’s worth, I’m not a Catholic.

It doesn't matter if you are. You want to attribute this to some kind of deliberate bias like the media is protecting the Dalai Lama. I'm telling you the lack of coverage is due to the lack of interest.