Jump to content
Baseops Forums
ClearedHot

Pilot Shortage Deepens, USAF is SCREWED.

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Boomer6 said:

Guys at IFF with viper B-Course at Kelly scheduled for August are getting notified that they'e being kicked out and going to Holloman to make room for upt next kids. 

Holloman isn't backed up right? 

Anyone know if the UPT next kids have started yet? 

 

they started around feb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Azimuth said:

Such bullshit that this article was even written or that charges were filed.  The alleged victim, who made the allegations, is his soon to be ex-wife who, until a couple days ago, was fighting a losing battle for custody.  Sad and disgusting that a dude's name is dragged through the mud before any of the facts of the case come to light. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, RTB said:

Such bullshit that this article was even written or that charges were filed.  The alleged victim, who made the allegations, is his soon to be ex-wife who, until a couple days ago, was fighting a losing battle for custody.  Sad and disgusting that a dude's name is dragged through the mud before any of the facts of the case come to light. 

This is my shocked face at the shoot, then aim mentality the military always takes in these cases.  Don't worry, if it turns out to be unfounded, they'll be sure to print the retraction on the bottom right corner of the back page of the AF times...and his career will still be ruined.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Boomer6 said:

 

Anyone know if the UPT next kids have started yet? 

 

If you mean the shortened course, we're in Week 4 of academics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stoker said:

If you mean the shortened course, we're in Week 4 of academics. 

I mean the course in Austin called UPT next/pilot training next where they only do sims and fly a T6. 

Pilot Training Next

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RTB said:

Such bullshit that this article was even written or that charges were filed.  The alleged victim, who made the allegations, is his soon to be ex-wife who, until a couple days ago, was fighting a losing battle for custody.  Sad and disgusting that a dude's name is dragged through the mud before any of the facts of the case come to light. 

The most serious charge against Costello alleges that he raped a sleeping woman in 2014.” 

 

Bullshit. Married man came home and was feeling frisky, so he made a strategic move on his wife and was successful. End of allegation. 

Edited by Hopefulflyer389

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Boomer6 said:

I mean the course in Austin called UPT next/pilot training next where they only do sims and fly a T6. 

Pilot Training Next

Oh god, I got a call from the poor bro that they tasked with setting that up.  He got my info and gave me a call asking all kinds of network questions--bad ones.  Took me a sec and I asked if he was a comm/cyber guy and he said "no, I'm a pilot" but someone had just told him "get it set up."

I commiserated with him and told him to call AETC A6 and get some frigging help.  Random pilot dude ain't gonna be able to run that through solo at a location without any infrastructure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SocialD said:

This is my shocked face at the shoot, then aim mentality the military always takes in these cases.  Don't worry, if it turns out to be unfounded, they'll be sure to print the retraction on the bottom right corner of the back page of the AF times...and his career will still be ruined.  

Without seeing the charge sheet, and from what was reported, he sounds fucked. The rape/sex assault charges will walk him into a court martial, however military justice uses Lesser Included Offenses (LIO’s) a lot. That’s where another charge, that’s not originally charged, is found to be considered by the panel or judge, but cause the terminal element of the LIO is in the original charge.

Example: Government charged him with rape (Art 120). A terminal element of rape is to use force or fear. Panel or jury find he wasn’t guilty of rape because of lack of force or fear, but that he did physically assault her, so now they find him guilty of Assault Consummated by a Battery (Art 128). His odds of going to prison are extremely high due to the charged crimes. And they’ll throw in all the catch all’s like Conduct Unbecoming (Art 133). 

If he’s sentenced to a dismissal, that’s the officer version of a diahonorable discharge. If he isn’t sentenced to a dismissal, he’ll go to a Board if Inquiry a few months later and the Government will use his court martial conviction, as trivial as Conduct Unbecoming, against him to have him separated. If he’s over 20-years, he’ll only be allowed to retire if SECAF approves it, and it probably wouldn’t be at the O-6 rank.

The military justice system has ruined a lot of lives because of the politics. And if you don’t think this kind of stuff will never happen to you, all it takes is one false allegation. 

Edited by Azimuth
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Boomer6 said:

Guys at IFF with viper B-Course at Kelly scheduled for August are getting notified that they'e being kicked out and going to Holloman to make room for upt next kids. 

Holloman isn't backed up right? 

Anyone know if the UPT next kids have started yet? 

 

How is it smart to put a bunch of UPT Next kids into Blk 30’s. They really need to be put into something with AGCAS. I’d prefer not to see more iron left in the desert.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A csaf admits that Tami 21 was the wrong thing.......wow. The current CSAF doesn’t halve the balls to say that. In fact he said it was the right thing and we are all volunteers so shut up and color. I’ve got less than zero for old fingers goldfien. He is part of the problem and always has been. It’s people like him that......

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Boomer6 said:

Guys at IFF with viper B-Course at Kelly scheduled for August are getting notified that they'e being kicked out and going to Holloman to make room for upt next kids. 

Holloman isn't backed up right? 

Anyone know if the UPT next kids have started yet? 

 

If I had to sum up the viper B-course in a picture I would choose the below. Holloman is still backed up

644387430_dumpsterfire-Imgur.jpg.24539c64d4df195f609613d3072398c9.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, 17D_guy said:

Oh god, I got a call from the poor bro that they tasked with setting that up.  He got my info and gave me a call asking all kinds of network questions--bad ones.  Took me a sec and I asked if he was a comm/cyber guy and he said "no, I'm a pilot" but someone had just told him "get it set up."

I commiserated with him and told him to call AETC A6 and get some frigging help.  Random pilot dude ain't gonna be able to run that through solo at a location without any infrastructure.

Nope nope nope nope nope.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The KAUS training program is operating daily out of a trailer on the end of the Charlie row of Signature T-hangers, where my flying club has three airplanes.

It looks like they fly four airplanes weekday mornings at 10am, and some number of afternoon sorties.

I think they do academics in the large Army Guard facility across the street.

Edited by JimNtexas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2018 at 4:05 PM, RTB said:

Such bullshit that this article was even written or that charges were filed.  The alleged victim, who made the allegations, is his soon to be ex-wife who, until a couple days ago, was fighting a losing battle for custody.  Sad and disgusting that a dude's name is dragged through the mud before any of the facts of the case come to light. 

I don't have a dog in this fight obviously but I remember meeting Bondo when back when he was the F-15 Demonstration Team pilot, seemed like a solid guy and it sucks this is happening to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2018 at 8:37 PM, 17D_guy said:

Oh god, I got a call from the poor bro that they tasked with setting that up.  He got my info and gave me a call asking all kinds of network questions--bad ones.  Took me a sec and I asked if he was a comm/cyber guy and he said "no, I'm a pilot" but someone had just told him "get it set up."

I commiserated with him and told him to call AETC A6 and get some frigging help.  Random pilot dude ain't gonna be able to run that through solo at a location without any infrastructure.

With FedEx hiring ~500 this year, Delta hiring ~1,000, American and United hiring over 600 each, SWA hiring, Alaska hiring, Jet Blue hiring...

Do any of you know any AF pilot that is staying past their SUPT ADSC?

Im a reservist embedded in an active-duty squadron at a SUPT base and I do not know a single IP that isnt quitting. Also, there used to be grey beard O-5s that would stay in SUPT world to 23, 24, 25 years of service. Not anymore. Every O-5 is on retirement terminal leave at 19 years and 10 months and in airline indoc. Via my little microcosm of active duty AF SUPT world, no one is sticking around, no one.

Edited by Merle Dixon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Merle Dixon said:

With FedEx hiring ~500 this year, Delta hiring ~1,000, American and United hiring over 600 each, SWA hiring, Alaska hiring, Jet Blue hiring...

Do any of you know any AF pilot that is staying past their SUPT ADSC? 

Im a reservist embedded in an active-duty squadron at a SUPT base and I do not know a single IP that isnt quitting. Also, there used to be grey beard O-5s that would stay in SUPT world to 23, 24, 25 years of service. Not anymore. Every O-5 is on retirement terminal leave at 19 years and 10 months and in airline indoc. Via my little microcosm of active duty AF SUPT world, no one is sticking around, no one.

I know of perhaps 1 or 2 staying out of 20-30 IP+ that are eligible to bail in the next two years,  Those that decided to take the devils money and stay generally either have no family and have no interest in doing airline work, or are simply some how drunk off AF Kool Aid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I stayed. I don’t like Kool Aid. I have a family. 

Ladies and gentlemen, this is what we call a unicorn...
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I stayed. I don’t like Kool Aid. I have a family. 


Ditto. Not going to take the shitty 27.5 to 22 YAS they offered either. them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stayed. I am two years late to rate, finished my 96 gate month, so flight pay is good until a month after I hit 20 years even if I don't fly again. I got released to get my PhD in applied physics right around the time they reduced the crew ratio in the C-17. Became bonus eligible 5 months after I graduated with my degree, so the 5 yr PhD ADSC is running concurrently with my bonus ADSC. I have 2.5 years left on my teaching payback tour. Then only on more assignment between me an retirement. I'm preparing for the worst, but hoping for the best. I miss flying, but as long as it's treated as an additional duty (especially for FGOs), I'm not interested in returning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Merle Dixon said:

With FedEx hiring ~500 this year, Delta hiring ~1,000, American and United hiring over 600 each, SWA hiring, Alaska hiring, Jet Blue hiring...

Do any of you know any AF pilot that is staying past their SUPT ADSC?

Im a reservist embedded in an active-duty squadron at a SUPT base and I do not know a single IP that isnt quitting. Also, there used to be grey beard O-5s that would stay in SUPT world to 23, 24, 25 years of service. Not anymore. Every O-5 is on retirement terminal leave at 19 years and 10 months and in airline indoc. Via my little microcosm of active duty AF SUPT world, no one is sticking around, no one.

Yeah, there’s plenty. A lot of U-2 guys have extended their UPT ADSC by a few years to fly here. I don’t know any that wished they hadn’t, though that doesn’t mean they necessarily want to stay in the Air Force longer than one U-2 tour. Several are, however.

At the same time, I don’t know why anyone would stay in the Air Force after working at a UPT base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Duck said:


Ladies and gentlemen, this is what we call a unicorn...

I had returned from my 365 a year before and was in a pretty good assignment when I decided to sign the 5 year bonus. The next year the 20 YAS bonus was offered to MAF pilots and they allowed my year group to sign the longer bonus. Since I had decided to stay to 20 anyway I decided to go ahead and add the four more years of bonus payments. 

The AF didn’t have to allow my group to take the added bonus. I was pleasantly surprised when they offered it. I’ve had a good career except for the year of my life wasted in Afghanistan. I’ve flown in every assignment. Not a school select. Made O-5. 

Of course, all my friends are flying for airlines now and I’d also like to be done with military service but I’m getting close and am most likely in my final assignment. Flying is good. I’ll have to suck up a Group or Wing staff job soon, but such is life. 

I took the path of least resistance staying in and signing the bonus. I didn’t want to start a job search and grow up quite yet. It worked for me. The AF is dumb sometimes, but usually it’s not as bad as the board makes it seem. I’ve paid my dues TDY and deployed like all of you, but my life has also gotten better as time has gone on. I understand everyone is different and has different experiences though. And that’s fine. 

Edited by Homestar
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took the 9 year bonus to 20.5 years. So far the AF has treated me better than most. Seen some cool things and been stationed at some cool locations and flew the first 13 years and now in a pretty good staff gig. I guess time will tell how the next 6 years will be. Worst case or maybe best case I get passed over for O-5 and get out and go to the guard/reserves and get an airline gig. In the meantime I don’t mind making $150,000 a year plus retirement if I stay in to 20. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×