Baseops Forums
Swizzle

Investment showdown -- beyond the Roth, SDP, & TSP

3 hours ago, LJ Driver said:

Great job taking your future into your own hands, ands thanks for serving 20 years of your life to the USAF. I’m coming up on 20 myself next year, I know the job market is really hot right now but a military  pension really does give you a lot of flexibility and piece of mind. 

Question for you: Did you gonkulate all those numbers over your 20 year career or is there a site that lets you plug in some data and spits it out for you? Seems pretty tedious but it is definitely an interesting nugget to have for reference. 

Thanks.  Congrats on 20 yourself.  No, there's no calculator (that I know of anyway).  I just have a big spreadsheet that I update with a new row every month.  It has a column for each type of pay.  It also has a column for how much I invested/saved that month, so I have a good visual of investments vs income over time.

I started the spreadsheet about 10 years ago, so the first day of building it was tedious.  Doing the monthly input since then takes about a minute.  Its also a good way to double check the LES.  I find that my LES is wrong at least 4 months a year, mainly due to changes in language pay.

On 3/1/2017 at 2:12 AM, panchbarnes said:

Thinking about purchasing rental properties in either Wichita Falls or Abilene, TX.  Would appreciate any insights people have on either one of those rental market and economic development or growth potential.  Any RUMINT regarding Sheppard or Dyess and future BRAC?

Thanks in advance.

I know I'm late to the party but the rental market in Abilene is almost non-existent, with a steady for of FTU students parading through. Quail Hollow captures a decent chunk as "unofficial" base housing, but there's money to be made renting a house at O-1/O-2 BAH rates.

• Upvote 1

Having a background in finance from Harvard Extension helps. I'll start working on my MBA. from Yale Executive after I earn my UTP slot. 

The investment theory really just focuses upon your available equity, credit, location, and risk:reward ratio you feel comfortable with.

If you are just getting started and are probably in your 20's & 30's. Its easy, just live where you can rent (like a 4-plex), buy a tesla instead of a Lamborghini, and ideally marry a beutiful women who works.

As for the rest, that's more corporate style investing. And nobody without a formal education should attempt that.

As real estate, oil, securities, and business development have a much higher ROI.

On 3/1/2017 at 5:56 AM, panchbarnes said:

We are looking for multifamily units in the great state of Texas, all of the big cities are very tough to invest in due to competition, so looking at the smaller cities for better deals.

Curious about Altus, OK as a rental market as well.

@panchbarnes did y'all end up finding an options to pick up? I'm a big advocate of residential multi-families, especially to get started in real estate investing. If so, where did you end up buying? How are they performing for you?

BLUF:  I'm still a big believer in the TX MF (class C) market, but based on what I am comfortable with I can't justify buying anything right now because of the average to below average CAP rates that I'm seeing.

The Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac MF loan program is the best kept secret out there.  I've put the MF search on hold because the numbers don't make any sense right now, will probably get serious again when the CAP rate gets back up to ~9 or 10%.  I am on several MF marketing distros and there is just nothing good right now as compared to 2 years ago.  I found a really good deal (~70 units) in Amarillo at the time but was not able to follow through with the transaction because of a conflicting TDY and still am kicking myself for it.

I eventually bought a piece of land in Texas and am planning to build several units on it.

The upcoming downturn in the housing market is going to be quite lucrative if you are a rental property investor.

Timing is everything!

Edited by panchbarnes
  • Upvote 1