Jump to content
Baseops Forums
Catbox

What's wrong with the Air Force?

Recommended Posts

Come on, this is the trust tree. We ready know that leadership doesn't read this board. 


I bet some do and when they see something they don't like the just ignore it... unless they are the prior Laughlin wing king to which he will hunt you down and destroy your career for drug use. (Too soon?)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As this is a thread on what is wrong with the AF, I offer a movie on that theme, basically about a GO trying to cover up his crime, using his power and influence and the culture of officers that sometimes fight it and others that enable it.

Sole Survivor from 1970.  Found on Youtube - worth 1+30 of your time if sitting SOF, faking work, etc...

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two gems tonight from the Air Force Magazine Daily Report...

Air Force Exceeds Recruiting, Retention Goal
—BRIAN EVERSTINE
The number of Active Duty airmen currently in service has exceeded the Air Force's goal for Fiscal 2017, thanks to an increased effort on recruitment and retention. There are about 317,800 airmen in uniform, up from 309,000 a year ago—that's 800 more than its stated goal of 317,000, said Lt. Gen. Gina Grosso, the service's deputy chief of staff for manpower. Speaking at an AFA-sponsored, Air Force event Wednesday in Arlington, Va., Grosso said many inside the Defense Department, and in the Air Force itself, didn't think it could grow its ranks that quickly. But fast work inside Air Education and Training Command enabled the service to exceed its goals, Grosso said. Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James has placed a high focus on building the ranks, which she said dropped too low because of budget constraints. James told reporters earlier this year she was considering enacting a little-known law that enabled her to bolster the service's end strength by up to two percent—or as many as 6,340 airmen—above congressional mandates. 

 

 

Is Uniformity Needed for All in Uniform?
—BRIAN EVERSTINE
The Air Force is thinking outside of the box and is considering relaxing its fitness standards for some career fields or changing its tattoo policy in an effort to broaden its recruiting pool. Lt. Gen. Gina Grosso, the service's deputy chief of staff for manpower, said USAF needs to "think deliberately about how we value uniformity." Standards across the entire force "scares a lot of people," she said during an AFA-sponsored, Air Force event Wednesday in Arlington, Va. "Do I care what a cyber warrior weighs?" Grosso asked, adding if someone who works on cyber networks needs to focus as much on their mile and a half time. Similarly, does the Air Force need to enforce standards related to tattoos the same way now? "Do I care that someone has a flower on their arm?" Grosso said. Still, the service must make sure it doesn't stray too far from the requirements it has had for decades. "We're certainly going to need some people who are brawny, and we're also going to need some people for their intellect as well," she said.

 

Hello early 2000s?

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Duck said:

Two gems tonight from the Air Force Magazine Daily Report...

Air Force Exceeds Recruiting, Retention Goal
—BRIAN EVERSTINE
The number of Active Duty airmen currently in service has exceeded the Air Force's goal for Fiscal 2017, thanks to an increased effort on recruitment and retention. There are about 317,800 airmen in uniform, up from 309,000 a year ago—that's 800 more than its stated goal of 317,000, said Lt. Gen. Gina Grosso, the service's deputy chief of staff for manpower. Speaking at an AFA-sponsored, Air Force event Wednesday in Arlington, Va., Grosso said many inside the Defense Department, and in the Air Force itself, didn't think it could grow its ranks that quickly. But fast work inside Air Education and Training Command enabled the service to exceed its goals, Grosso said. Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James has placed a high focus on building the ranks, which she said dropped too low because of budget constraints. James told reporters earlier this year she was considering enacting a little-known law that enabled her to bolster the service's end strength by up to two percent—or as many as 6,340 airmen—above congressional mandates. 

 

 

Is Uniformity Needed for All in Uniform?
—BRIAN EVERSTINE
The Air Force is thinking outside of the box and is considering relaxing its fitness standards for some career fields or changing its tattoo policy in an effort to broaden its recruiting pool. Lt. Gen. Gina Grosso, the service's deputy chief of staff for manpower, said USAF needs to "think deliberately about how we value uniformity." Standards across the entire force "scares a lot of people," she said during an AFA-sponsored, Air Force event Wednesday in Arlington, Va. "Do I care what a cyber warrior weighs?" Grosso asked, adding if someone who works on cyber networks needs to focus as much on their mile and a half time. Similarly, does the Air Force need to enforce standards related to tattoos the same way now? "Do I care that someone has a flower on their arm?" Grosso said. Still, the service must make sure it doesn't stray too far from the requirements it has had for decades. "We're certainly going to need some people who are brawny, and we're also going to need some people for their intellect as well," she said.

 

Hello early 2000s?

 

I read the second article as "well, we struck out with the hottest chick in school, but we still need to have fun after prom so... we'll settle for an average-looking chick from another school"

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've heard this argument numerous times, especially in regard to Cyber.  I work with some incredibly smart airmen who can all pass the PT test. I do not want to give up our standards to get a couple fat hackers on the team.  That is what contractors are for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It only makes sense. The stricter PT standards all came upon as a force management tool during a period of high retention. Now that retention sucks, regardless of what the other article says, it's time to relax the standards... give me a freaking break...


Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Duck said:

It only makes sense. The stricter PT standards all came upon as a force management tool during a period of high retention. Now that retention sucks, regardless of what the other article says, it's time to relax the standards... give me a freaking break...

This is part of it, but here's the other part that people are missing:  Relaxing obejctive standards (i.e. weight, PT standards, etc) gives AF management more subjective say on who gets retained, who gets separated, who does and does not get promoted, etc.    The AF has publicly admitted that one of their main goals is increasing diversity in certain jobs and ranks...well, having to navigate through objective standards can get in the way, especially when the pool of these diversified members is much smaller.  

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where does health of the member come in to play then? Isn't that what we were told? The Air Force cares about you. They want you to be healthy and happy. Surely they didn't use the PT program as a lazy way to "fix" the end strength numbers...


Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Duck said:

Where does health of the member come in to play then? Isn't that what we were told? The Air Force cares about you. They want you to be healthy and happy. Surely they didn't use the PT program as a lazy way to "fix" the end strength numbers...


Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

The Air Force does NOT care about you, they care about increased health care costs as it impacts the bottomline.

The way the seniors spew the core values is ohhh sooo Ironic given the lasted indicators.  Internal memos calling to relax standards at Fighter RTUs...relax PT standards...what next...drug standards.

The way we manage people is absolutely laughable.

 

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear AF Leaders and HR,

Thank you for letting us know how much you care by nonchalantly dismissing a workplace survey, in which many man-hours were spent to complete. 

We will now adopt your response whenever we get task saturated: "To be frank, that got lost in the shuffle. There's nothing controversial in it. It just got lost in all the things that we're doing."

Sincerely,

The Serfs

https://www.airforcetimes.com/articles/climate-survey-results-not-released

'When asked about the climate survey results after an Air Force Association breakfast Wednesday, Air Force personnel chief Lt. Gen. Gina Grosso said, "To be frank, that got lost in the shuffle. There's nothing controversial in it. It just got lost in all the things that we're doing."'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

 Internal memos calling to relax standards at Fighter RTUs...relax PT standards...what next...drug standards.

"And Grosso suggested that the Air Force may eventually change some of its rules regarding HIV. Currently, anyone who is HIV-positive cannot be assessed into the Air Force, but with increasing advancements in treatment, Grosso said that could change in the future. "

https://www.airforcetimes.com/articles/officer-evaluation-overhaul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dear AF Leaders and HR,
Thank you for letting us know how much you care by nonchalantly dismissing a workplace survey, in which many man-hours were spent to complete. 
We will now adopt your response whenever we get task saturated: "To be frank, that got lost in the shuffle. There's nothing controversial in it. It just got lost in all the things that we're doing."
Sincerely,
The Serfs
https://www.airforcetimes.com/articles/climate-survey-results-not-released
'When asked about the climate survey results after an Air Force Association breakfast Wednesday, Air Force personnel chief Lt. Gen. Gina Grosso said, "To be frank, that got lost in the shuffle. There's nothing controversial in it. It just got lost in all the things that we're doing."'

Holy Hell... what a crock of sheet. That's a lame excuse for a coverup.

"Well we just didn't get around to looking at it"
"There's nothing controversial in it... pinky promise"
"We think our peeps are just over surveyed..."

I know how me and all my bros answered it... honestly, with the unvarnished truth of our view of the Air Force and its senior leadership. I guess we hurt their feelings that no one wants to be in their stupid little club anymore.




Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So on a somewhat separate note, I was curious if any of you have seen this yet? I have a bit of a personal interest in military history, tactics, strategy etc... and I thought I'd like to do a little reading up on the topic. I thought to myself, no need to reinvent the wheel, surely there is a shortlist of must reads that already exists on this topic to get me started. Then I remembered one of the CSAF AF wide emails that referenced a reading list. A short google search later and here it is. Thing is, I'm honestly not surprised, but it just put it in a new light. I text the link to my dad who served in the 70s and 80s. His response, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? ing pussies all of them!!!!" Couldn't have said it better myself. Reality hits you hard bro.

http://static.dma.mil/usaf/csafreadinglist/index.html

For anyone who doesn't take the time, a quick summary of some of the leading titles

How to Overcome our Biases? Walk Boldly Toward Them

Why We Have Too Few Women Leaders

How Great Leaders Inspire Action

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Boilermaker said:

 Then I remembered one of the CSAF AF wide emails that referenced a reading list. A short google search later and here it is. 

http://static.dma.mil/usaf/csafreadinglist/index.html

For anyone who doesn't take the time, a quick summary of some of the leading titles

How to Overcome our Biases? Walk Boldly Toward Them

Why We Have Too Few Women Leaders

How Great Leaders Inspire Action

I don't disagree with your sentiment or that of your dad, but in the name of accuracy--- those aren't titles of the CSAF reading list.  Those are featured TED talks.  The books are Here.  And they're mostly pretty good.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gearpig said:

From JQP's latest article:

FTAC.jpg

You Have Got To Be Shitting Me.

Well it's no surprise Sky Cops need to be taught how to put one on...now they just need to figure out where to stick it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tac airlifter said:

I don't disagree with your sentiment or that of your dad, but in the name of accuracy--- those aren't titles of the CSAF reading list.  Those are featured TED talks.  The books are Here.  And they're mostly pretty good.

I will concede that many of the physical books look to be descent. But the TED talks are part of the "reading list" and are ridiculous. Further I'd point out, when you first go to the reading list, does it take you to the books page? No, it takes you to the Home tab, and what is featured front and center? Not the books, but the TED Talks. I do find it ironic that of the short list of 12 books 2 of them are about eating right while as referenced above they are discussing relaxing PT standards. 

Edited by Boilermaker
Add TED Talks being front and center

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gearpig said:

From JQP's latest article:

FTAC.jpg

You Have Got To Be Shitting Me.

This is negative training.  Those wooden dildos should be twice as large, blue, and the condoms should be sandpaper instead of latex.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And then they should shove it up their own... that way they know what's in store for them in Big Blue.


Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it's a self gratification class on how to not make a mess in the tent, that would be useful. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair (and serious), there are young adults out there who have never seen or touched a condom in real life.

In the other service, I had a Lance Corporal who, literally, didn't know what condoms were.  We took action to educate him after he announced his wife's 3rd pregnancy in as many years...

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or it could be a primer on how to make E-9 , stratification and not deploy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fox two said:

Holloman just banned all alcohol in the dorms, in response to isolated incidents of irresponsible drinking.  Great, we know people aren't going to stop, let's just force them to do it off base instead.  This will turn out well!

 

https://www.jqpublicblog.com/random-major-single-handedly-repeals-21st-amendment-revives-prohibition/

No they didn't. The TRS/CC banned alcohol in Non-Prior Service Airman's dorms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...