Contact  |  Baseops Wiki  |  Military Pay  |  Military Discounts  |  Air  Force UPT  |  Aviation  Jobs   |  Aviation  Medicine   |  Pilot Supplies  |  Donate

• Create Account

Photo
* * * * - 8 votes

WTF? (**NSFW**)

Is this real?

• Please log in to reply
5233 replies to this topic

#2961 BQZip01

BQZip01

Gray Beard

• Supreme User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:35 AM

http://www.af.mil/ne...sp?id=123317364

So $18.3 million price tag for install....projected savings were $550K/yr...array has 30 yr life span:

18,300,000 / 550,000 = 33 yr break even point.

So instead of paying $16.5M over 30 years (550,000/yr) we (government) decided to pay (spend out tax money) $18.3M right meow (American Recovery and Reinvestment Act) for a project that was destined to fail unless better than expected results were obtained?

WOW!

Cheers,

Cap-10

Or you could use several hundred thousand dollars a year with no return on investment

30 years * $500K = $15M in losses

so which is really worse? spending $600K over 30 years or $15M?

I don't like a lot of these "green" projects, but this makes economic sense
Toro: "BQZip beat me to it"
Rainman: "...it could easily be argued the BUFF is THE best combat aircraft of all time."

#2962 Royal

Royal

Gray Beard

• Supreme User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:48 AM

Wow that is very cool (hardy har har). I'll have to look these guys up when I'm not at work. I'm a heat transfer engineer so this is sorta interesting to me.

For reference, 400 megawatts of heat transfer is quite a bit! One of my recent projects was a radiator for a 600hp fire truck, and this is about 1500 times more heat than that radiator dissipated.

Is the goal to cool the air before it enters the compressor to increase the density of the air itself for the fuel/air mixture? From the picture, it looked like there was an intake fan, then the air got cooled by the heat exchanger, then it went into the engine.

"I am not answering my mobile phone at the moment as I am experiencing iPhone envy and every second spent using my Nokia is like being trapped in a loveless marriage. Where you stay together for the kids. And the kids all have iPhones."

#2963 sky_king

sky_king

Gray Beard

• Supreme User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:08 PM

Or you could use several hundred thousand dollars a year with no return on investment

Or... You could spend $550k for the next 5 years and buy the next generation of solar panels that would actually make economic sense.

#2964 pawnman

pawnman

Gray Beard

• Supreme User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:59 PM

Except that $15 million in losses over 30 years is a smaller loss than the $18.3 invested right now. Money in the future is generally worth less than money spent right now.
Stupidity is like nuclear power. It can be used for good or evil...and you don't want to get it on you.

#2965 TacAirCoug

TacAirCoug

Gray Beard

• Supreme User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Qual:Herk IP

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:22 AM

Call me crazy, but this just seems like a bad idea.

Posted Image

#2966 guineapigfury

guineapigfury

Gray Beard

• Supreme User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:57 PM

I think he is wearing Bad Idea Jeans.

#2967 spaceman

spaceman

Gray Beard

• Supreme User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:00 PM

I think he is wearing Bad Idea Jeans.

Holy shit nostalgia reference of the day winner

Posted Image

Edited by spaceman, 21 September 2012 - 08:19 AM.

#2968 Prozac

Prozac

Gray Beard

• Supreme User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:23 PM

Call me crazy, but this just seems like a bad idea.

Posted Image

I can't put my finger on it but there is something about this guy that reminds me of BQZip's mom.

#2969 Royal

Royal

Gray Beard

• Supreme User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

Posted Image

"I am not answering my mobile phone at the moment as I am experiencing iPhone envy and every second spent using my Nokia is like being trapped in a loveless marriage. Where you stay together for the kids. And the kids all have iPhones."

#2970 guineapigfury

guineapigfury

Gray Beard

• Supreme User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:35 AM

Man charged after being mauled by tigers at zoo. They take the "don't feed the animals" rule seriously.

#2971 ClearedHot

ClearedHot

Gray Beard

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:10 AM

Bacon Crisis

Posted Image

but that's not what you asked. So... I'm an ass.

#2972 Vertigo

Vertigo

Gray Beard

• Supreme User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:41 AM

Bacon Crisis

Was just about to post this same story... instead I'll post another crisis in the making:

LMFAO is breaking up

The problem is that lots of people clearly don't want liberty for all. They want liberty for themselves and conformity for others.

#2973 Masshole

Masshole

Gray Beard

• Supreme User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:37 PM

Bacon Crisis

...spokesman for the British Sausage Appreciation Society...

Seriously?

I know not what darkness lurks in the hearts of men, but it can escape only if the instantaneous div is strictly positive.

#2974 polcat

polcat

Crew Dawg

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:Whatever is interesting to me...

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:04 PM

While I was waiting to complete a PDHA at our local med group (a story in itself), I passed the time reading an old AFRC magazine (no other mags around) and to my disbelief, I found this article. Here is an excerpt below:

"Leadership examined the needs of the wing, called Air Force Personnel Center to ask a few questions and then established a benchmark that allowed a select group of 911th ARS captains to serve as executive officers at the wing and group levels...Because of the limited leadership positions within the 911th, it is more difficult for them to compete well with their active-duty peers at the 6th Air Mobility Wing. This opportunity is impressive. You should want to come here. "

Basically, a "select" group of KC-135 pilots can work with the reserves at Seymour Johnson and fill executive officer jobs to further their careers. The kicker is AFRC is touting this as a good deal. As an exec, and one that can't wait to get out of the job, I see this as a means of catering to the careerists while alleviating the need to fill positions within the 916th. Am I off kilter here or am I just jaded? What do y'all think?
Polcat

#2975 Prozac

Prozac

Gray Beard

• Supreme User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:15 PM

AD Captains may be less than enthusiastic about going to an associate unit due to a lack of career progressing jobs being available at said locations. Want to get passed over for Major? Don't show "progression". Many of us believe the AF's version of progression is bullshit, however most will still check their boxes so they can make rank.

#2976 Rainman A-10

Rainman A-10

the godfather

• Supreme User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,136 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:48 AM

The human body is set up to protect itself," she said. "When you do this stuff, you bypass the safety measures, such as throwing up before you drink too much."

C'mon, man...WTFO?
"The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow-witted man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him." Leo Tolstoy

#2977 rancormac

rancormac

Crew Dawg

• PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:58 AM

I thought you throw up after you drink too much....

#2978 MCO

MCO

Flight Lead

• Super User
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:23 AM

CentCom officer accused of sexually enticing 17-year-old boy

Read more: http://www.foxnews.c...s#ixzz27acd3TzY

Edited by MCO, 26 September 2012 - 10:23 AM.

#2979 ExBoneOSO

ExBoneOSO

Flight Lead

• Supreme User
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:48 PM

Well this takes binge drinking to a new level...what will kids think of next??

Knoxville, Tennessee (CNN) -- Twelve students at the University of Tennessee have been cited for underage drinking, one for disorderly conduct, and a chapter of the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity suspended after a weekend incident involving alcohol enemas in which one student was hospitalized, a university spokeswoman said.

"Upon extensive questioning, it is believed that members of the fraternity were using rubber tubing inserted into their rectums as a conduit for alcohol as the abundance of capillaries and blood vessels present greatly heightens the level and speed of the alcohol entering the bloodstream as it bypasses the filtering by the liver," Knoxville Police Dept spokesman Darrell DeBusk said Monday in a statement.

The student, who was taken to the UT Medical Center in critical condition with a blood alcohol level of 0.40 -- five times the legal cutoff for driving -- has been released, the hospital said.

"Thank you sir, may I have another?"

#2980 spaceman

spaceman

Gray Beard

• Supreme User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:27 PM

I knew some dudes in high school who would do the enema thing with box wine! They called it "Space Bagging." Seemed pretty extremely unhealthy to me...

At least "Space Bagging" sounds a lot less gay than "Butt-Chugging"

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users