Washington DC

JP84U2

She is a kid. She doesn't know anything but she wants you to treat her like she does. She got ample advice (three fucking pages for something most people sort out on their own) and then she complained about the choice she made as if she was a victim. That's what young people do. Eventually they mature and realize many of the things they said when they were young sound pretty funny to grown ups.

There is no sense correcting anything she says now. Decision made, no debrief required. She will be fine. If there was ever a time for a thread to be over, this is it.

Two people said the commute from Silver Spring is miserable. I assume that means long.

It's not the length of time that necessarily makes a commute horrible. It's the bumper to bumper traffic, merging from 3 lanes to 1 lane, standing in a packed metro car, fighting your way onto a pack metro platform, or dealing with all the other idiots doing the same thing make the DC commute horrible. I can think of a lot worse commutes than Silver Spring to Georgetown/Foggy Bottom area. You'll see.

• 1 year later...

My family and I are looking at base housing for either Bolling or Belvoir (1st and 2nd priority). I'll be at the Pentagon and my wife home schools (school district doesn't matter) my older two while the younger two are napping. I want a low cost of living and a short commute. I don't care about much else. Should I be considering something else? While on the base housing waiting list, where should we live to meet our priorities of cost of living and commute time (we would keep most of our stuff in storage while we wait, so we could be at a furnished place if need be in the interim)? -Thanks

Look right around the Springfield metro station. There are some neighborhoods near there that have pretty nice houses for relativity cheap. Anything in Alexandria near the Huntington station will be more money, and probably a townhouse. If the commute and the cost are your major factors, I think Springfield is your best option.

I'm stationed at Belvoir, and I would recommend you get yourself and your family assigned here for healthcare. The hospital, dentist, and basically all of the other services are about the best I've seen anywhere. The whole base is great, really. If you do move here you'll be adding a 15 minute drive to your commute to get to either Springfield or Huntington metro station, or you can take 30 minutes and ride the bus that runs through base.

My family and I are looking at base housing for either Bolling or Belvoir (1st and 2nd priority). I'll be at the Pentagon and my wife home schools (school district doesn't matter) my older two while the younger two are napping. I want a low cost of living and a short commute. I don't care about much else. Should I be considering something else? While on the base housing waiting list, where should we live to meet our priorities of cost of living and commute time (we would keep most of our stuff in storage while we wait, so we could be at a furnished place if need be in the interim)? -Thanks

Since you mentioned homeschooling, the metro line is now extending out to Tyson's corner. The Western Fairfax and Loudoun county area have a very large population of homeschoolers with tons of groups, sports leagues ect.

Some place near a metro stop, if you are going to the Pentagon. The Blue Line at Springfield or Van Dorn would work nicely. Huntington might also be a good option.

I'm close to the Van Dorn station, and with the exception of a few townhouses, it's mostly apartments. Kingstowne has some nicer townhouses and houses, but I never looked at the prices.

Are you set on base housing? While at the Pentagon we rented in Arlington, near Ballston. I could easily ride my bicycle to work. When I drove, it took twice as long to walk from my parking spot than it did to drive there. Metro stops close by, Ft Myer and USMC HQ (BX/Big Commissary) are right there. Commuting from Belvoir or Bolling will both be longer. Rent was agreeable. My info is dated (2008-2010), but more options to consider.

Edited by Spoo

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I don't know DC from a hole in the ground, so all of the lingo gets confusing. I assume the green line comment is a joke. Cost of living-wise, I've always found it very difficult to find a living situation off base where my BAH covers 100% of my rent of a 4BR 2.5bath 2400+ sqft home, utilities, lawn care, along with some renters insurance like all of the new privatized housing does. It seems to me that in order to get that off base in DC, you have to settle for something less on that list. Am I wrong? If I am, I'm going to need an awesome realtor.

Spoo: Were you in a house? What was rent?

Thanks again for helping my family out.

Two DC tours...recommend Springfield/Burke/Fairfax Station area. Housing is more affordable and you will have multiple commute options. SLUGing worked great for me, 35 minutes from my door to my desk. If you live within a five miles of the Sydenstryker lot you will have lots of housing options nearby by and you will be able to SLUG, take an express bus, or drive five minutes to the Springfield Metro stop on the Blue line.

I've never lived on-base and I've never found a home (I was willing to live in) that met all of the criteria you list, this is especially true of DC. We lived in a small 3 bedroom, 2 bath and payed about $100 less than BAH. Loved it. We had one kid at the time and my wife stayed at home. If you can find a place that minimizes driving, you'll be much happier. The closer to the Pentagon, the better IMO (as long as you're in a decent neighborhood).

Edited by Spoo

Bolling had (when I was there) a great homeschooling group (BAHE = Bolling Area Homeschooling Educators) and was about 80 families at the time. Virginia puts out one of the largest conventions (good for learning about things, getting stuff) in the nation. The homeschooling network was really helpful for us. I didn't work at the 5-sider so I can't share commute info. Bolling has a Metro station outside the gate, but had a bad rep so be ready to defend thyself.

Out

Spent a year at Bolling as well (NIU). IIRC, Bolling is serviced by the Anacostia Metro station (use caution), you have to take a bus from Bolling to the stop. For reference, I think you could drive to Pentagon north parking in the same amount of time.

Highly recommend you stay on the Virginia side of the river.

When traffic sh1ts the bed, as it did regularly, the bridges became the natural chokepoints and alternatives are nil.

Your requirements were the holy grail of "short commute and affordable."

It's DC. The two are just about incompatible.

I lived out near IAD, the new Air & Space Museum, and the NRO. Nice area, not cheap, but not oh my god (recalibrating for DC area), and the schools were good. Unable on the home schooling thing.

The drive was long, but express buses, the VRE (a train), and slugging were decent. 45-60 minutes door to door.

Best of luck.

Unasked for advice: Don't concealed carry in DC. They are not tolerant or forgiving. Of course, that's where you have the most need to carry as well.

Good luck getting parking at the Pentagon. I was there for five years and paid to park across the street and walk under 395 for at least two of those years. I paid to park in Crystal City for the other three. I had a 36 mile commute from Loudoun County, and it took me almost two hours every day because the entire DC metro area is in a constant state of construction. Oh, and I paid about $300/month in tolls. I had a reasonable mortgage on a 2700 sq ft townhouse, but I could have gotten something in Burke or Fairfax for a similar price if I had been willing to sacrifice some square footage. I recommend the Virginia side of the river over the Maryland side (I have done both), and you should try to be near a metro or a slug lot. Driving will be a time consuming challenge no matter where you live.

Driving will be a time consuming challenge no matter where you live.

Not true. Lived in Arlington Forrest, near Arlington Hall. Rent was affordable and I had a ten minute drive up 50 - zero tolls, manageable traffic, and no commute-related headaches for three years. Your parking statment is misleading. If you do not take the Metro stipend, you will have zero issues getting a (free) North parking lot pass.

Again, if you're willing to rent, you have a lot more options.

Did my two years of pennance and we lived in Woodbridge. Bought a 2400 sq ft house there, mortgage was about what the housing allowance was - part of the entering argument with the real estate lady. Sold it for about an $80k profit.

Commute was about 30 minutes on the HOV if you slugged or carpooled. I parked in south parking for part of the first year, slugged for about a year and car pooled the rest of the time. Car pooling and slugging were good in that you had a reason for leaving the office at a reasonable time, don't want to miss your ride home. It seemed like it took at least 30 minutes to get anywhere as traffic seemed to always be heavy.

Schools were good in Virginia, we had no problems.

Seems most of this is tailored towards the Pentagon or NOVA. We've got orders to Andrews so how would this advice change? We are definitely city people and love the vibe of a "main street" walkable community. Based on our limited knowledge of the area we are looking around Alexandria, Annapolis, Dunkirk, Huntington, Waldorf, Springfield/kingstowne. How long and how bad would that commute from Annapolis be? My wife's a high school teacher so that's going to be a factor. And that $$$ thing...I think I heard somewhere that its retarded expensive. Planning to rent for a while.

I was going to say Old Town would be great for you as well. The friends I have that live there have to fight for street parking everyday; not my cup of tea, but they like to be within walking distance of tons of restaurants/bars/activities/metro. Depending on how much cheddar you're willing to part with, there are some awesome places with garages there too. You'll be 15 minutes from Andrews, and as Hoss mentioned you'll be going counter-traffic.

Don't live anywhere right outside Andrews. It's garbage.

Everywhere in md sucks, but directly around andrews is especially bad.

You can live near old town without being in it. Lots of "suburbs". Just make sure you're east of 95/395 and as close (north/south) to 495 as possible or you can get quickly out of the traffic counterflow sweet spot.

Consider around van dorn and what used to be Cameron station. Lots of single family homes of various ages and expenses.

Old town is 5 to 3 girls to guys as well, so not a bad joint if you're single or into a little strange on the side.

Like most of NoVA, lots if fuzzy foreigners and 1st gen Americans.

Edited by HossHarris