Reorganization Part 69

nsplayr

Didn’t the 1st SOW get credit for their ORI when they went and did earthquake relief support in Haiti back in 2010/2011?

Yes, Wurster signed that off I believe. It’s the only time I’ve seen that. He actually told the Wing in person IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

To any of the old heads out there… we’ve done the “no groups” thing before and have arrived at the present structure for reasons.

While this missive addresses organizational change histories it uses relatively bland terms.

Off hand I can reason that it will be difficult for a single wing commander to deal with discipline issues as well as there being difficulty being an operational war fighting wing dealing with a base commander who may or may not be in your chain.

Anybody out there care to comment?

https://usafunithistory.com/usaf-structure-and-lineage-history.html

17 hours ago, Skitzo said:

To any of the old heads out there… we’ve done the “no groups” thing before and have arrived at the present structure for reasons.

While this missive addresses organizational change histories it uses relatively bland terms.

Off hand I can reason that it will be difficult for a single wing commander to deal with discipline issues as well as there being difficulty being an operational war fighting wing dealing with a base commander who may or may not be in your chain.

Anybody out there care to comment?

https://usafunithistory.com/usaf-structure-and-lineage-history.html

To the friction with the base commanders point, apparently some old heads said that once upon a time, the base commanders were 0-5s, meaning the 0-6 Wing Commander could get his way; if the base commander is an 0-6 (think current Air Base Wings), then there will definitely be issues. I can see divorcing the current Ops Wing Kings from installation commander duties having its pros and cons.

To the span of control point, the Army often has multiple Battalion commanders (0-5s), under one 0-6 Brigade Commander, anecdotally with more discipline issues than an Air Force Wing. Seems that Army Battalion commanders are trusted much more than Air Force Squadron commanders. Don’t get me wrong, I have a lot of issues with the Army but they get some things right. 

• Like 1

To the friction with the base commanders point, apparently some old heads said that once upon a time, the base commanders were 0-5s, meaning the 0-6 Wing Commander could get his way; if the base commander is an 0-6 (think current Air Base Wings), then there will definitely be issues. I can see divorcing the current Ops Wing Kings from installation commander duties having its pros and cons.
To the span of control point, the Army often has multiple Battalion commanders (0-5s), under one 0-6 Brigade Commander, anecdotally with more discipline issues than an Air Force Wing. Seems that Army Battalion commanders are trusted much more than Air Force Squadron commanders. Don’t get me wrong, I have a lot of issues with the Army but they get some things right. 

I cannot see base commanders being O-5s in the USAF. That would eliminate FSS/MSG O-6 billets. But I guess it could work somehow.

I had a US Army Infantry Company as my Security Forces at CADJ. I definitely agree with your sentiment—they were squared away (at least the team I got) and any/all issues were handled swiftly.

What we will need is to develop our officers to take that on. Flight Command will need to be a no kidding command with a big change to how discipline is run.

It’s going to be an interesting couple of years!

• Upvote 1

I cannot see base commanders being O-5s in the USAF. That would eliminate FSS/MSG O-6 billets. But I guess it could work somehow.

I had a US Army Infantry Company as my Security Forces at CADJ. I definitely agree with your sentiment—they were squared away (at least the team I got) and any/all issues were handled swiftly.

What we will need is to develop our officers to take that on. Flight Command will need to be a no kidding command with a big change to how discipline is run.

It’s going to be an interesting couple of years!

Important note, a Company commander in a regular aviation line company is a Captain usually about mid way through the rank TIG.

A company in Infantry/SF/etc is a Major.

The only place you will find O4 commanders at the company level are the Medevac or UAS Company or in SOF. That is due to field grade being the required authority in the Army for risk mitigation in just about any solo isolated operations.

And whatever you’ve seen in Iraq or other places the last twenty years forget it. That is a COIN task force model. LSCO we fight as a brigade, as an enabling brigade of the Division.

I’ll tell you that if the AF wants more talented leaders they need to stop focusing on exec, aide, PME etc and actually pay attention beyond the spreadsheet of who has leadership talent and who doesn’t. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Danger41 said:

I’ll tell you that if the AF wants more talented leaders they need to stop focusing on exec, aide, PME etc and actually pay attention beyond the spreadsheet of who has leadership talent and who doesn’t. 

I'm sure they'll get right on that, after fixing acquisitions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Is the army really doing a better job? That's a real question. As far as I've seen the people in all services who make it to the top today are at best, morons, and at worst, hypocritical Yes-men.

Although I admit I don't seem to see much about the Navy, so maybe they're doing better?

It's very hard to tell if someone is good at something when you're not doing the thing. And we are not in a war, so it's pretty hard to pick out good wartime leaders. We are in a time of massive administrivia, and so unsurprisingly the military has no problem picking out the best paper pushers.

Edited by Lord Ratner
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Lord Ratner said:

Is the army really doing a better job? That's a real question. As far as I've seen the people in all services who make it to the top today are at best, morons, and at worst, hypocritical Yes-men.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2024/03/22/army-4-star-who-pressured-panel-help-career-of-unfit-officer-suspended-facing-pentagon-investigation.html?amp

The Army has their own way of doing things, that’s for sure…

Chuck

• Upvote 1

On 3/23/2024 at 4:40 PM, Lord Ratner said:

It's very hard to tell if someone is good at something when you're not doing the thing. And we are not in a war, so it's pretty hard to pick out good wartime leaders. We are in a time of massive administrivia, and so unsurprisingly the military has no problem picking out the best paper pushers.

This. Peacetime managers vs wartime leaders. Some people are good at both but many aren’t. 2 different skill sets and not being at war it’s hard to know who is actually a good wartime leader.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Dapper Dan Man said:

Shooting from the hip. I like how they didn’t even socialize this with the HASC/SASC before because there still is no real plan.

Just like getting after bureaucracy in accelerate change or lose.

”Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David W. Allvin acknowledged both the missing details and the need for congressional buy-in Feb. 28 during a speaking engagement at the Brookings Institution.

“How we engage Congress, how we engage the stakeholders, how we look internally to our Air Force in different ways to accomplish this that aren’t fiscally intensive is going to be key to this—which is why it may be unsatisfying to some because we’re rolling this out without having the actual signed official document on what the end state looks like,” he said.”

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, jice said:

More local than the DAF re-org…
https://theaviationist.com/2024/04/04/u-s-air-force-18th-aggressor-squadron-redesignated-as-18th-fighter-interceptor-squadron/

Neato. Anyone with SA able to explain the ‘why?’

The "why" was pretty apparent from the article.  Re-read the second paragraph.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-jets-intercept-4-russian-warplanes-near-alaska-norad/

2 hours ago, stract said:

The "why" was pretty apparent from the article.  Re-read the second paragraph.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-jets-intercept-4-russian-warplanes-near-alaska-norad/

Thanks. No questions; cleared off.

Anybody *with SA* on the actual advantages to designation as a FIS? (as opposed to a fighter squadron or aggressor squadron that conducts air defense missions, which was a relatively regular occurrence).

Put another way: what follows with the name change in terms of budgets, manning, etc.? Why FIS rather than Fighter Squadron (wrt resourcing, etc.)?