college

wikz

what's up guys, sorry for the surplus amount of questions.

to keep it short, i'm trying to decide if I should pursue a BS in psychology or a BA in psychology. I am planning on applying for the guard and I know GPA weighs heavier than major, but there are a few factors that are in play.  I am confident if I pursued a BA that I could graduate with a decently higher GPA than a BS as a result of less math, physics and science classes. However, a BS instead of a BA would challenge me more, improving studying skills and work ethic.

ultimately my question is, would it be worth it in the long run if I pursued a BS, improving my studying skills and possibly preparing myself for UPT, but lowering my GPA, or should I stick with BA?

I understand that it's up to me to test my capabilities, but I would love some information from your guys' own experience. what did you major in and do you think it helped you?

I would appreciate any input. thank you guys! 🙂

Hot take…the airlines don’t require a degree. Spend your money on hours to get to the regionals, run hard and get to the majors. Live on ramen for another 2 years until you’re a narrow body captain, then spend your money on a technical school for something like welding. Profit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

what's up guys, sorry for the surplus amount of questions.
to keep it short, i'm trying to decide if I should pursue a BS in psychology or a BA in psychology. I am planning on applying for the guard and I know GPA weighs heavier than major, but there are a few factors that are in play.  I am confident if I pursued a BA that I could graduate with a decently higher GPA than a BS as a result of less math, physics and science classes. However, a BS instead of a BA would challenge me more, improving studying skills and work ethic.
ultimately my question is, would it be worth it in the long run if I pursued a BS, improving my studying skills and possibly preparing myself for UPT, but lowering my GPA, or should I stick with BA?
I understand that it's up to me to test my capabilities, but I would love some information from your guys' own experience. what did you major in and do you think it helped you?
I would appreciate any input. thank you guys!

Questions:
Are you already in college?
Have you started talking to Guard units?
Would you be willing to enlist first in a Guard unit or join only if they offered a commission and SUPT slot?
Have you started flying?
If you can’t fly for the Guard what’s plan B, C, etc…? Assuming you are in the Guard at that time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Clark Griswold

currently in college and in the enlistment process as of right now for my home unit (hopefully through sometime early next year).

ive flown in the Cessna a couple times, although, it hasn't counted towards my flight hours. it was to test the waters and to see if my interest was beyond just talk. (hoping to get my PPL in one of the upcoming summers; really whenever I have the time to focus on it).

in regards to @Boomer6 and your last question, I honestly am shooting towards a psychology major because I would enjoy the class, hopefully resulting in a better GPA. I have no plans of being a psychologist. my plan B if I ever failed at getting hired by my home unit, Med DQ'd, or washed out, I would work towards the majors. anecdotally, ive heard that guard fighter pilots who washout get the opportunity to find a different unit and fly heavies which would cover the surfeit amount of money and hours required if I did go that route. 

Ultimately, I am not stuck between BS or BA because of backup options, but a way to improve myself and the likelihood of succeeding. 

probably an inessential decision, but I do believe challenging yourself reveals your potential and compartmentalizes any personal "limits" you would have in UPT. 

Edited by wikz

[mention=20373]Clark Griswold[/mention]
currently in college and in the enlistment process as of right now for my home unit (hopefully through sometime early next year).
ive flown in the Cessna a couple times, although, it hasn't counted towards my flight hours. it was to test the waters and to see if my interest was beyond just talk. (hoping to get my PPL in one of the upcoming summers; really whenever I have the time to focus on it).

Good, sounds like you’re going the right direction
As to BA or BS, to the Guard / AF I’m not sure it would matter or how much in whatever candidate selection method they are using now
I never sat on a SUPT candidate selection board but I did on several promotion and interview boards
If we knew the candidate was not an immature knucklehead by his / her service in the Wing, that paid the biggest dividends IMHO, good grades, flying time, etc all matter too but your performance in the Wing is where you’ll make your mark
I’m telling you something you already know but FWIW
If you think you can score a higher gpa with a BA vs BS, and you want that degree then proceed that route
Except for test pilot / astronaut, the tech degree doesn’t matter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Go with the easiest degree for highest GPA. Nobody in the guard will give a fuck about BA vs. BS…they’ll glance at your GPA and that’s about it. As far as backup civ life, ref boomer’s comment above. Doesn’t make sense to do psych if you have no desire to do psych in the civ world. Also, if you do change your mind and go that way, be prepared to need a masters, and then be in massive debt with decades ahead of you to break even. College is a losing proposition these days for many people, so go to check the box so you can commission, but that’s about the only reason to go (if your main goal is mil officer/pilot).

• Upvote 1

Yup. Exactly what @Boomer6 and @brabus said: They're likely not going to care about BS/BA; get a degree that is useful to you in case you don't get to play airplane for some unforeseen reason. Furthering that, it's great you want to know about psych but, if you have zero interest in making it a career, you're just wasting your money. You can buy some books to read/learn about psych and, if you really want to go through some formal courses in it, get a minor in psych to go with the major that's going to get you paid (or just rack up hours for airlines). Always try to open as many doors as you can; it'll allow you more options down the road when life inevitably changes. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/3/2023 at 3:57 AM, Boomer6 said:

If your plan B is to go to the majors then why not get an aviation degree and start building those hours?

to give it straight, I haven't really put much research on the commercial backup. i try to maximize my chance of graduating SUPT (if the day ever came) with every opportunity I find, like this thread. I always imagined if I washed out of SUPT and lost a fighter slot, that I would just do heavies, earning enough hours to apply for the majors. ive seen you guys say that military pilots are strong candidates for the major airlines, so I thought my major didn't really matter. that's what I tell everybody when they ask me my major. "I am doing psychology as a stepping stone to get a good GPA to apply for a pilot slot at my home unit."

another problem is Hawaii is small and our only university doesn't offer any aviation degrees except aerospace engineering. I would have to be a mad man to go down that route lol. I always planned to go out of state for college, but enlisting in the 154th wing precludes that idea.

I see where you're coming from by getting an aviation degree and building hours, but with my situation, I don't think it's possible. 

do major airlines care about degrees? lets say everything did workout and I was a part time pilot looking to get hired by the majors after accumulating enough hours; would it matter what major I chose?

Edited by wikz

5 hours ago, brabus said:

Go with the easiest degree for highest GPA. Nobody in the guard will give a about BA vs. BS…they’ll glance at your GPA and that’s about it. As far as backup civ life, ref boomer’s comment above. Doesn’t make sense to do psych if you have no desire to do psych in the civ world. Also, if you do change your mind and go that way, be prepared to need a masters, and then be in massive debt with decades ahead of you to break even. College is a losing proposition these days for many people, so go to check the box so you can commission, but that’s about the only reason to go (if your main goal is mil officer/pilot).

sorry, i'm not sure I fully understand. if I chose the easiest degree possible, wouldn't that make no sense as well if I have no interest in pursuing it like psychology? or are you alluding to since I have no plans to further pursue a career in the degree of my choice than I should choose an easier one?

being a psychologist has never been in the question so I won't have to worry too much about a masters. like you said, college for me was always just to check the box.

Edited by wikz

1 hour ago, Day Man said:

get a basic business degree...way more flexibility than psych

I heard getting an English degree is useful, able to write a sentence without leaning on grammar and spell check should always be useful, I could be wrong. 

@wikz What I meant is do the easiest degree (for you personally) to get the highest GPA. That usually means having some interest in the topic, so I suppose that could be psych in your case. But definitely do not make it harder by doing BS over BA. If you think you’ll do better at business for example, then do that. 

Airlines are hiring without degrees now. That could change by the time you get to that hypothetical point, so having the box checked isn’t a bad thing. 

Edited by brabus
  • Thanks 1

My entire point was if for some reason you cannot become a pilot (fighter or otherwise) it’s prudent to have a backup career you can stand doing. What happens if you become a pilot and have a life altering medical issue that prevents you from flying for the military or airlines? I know far more young fighter dudes that will never fly again than I would have thought possible. A lot of things need to fall into place for you to make it as a pilot. Which is why I would advise you to pursue a degree you can use. 

• Upvote 2

On 11/3/2023 at 4:06 PM, wikz said:

another problem is Hawaii is small and our only university doesn't offer any aviation degrees except aerospace engineering. I would have to be a mad man to go down that route lol.

Do major airlines care about degrees? .....would it matter what major I chose?

.......'seems like a business degree is something I am going to look into in the future.

Took me 5 years to graduate from the U of Hawaii.  Who in their right mind does it in 4 over there?  Majored in Business barely passing due to spending most of my time on the U's Sailing Team.  I am living proof college has little bearing on your future aviation endeavors as I flew fighters and for Delta.

Edited by Springer
  • Upvote 1