College Football

O Face

1 hour ago, uhhello said:

The use of 'we' is hilarious 🙂 Carry on.  

If you've attended and graduated from a university and contribute financially you don't think that puts you in that tribe?

Small pun intended. 

4 hours ago, VMFA187 said:

If you've attended and graduated from a university and contribute financially you don't think that puts you in that tribe?

Small pun intended. 

I still find it funny.  Doesn't make it right or wrong, makes it funny.  

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, VMFA187 said:

My apologies, it's slightly offensive when you question a program's culture, which we've had to rebuild from rock bottom due to a previous DEI hire who was smoking weed with the players and out bangin' college chicks instead of leading his team. 

You don't understand why a team who went undefeated no longer wants to participate when they were left out in a historic decision? What happened last weekend? The teams with losses, lost. So results on the field matter, but they didn't for Florida State. I don't fault one of those guys who not playing - I think the entire university should have declined the invitation. 

The DEI hire was not the issue, it was the damage done by Jimbo who ruined the culture and legacy built by Bobby.  Jimbo built a necrotic culture then ran away in the middle of the night to get paid, not surprising ran A&M into the dirt - oh and he had weed problems of his own three freshmen suspended for smoking weed in the LOCKER ROOM. 

I think Norvell has done a great job of rebuilding the FSU program and brand but how you carry yourself through adversity matters and yes it is part of the culture.  I know this is personal to you as an alum, but this has happened to numerous other schools who were either left out of the playoff or worse didn't get enough support when we VOTED on a national champion.  Yes FSU should have boycotted the bowl game, but they made a conscious decision to play (likely a monetary decision), so yes the players should have stepped up. 

Opting out of bowl games is a relatively new phenomenon, it certainly didn't happen when I played ball with Jim Thorpe and the Gipper.  I think back to many years of playing this game (2nd grade through college), and there was a recurring them of "team" and "family" instilled by coaches that you hear kids talk about today.  Unfortunately driven by NIL and the NFL many college players don't really believe that and drop their allegiance at the drop of a hat.  Fortunately some kids still get it and I would point to an incident that was captured after the Alabama v Michgan game when everyone stopped watching.  Tyler Booker and J.J. McCarthy played on the same high school football team.  Tyler found JJ and listen to what he said..."I love you baby, go finish the job, I am so happy for you bro"  THAT is culture that matters.

• Like 2

Back to working on and driving my old cars on the weekends. Still interested to see how this portal ends up going. 

Wonder if Michigan is going to get to 1,000 wins twice and have to give up that title. Regardless, their ends did a hell of a job getting to Penix and making him look worse than he has all season and completely unlike the Heisman candidate he was. 

Nick Saban Retiring

In what amounts to perhaps one of the most seismic of shifts in the college football landscape in recent memory....Nick Saban retiring at Bama.  

While I can’t stand the man, nor the throngs of people anxiously waiting with lotion soaked hands too cup his balls throughout the state of Alabama….

I respect the fact he waited until after the Championship was over to announce this and it make it about him after Alabama was out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 3

Glad to see him leave, for selfish reasons. Probably didn’t like where CFB is headed. Interested to see who replace him, Lanning seems to be the leader. Hope Norvell isn’t a legitimate candidate.

3 hours ago, herkbum said:

Lanning has stated he is staying at Oregon.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Saw that. An Alabama player just committed to FSU so it'd be hard to believe he did so without knowing Norvell was staying. Should be an interesting 48 hours. 

14 hours ago, uhhello said:

Funny that Michigan cheating for two years and their HC purchasing a product for a recruit didn’t bring any violations to them.

Yet we are penalized because our assistant coach drove a recruit and his parents to meet with someone to discuss an NIL deal. 

Clearly no bias. 

Of note, head of NCAA enforcement was former FSU AD who got run out of Tallahassee after his DEI hire who ran our football program into the ground.

No fucks given - Norvell just extended his contract and ‘Bama is about to burn!

42 minutes ago, VMFA187 said:

Funny that Michigan cheating for two years and their HC purchasing a product for a recruit didn’t bring any violations to them.

Yet we are penalized because our assistant coach drove a recruit and his parents to meet with someone to discuss an NIL deal. 

Clearly no bias. 

Of note, head of NCAA enforcement was former FSU AD who got run out of Tallahassee after his DEI hire who ran our football program into the ground.

FSU can't even cheat well :) 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, VMFA187 said:

Clearly no bias. 

The hits just keep on coming for FSU. Seminole Nation hasn’t been screwed this bad since the Trail of Tears.

• Haha 1

On 1/12/2024 at 5:49 PM, Boomer6 said:

The hits just keep on coming for FSU. Seminole Nation hasn’t been screwed this bad since the Trail of Tears.

We kept our coach... Like I said, zero fucks given. 

We've crushed the recruiting portal, I thought '25 would be our year. We'll be a contender again in '24, just like we were this year. I think we'll also be in another conference come '25. 

• Haha 1

On 1/13/2024 at 7:55 PM, VMFA187 said:

We've crushed the recruiting portal...

Well almost, Miami won out over FSU and signed Cam Ward, 2024 is going to be interesting.  The real trail of tears will be in Tuscaloosa...with Saban gone there is no way DeBoer stops that program from sinking back to mediocrity.

On 1/16/2024 at 6:43 PM, ecugringo said:

Interesting take on Sabans impact on the economic impact on the univ.

football program valued at over $1b

enrollment went from 25k to 40k students.  Huge influx of out of state students.

https://www.al.com/news/2024/01/what-economic-impact-has-nick-saban-had-on-alabama-he-was-worth-more-than-1-billion.html?outputType=amp

Man, I feel bad for the Alabama fans or grads who are 30 or younger... Kind of. They've known nothing but winning pretty much their entire lives. Funny how when they got into the CFP Invitational and told FSU fans to get over it. Now they're whining non-stop because their dudes are leaving in droves, and there is no open portal talent to replace them. 

On 1/16/2024 at 5:02 AM, ClearedHot said:

Well almost, Miami won out over FSU and signed Cam Ward, 2024 is going to be interesting.  The real trail of tears will be in Tuscaloosa...with Saban gone there is no way DeBoer stops that program from sinking back to mediocrity.

Cam Ward is a playmaker and was definitely our #1 target. I think DJU will perform just fine, especially with all the talent we've added in the last week. Miami probably has more talent than anyone else in the conference, on the field. But your coach has shown that he can't harness that so far. Once again, we'll see but FSU has won the state two years in a row.

I'm not sure Alabama will sink to "mediocrity," but they will return to earth and be in the top 1/3 of SEC instead of #1 or 2 every single year. I probably put them at #4 in the SEC right now behind UGA, Texas, and Ole Miss.