KC-135 Disappearance off Dover

Boilermaker

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3060026/US-Air-Force-refuelling-aircraft-falls-radar-English-Channel.html

Anyone know anything about this? I couldn't find any other articles. Thoughts and prays with the crew.

Apparently they landed fine. Malfunction forced them to power down all the electronics. No transponder = disappear from commercial radar.

I heard the plane was underwater for at least 45 minutes before reappearing on radar...

#thetruthisoutthere

Sounds about right. It takes about 10 minutes to enable, and another 10 to disable #tankerstealthmode. Add in 20-25 minutes to dispense the chemtrails...

Sounds about right. It takes about 10 minutes to enable, and another 10 to disable #tankerstealthmode. Add in 20-25 minutes to dispense the chemtrails...

Don't remember testing that at PDM, is that something you install in the field .

The crew forgot to ask so the bean counters put them in timeout.

It's unfortunate that there's an element of truth to this...

It's unfortunate that there's an element of truth to this...

Yup, nothing like landing after a sortie only to find an e-mail saying that you need to immediately fill out your tanker tracker.

Took off after a 2+00 receiver delay and came back to two e-mails telling me to fill out the tracker.

Affirm. They had an issue with the rudder.

There seemed to be a lot of RUMINT about an electrical issue/fire.

Probably because it's tough to imagine how a rudder issue would cause the transponder to fail, dropping the plane from civilian radar systems. I think that's where the electrical story comes in.

Yup, nothing like landing after a sortie only to find an e-mail saying that you need to immediately fill out your tanker tracker.

Or doing an FMS 791/AMCART exactly as directed by the very specific instructions in the G2 cut, then having the WRDCO email your Chief Boom a few days later telling him how fucked up you are.

Back on topic...

I was wondering how a rudder issue would cause a com/nav failure/shutdown. I guess Aviate-Navigate-Communicate worked out well for Quid, but not so much for the more-rabid British planespotters.