Drone Pilots: We Don’t Get No Respect

"The Pentagon is considering awarding a Distinguished Warfare Medal to drone pilots who work on military bases often far removed from the battlefield."

Nice. Pred/Reaper drivers will be highly motivated and feel their worth is totally recognized by receiving this decoration.

On the surface, it seems like agreat idea to have a new type of award to recognize a new type of combat. I've been working with some shit hot MQ-9 guys recently who deserve recognition for what they do. That said, our awards process is already totally fucked and most manned aircraft aren't recognized for simialrly unfucking ground assaults, going winchester, buddy lazing other platforms and finishing with jackpot EKIA.... which happens on the regular.

Since the AF awards process is already a total fail I'm not sure if contributing another ribbon means much, but it's better than doing nothing and the current situation where national level objectives are being prosecuted by people who aren't recognized or afforded career advancement for doing important shit is unacceptable.

• Upvote 2

I'm not a flier so I'm ignorant of the Decs you guys get for stuff. Would this fill in for Air Medals for drone guys? Does it read that way, or is this less of a sorties/missions flown, more accomplishment based sort of thing?

A simple "Thanks guys, you saved our asses today," as we're checking out, works for me. Or not even that...the dudes on the ground still breathing as I check out is reward enough.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work for the jacked up OPR/Awards program we have...

Edited by SocialD

I'm not a flier so I'm ignorant of the Decs you guys get for stuff. Would this fill in for Air Medals for drone guys? Does it read that way, or is this less of a sorties/missions flown, more accomplishment based sort of thing?

It would be the drone equivalent of the DFC based on what I read. Kind of like how Aerial Achievement Medals are what drone guys get instead of Air Medals.

So far we haven't had anyone killed in combat aviation by running into a pred, but we've had numberous guys killed for other reasons. So you and your buddy are 100% wrong.

I appreciate and agree with about 90% of your overall points. However, I take issue with your analysis of my job and the risks associated with it. I can see you've thought this through, but the weakest part of your case is your huge assumptions about flying manned aircraft in theater. So as sharp as you are, when you start making broad points based on assumptions you look like a clown. A clown who can't understand brevity. I recommend cutting the 'my drive home fromt he office is as risky as your flight in theater' aspect from your overall argument if you want to be taken seriously.

C-130.jpg

Better lucky than good, right?

There does need to be a way to recognize/document certain contributions without demeaning established decorations. Today a Reaper crew can roll into a TIC hearing lines _, _ & cleared hot at check in, figue out what the hell is actually happening, clean the wings off on the fuckos within DC, bring the fighters in and lase in their GBUs (if they happen to have a difficult time staying tally), rack up a couple dozen EKIA to save the day and end up with a pat on the back. It will have zero impact on the current group that have been f'd with beyond belief over the past few years, but at some point the community will have to move beyond self loathing and take some pride in what is accomplished.

Hypothetical scenario right Porkchop? :beer: Good on you and your bros. RPA dudes should never have to buy drinks.

Edited by Whitman

I had a few close calls with USAF RPAs in the AOR....but far more close calls with Navy F-18 Prowlers goddamn aerostats

Those tethered balloons that have been there since forever and are clearly marked with a red circle on any Tac planning product really sneak up on you.

Those tethered balloons that have been there since forever and are clearly marked with a red circle on any Tac planning product really sneak up on you.

You haven't flown in OEF recently.

Your info is outdated.

• Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...

"There's not a lot of time for emotion here. There's a war going on and we have a job to do," says Weaver, a veteran F15 fighter pilot.

"I've flown manned aircraft and believe me this, in terms of combat, is more up close and personal."

Respect

Wow, if that is not a blue pill hype-fest, I don't know what is. Guys I guess have to make their crap jobs smell like roses so that they can still get some form of perceived respect. The RPA term is just one more aspect of the AF playing with words to make themselves feel better. The best play on words the AF has fed those involved with the UAV community is "the truth changes." Which is in reference to nobody getting out of UAV's for a very long time. I would be more understanding if leadership just admitted their faults by saying they screwed up and had no real clue of how to plan building the UAV community. By the way, my own Wing CC, who is qual'd in the pred, called them drones in an O-call.

Stop it! There are no whiners! We are winners...you're all winners. You're the best of the best, and dont you forget it! There is no greater pleasure than living in middle of nowhere New Mexico, 'flying' a tip of the spear drones (pardon my common parlance), and getting up close and personal in warfare, then going to the O'Club afterwards and tell war stories while talking with my hands...I mean fingers. No need to point at watches here while telling stories...we just simulate typing on the bar! Yes...we are winners. We kicked the F-22s out because WE are the future of warfare!! WE run this Air Force....along with finance!

Be us...or envy us! (Hmmm....that should be our motto...I wonder how to say that in Latin! I'll just ask my Latin American neighbor...I am in New Mexico after all)

• Upvote 2