Boeing Wins $35B Tanker Contract

Check 6

Guest Crew Report

Boeing's website says it is a KC-10 style boom with ALAS and IDS. Looks like it is possibly a camera system, though, from what I can tell.

The avionics look decent on the pilot side.

Boeing reps told me in '07 that the USAF couldn't afford for them to redesign the empanage to install a sighting door/window like the -135. So cameras it is.

Guest Hueypilot812

#3 Here's to 50 more years of USAF tanker toads getting type ratings in airplanes the airlines no longer fly.

I couldn't help but laugh when I read that one...because it's so true...

Not so true. With my DC-10 type, I'm a shoe in @ airlines such as Biman Bangladesh & World Airways. Just waiting for this new round of VSP to come through.

Edited because I guess BB just retired their last 3-holer

Edited by Techsan

By the time the KC-46A becomes operational in the early 2020s, after the numerous lawsuits, cost overruns, budget cuts, BRAC politics, etc, the key to getting hired in the civilian world will be a UAV type...

#3 Here's to 50 more years of USAF tanker toads getting type ratings in airplanes the airlines no longer fly.

Gee - I don't remember that being a contract requirement for the bid. Maybe EADS can use the fact that pilots that fly their A330 will have a type rating that is truly marketable on the outside and therefore more pilots will be willing to serve in the AF and therefore pilot recruiting costs will be lower in the long run and so they have a point they can use in the their bid protest. Just kidding Tanker guys. I think we are all happy just to fly an aircraft (except maybe Predator guys) and getting a type rating on a current in use airframe is a nice bennie none of have to have to keep us flying and happy.

Boeing - Congrats on the win. Now just don't screw it up.

Gee - I don't remember that being a contract requirement for the bid. Maybe EADS can use the fact that pilots that fly their A330 will have a type rating that is truly marketable on the outside and therefore more pilots will be willing to serve in the AF and therefore pilot recruiting costs will be lower in the long run and so they have a point they can use in the their bid protest. Just kidding Tanker guys. I think we are all happy just to fly an aircraft (except maybe Predator guys) and getting a type rating on a current in use airframe is a nice bennie none of have to have to keep us flying and happy.

Boeing - Congrats on the win. Now just don't screw it up.

Your humor detector is INOP.

I really don't want the next headline about this to be "EADS taking AF, Boeing to court over tanker victory"......

Or Obama could stop the whole thing by just telling the French to f* off because he wants to keep the jobs and the money in the US.

I'm certain Sarkozy wouldn't hesitate to do the same to us...

Or Obama could stop the whole thing by just telling the French to f* off because he wants to keep the jobs and the money in the US.

I'm certain Sarkozy wouldn't hesitate to do the same to us...

True. What I'm waiting for is GE to demand a second engine option.

I say, not likely. He hasn't the balls for it, and may not want to do it anyway. If EADS creates enough jobs in the US, then Obama can stop the Boeing sale, and give it to EADS. After all, aren't the French our biggest ally?

Don't count out any weird and bizarre scenario when it comes to current political decision making.

FM

• Downvote 1

Yes, and everything I've read says that Boeing put the offer together with the PW 4062 on the wings... hence the joke.

Ah, my bad, I thought the CF6 was the only 767 engine. Well, GE's getting business to put them on C-5Ms, so...

I think I heard that Boeing recently built up a new 767 assembly line on the backside of the Everett factory - move the line out of where it is now and make room for more 787s (though building those isn't a problem in Everett right now, it's where to put them once they're assembled).

Ah, my bad, I thought the CF6 was the only 767 engine. Well, GE's getting business to put them on C-5Ms, so...

I think I heard that Boeing recently built up a new 767 assembly line on the backside of the Everett factory - move the line out of where it is now and make room for more 787s (though building those isn't a problem in Everett right now, it's where to put them once they're assembled).

Buyers can get the choice of GE, Pratts, or Rolls on the 76s. But GE has plenty of business from Big Blue, including a slightly possible purchase of new CFM-56s to replace the "new" CFMs on the -135s. Remember, the early 1980's re-engining is new in -135 terms.

• 1 month later...

Nope...if you actually READ the article you will see the WTO ruled Airbus received FOUR TIMES the subsidies the Boeing did...

Even if Boeing received the same $20 Billion that Airbus got I would still say buy Boeing, it is American. Adios Airbus...move along...and while your at it go find that plane that fell into the Atlantic.

Nope...if you actually READ the article you will see the WTO ruled Airbus received FOUR TIMES the subsidies the Boeing did...

Even if Boeing received the same $20 Billion that Airbus got I would still say buy Boeing, it is American. Adios Airbus...move along...and while your at it go find that plane that fell into the Atlantic.

Airbus bitching about anyone receiving subsidies is just stupid. Pot, kettle...black.

But I would argue that a NASA contract is no where near a subsidie...in fact...it's work.

But it said that some of the subsidies, including the Nasa contracts and some tax breaks, had had a serious impact on Airbus' interests.

"The effect of these subsidies was displacement and impedance of Airbus large civil aircraft from third country markets, significant price suppression and significant lost sales," said the WTO in a statement.

I hope this was misquoted...how the fuck does a NASA contract prevent Airbus from selling their jets to 3rd world countries?

Last I checked...NASA has never been interested in the technology surrounding B737's or BBJ's...

ARES 4? Yes.

X-48? Yes.

X-43? Yes.

Not a lot of practical civil technology in there...

• 3 months later...

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_generic.jsp?channel=aerospacedaily&id=news/asd/2011/06/29/01.xml&headline=Boeing%20Liable%20For%20KC-46%20Overage

The U.S. Air Force is expecting to pay the largest amount allowable under the KC-46A contract with Boeing to develop a KC-135 refueler replacement, with Boeing picking up the rest of the tab.

Two months after Boeing won the contract over rival EADS, which proposed an Airbus A330-based design, the Air Force got news that it would need to pay an additional $500 million to develop the 767-based tanker and deliver the first 18 aircraft.

The target cost agreed upon in February for the fixed-price, incentive-fee development was $4.4 billion, according to Air Force officials. However, “Boeing revealed, post-contract award on 25 April 2011, that during source selection it proposed a ceiling price for the [engineering and manufacturing development] contract that is less than its actual projected cost to execute the contract,” says Lt. Col. Jack Miller, an Air Force spokesman, in a statement. “Boeing is liable for all cost above the $4.9 billion contract ceiling.”

Imagine that, Boeing lied about their price to get a contract...

• Downvote 1

Boeing didn't lie...this is pretty much how fixed-price incentive contracts work. The thing is that Boeing is out of rope for overages in the EMD phase. Anything above $4.9B, and they have to pay (which the article implies that they will be).

Boeing didn't lie...this is pretty much how fixed-price incentive contracts work. The thing is that Boeing is out of rope for overages in the EMD phase. Anything above $4.9B, and they have to pay (which the article implies that they will be).

And it's money well spent for Boeing. EADS would likely have been doing the same thing.

• 5 months later...

Anyone at EGUN get to see it?

pix122111mildenhallTH.jpg

Italians Bring New 767 Tanker to Mildenhall: The Italian Air Force visited the 100th Air Refueling Wing at RAF Mildenhall, Britain, with one of its newly acquired Boeing KC-767 tankers. "We are trying to start an exchange program with the US Air Force, so they invited us here so we could show them our aircraft," said Italian Lt. Col. Mauro Del Giudice, 14th Wing operations chief and command pilot. The Italians are still training to refuel using the 767's boom. So far, they have been employing only the aircraft's drogue refueling system and are only cleared to refuel Italian aircraft. "For us, it's an opportunity to work with the best in the world, so we can learn from them," explained Del Giudice. During the visit, which began on Dec. 9, Del Giudice and an Italian boom operator flew on two KC-135 missions to observe refueling operations up close. USAF's in-development KC-46A tanker also is based on the 767 airframe. (Mildenhall report by Karen Abeyasekere)