Jump to content

WTF? (**NSFW**)


slacker

Recommended Posts



I haven’t read much specifics on the Texas situation, but two thoughts:
- It was a once in a century weather event for that region...should their power grid be built to withstand something that might happen in 100 years from now? Is that extra money and effort worth it? Put it this way, 5 years from now Texans see a bond on their ballot for billions to “winterize” their power grid to withstand blizzard conditions. It’s going to cost those taxpayers a sizable increase in tax...how many will say “ that, this is Texas, I’ll take my chances with some 100 year storm!” Probably enough to kill that bond, and I wouldn’t really blame them. I also don’t buy warranties on every item I buy at Lowe’s.
- SocialD brings up a great point about self reliance. I live in the north, have lost power for a week (along with everyone else). Everyone helped themselves and their neighbors. Nobody sued the state or sat there crying for gov to save them. Frustrating sure, but utilities were destroyed by a string of storms, and it took a ton of time/effort to fix, while those dudes worked in severe conditions. We accepted it as an annoyance, thankful people were working to fix it, and we took care of ourselves. Gov is not the answer, not being whiny pussies and having a willingness to put some elbow grease in is the answer.  
 
Edit: Not a spear at Texans, I’m guessing most are taking care of themselves/neighbors and not being whiny pussies. Comment above is addressing this general topic, agnostic of specific location in the U.S. 


Texas lost power in 2011 due to a much less severe winter. Here's the recommendations following the 2011 event: https://www.ferc.gov/sites/default/files/2020-04/08-16-11-report.pdf
It's also the only CONUS state that elected not to winterize it's grid to meet federal recommendations, and is one of the reasons their grid is isolated. Their grid is also not government run, but run by a non-profit.

I agree with you that government is not the only answer to problems. Learning skills useful in emergencies is good (heat/shelter, water purification, etc), and is having emergency supplies (though this assumes people have excess money in their budget to purchase those supplies). Neighbors helping neighbors is a good thing-that's community. But government is also a reflection of community, and allows the community to plan and pool resources together to achieve common goals for the community.

You're also right that there's a trade off; maybe Texans don't want to pay money more to prevent rare disasters. But then they'll pay the price once the risk they accepted is realized, and that price won't be paid with money (though extended power outages can't be good for businesses or the economy either), but with lives.

On your money discussion, you can make the same argument for defense spending. Do we *need* all the F-35s the AF wants to buy? Or KC-46? Sure, there is an OPLAN, but that's also just something that might happen (possibly never happen), so are those investments worth it? Put another way, I bet money for one or two F-35s or a KC-46 would go a long ways towards fixing electrical grid issues in Texas. Plus, it's much harder to generate military missions if there's no power on base, so the issue isn't unrelated from defense, just not as sexy as a weapon system.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, brabus said:

I haven’t read much specifics on the Texas situation, but two thoughts:

- It was a once in a century weather event for that region...should their power grid be built to withstand something that might happen in 100 years from now? Is that extra money and effort worth it? Put it this way, 5 years from now Texans see a bond on their ballot for billions to “winterize” their power grid to withstand blizzard conditions. It’s going to cost those taxpayers a sizable increase in tax...how many will say “fuck that, this is Texas, I’ll take my chances with some 100 year storm!” Probably enough to kill that bond, and I wouldn’t really blame them. I also don’t buy warranties on every item I buy at Lowe’s.

Should Texas receive federal disaster aid if they don’t implement federal preparedness recommendations? They wanted to be a distinct power grid in order to not be regulated but now they are getting aid for their failure to prepare for an event that had precedent only 10 years ago.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Breckey said:

Should Texas receive federal disaster aid if they don’t implement federal preparedness recommendations? They wanted to be a distinct power grid in order to not be regulated but now they are getting aid for their failure to prepare for an event that had precedent only 10 years ago.

Probably not. But neither should any other state who suffers from the effects of poor policy/financial decisions. But, we like to shovel federal money on every problem, when in Rome...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, brabus said:

Probably not. But neither should any other state who suffers from the effects of poor policy/financial decisions. But, we like to shovel federal money on every problem, when in Rome...

I think the same thing of the idiots in NW Florida continuing to build on the barrier islands after their house is destroyed in yet another hurricane.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/23/2021 at 8:31 AM, Breckey said:

Should Texas receive federal disaster aid if they don’t implement federal preparedness recommendations? They wanted to be a distinct power grid in order to not be regulated but now they are getting aid for their failure to prepare for an event that had precedent only 10 years ago.

By a logical standard? No. By the standard we have established through other disasters in other states? Yes.

 

The most important reason Texas (and all other states) shouldn't get disaster aid is that it diminishes the concept of and support for States rights. Rights fine with responsibilities, yet we are in an era of anti-responsibility.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Should Texas receive federal disaster aid if they don’t implement federal preparedness recommendations? "

Where did you get that idea?  Yes we have our own grid, but there are still thousands of pages of federal regulations our power plants must follow.

None of which would  have made a difference last week.

Oh, and it is the Blue States, not Texas, that are begging DC to help them pay for their massive deficit spending caused by wildly overgenerous government employee benefits, corrupt bureaucracies, and crony capitalism.  All while seeing their tax bases erode as productive private sector businesses and individuals flee their high taxes and crumbling schools and infrastructures.  

Edited by JimNtexas
clarification
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ViperStud said:

Spang Viper Drivers, can anyone confirm this is real?  If so, looks like we’re in for another round of PC retardation from above. 

9E926850-223B-44B2-B5BE-936166474355.jpeg

It's real. It is the latest in an absolute disaster of leadership. The dude in charge is so terrified of being fired things like this happen. Not a singular event, just the latest and most public thus far...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No way, has to be trolling. The wing and OG were solid fighter pilots/leaders as SQ/CCs at least...if this is true, they have lost their minds and the respect of any fighter pilot who has worked with/for them (except for those who decided to castrate themselves with the blue koolaid snips of course).

Edited by brabus
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, brabus said:

No way, has to be trolling. The wing and OG were solid fighter pilots/leaders as SQ/CCs at least...if this is true, they have lost their minds and the respect of any fighter pilot who has worked with/for them (except for those who decided to castrate themselves with the blue koolaid snips of course).

It's real. Congrats Phats, this is, and forever will be your legacy. Assuming your leadership is pushing this on you Phats, you had options, all of them better than this. A squadron full of guys with no callsigns would be better than this Sesame Street spectacle of a naming you propose. The Warhawks deserve better. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Waingro said:

It's real. Congrats Phats, this is, and forever will be your legacy. Assuming your leadership is pushing this on you Phats, you had options, all of them better than this. A squadron full of guys with no callsigns would be better than this Sesame Street spectacle of a naming you propose. The Warhawks deserve better. 

I have my doubts this is coming from anyone above him. Phats is the worst commander I've seen, and he lost that squadron a long, long time ago. Not to mention his hand in the slam piece that was the Air Force Times article targeting the previous OG/CC. He needed to be fired years ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unbelievable. I don’t know Phats, but if this is solely his plan, then it needs to be crushed by Smirk and/or Fuge. If it’s their idea, then they have sold their souls and are no longer the men I knew. But, that’s very hard to believe...sounds like it’s fairly plausible this is SQ/CC level dumbassery. I hope that’s true, and he’s shortly about to get his dicked kicked in by his bosses. 

Edited by brabus
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not long before you'll no longer be able to critique someone in a debrief. 

A buddy of mine taught an early indoc class recently - At the end he asked if there were any questions on the content. No one spoke so he said, "Silence is consent" and excused the class. Three of the flight students reported his comment which has been used throughout my entire career. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is no world in which fighter pilot callsigns will be run by the EO office. It's hilarious that this dumbass of a squadron commander thinks that would ever be a thing that anyone would agree to.  I would 110% prefer to not have an official callsign than to do this dickdance and I know every single other pilot in the entire CAF feels the exact same way. 

The predictable result of this is that squadrons are just going to have secret roll calls and namings off base with no bobs invited. Those will be twice as rowdy and irresponsible as if they just let us have our fun in the bar.

If I was the mayor during this train wreck I would, in order:

-resign

-cancel all future rolls calls and namings

-tell everyone in the squadron to stop wearing their callsign name tags

-and then I'd coordinate on the bro level to throw the biggest effing offensive secret naming rager of all time.

 

Edited by Pooter
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Anon696969 said:

It's real. It is the latest in an absolute disaster of leadership. The dude in charge is so terrified of being fired things like this happen. Not a singular event, just the latest and most public thus far...

As most know it started years ago and is only going to getting worse...(see thread about USAFA safe spaces).

My old squadron had to remove a ton of heritage stuff going back to combat ops in Vietnam. 

I remember my Wing/CC interview with Gen Rand...he was pulling his hair out after a naming ceremony at the IFF Sq at Randolph...I can only imagine how bad it is now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ClearedHot said:

As most know it started years ago and is only going to getting worse...(see thread about USAFA safe spaces).

My old squadron had to remove a ton of heritage stuff going back to combat ops in Vietnam. 

I remember my Wing/CC interview with Gen Rand...he was pulling his hair out after a naming ceremony at the IFF Sq at Randolph...I can only imagine how bad it is now.

That pisses me off more than anything because you know gen rand was around back in the heyday when you could get away with anything.  But now that he's old and the one who has to provide top cover he's not into it anymore. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, brabus said:

No way, has to be trolling. The wing and OG were solid fighter pilots/leaders as SQ/CCs at least...if this is true, they have lost their minds and the respect of any fighter pilot who has worked with/for them (except for those who decided to castrate themselves with the blue koolaid snips of course).

You haven't figured out that good dude ≠ good leader?

 

The system is designed to select for exactly this type of action. Every single step of the process. 

 

There's only one option: quit. Your country doesn't need you right now. And when it does, these careerist clowns will be the first to go.

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...