The Foglesong Thread

Sounds like a bunch of reasonable things. I can't imagine why anyone would have a problem with him [/sarcasm]

Is Greg Byrne any relation to Bill Byrne (current Texas A&M Athletic director)?

BQZip01,

Greg is the son of Bill Byrne.

Tracy

Regulation "requires" the commander to tell the officer why he got the P or DP.

Just out of curiosity, where is that required?

That's not in the current AFI governing Officer promotions -- did it used to be?

All the CC has to do is provide a copy of the PRF to the officer 30 days prior to the board; no explanation is required unless he is given a "DNP".

Just out of curiosity, where is that required?

That's not in the current AFI governing Officer promotions -- did it used to be?

Yes, the CC had to explain the promotion. (I don't remmeber the exact working). Later, it changed.

Tracy

• 3 weeks later...

I almost cried.

"The enemy fears him. West Virginians revere him."

...and to my horror, one of the last pics in that video has me in it...

Little did we know as cadets how famous "Doc" was around the Air Force. He always came back to run with cadets and give speeches at ceremonies & the dining-in and we all thought he was the second coming of LeMay from the way he talked up himself. Even better was our PAS was also an avid runner and had been McPeak's Aide-de-Camp as PACAF/CC and CSAF... many thought these two were the epitome of officership at the time! Funny thing is that the WVU visitor center is packed with more videos like thi about who seems to be their favorite alumni - you'd think he cured cancer or something.

All it took was one conversation with my dad to realign my perception of reality about McPeak - he had been a SQ/CC at Yokota while McPeak was at PACAF then went to the Joint Staff while he was CSAF and SECAF - the conversation almost immediately turned into a rant.

Similar story when I mentioned Doc to my friend who had just PCS'd from Lajes. Doc was passing through Lajes on the way back from leave in the states on 01 Jan a few years back and called an all-officers' spouses' call with his wife, where they then proceeded to preach about the importance of family time in the Air Force. As soon as the floor opened for questions the first person to speak stood up and asked if they really wanted to pull them away from their families in the middle of the day on New Year's Day to tell them how important family time was... and Doc was not happy, talking about how valuable his time was and how he made time to talk to them.

I tried searching for the video of him doing the flyover for a WVU football game in a C-130 where he might have been in the same zip code as the stadium. As they announced the flyover was being done by him, everyone in the stands just kind of looked around to see where the prop noise was coming from, and saw the herk in the distance.

I will say one nice thing about Doc: his Capt Aide-de-Camp at USAFE was really cool, and easy on the eyes.

I gotta tell you guys...sometimes you are witness to the trainwreck in action, and you're powerless to stop it. We have a certain leader in our squadron who, like Doc, is a total douche-nozzle, and who, I kid you not, is one of the worst people in the squadron when it comes to performing in the aircraft...this guy is most likely tracked for O-6. He and the SQ/CC go way back, so even when this guy makes completely boneheaded decisions, there's not much traction to be gained there.

For example, while he was on leave, the SQ/CC asked us to draft a waiver for our upcoming deployment. We did, and gave it to the SQ/CC. Keep in mind, this particular leader is on leave. When he gets back, he pulls our shop chief aside, stands him at attention, and yells at him for "usurping his authority" because we didn't route the memo through him first. While he was on leave.

One does wonder how these douches keep getting promoted. How do they hide their sheer idiocy and lack of leadership skills from their own leaders? Because they certainly aren't hiding it from their subordinates.

I gotta tell you guys...sometimes you are witness to the trainwreck in action, and you're powerless to stop it.

Here's a great article about this type of "leadership".

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/milreview/reed.pdf

One of the best articles I've read on the subject. It details all aspects of a shitty leader, and how there should be some type of subordinate review of the commander to keep them in check. I believe Karma (or whatever you want to call it) is a bitch, and somehow people will pay for wronging others in such ways.

Unfortunately, they are still teaching PME students with their articles, and talking about what great leaders these men are. It also seems to be an underlying tone that for one to succeed in the AF, they should shut up and color.

One does wonder how these douches keep getting promoted. How do they hide their sheer idiocy and lack of leadership skills from their own leaders? Because they certainly aren't hiding it from their subordinates.

The answer is partly due to the fact that people don't get promoted, promotion folders do! If they can keep the boss happy and keep the gold stars coming from above, nobody below them gets to vote on the promotion. By the time you get to be fairly senior, there are only two types of people left...really good ones, and really bad ones.

• 5 months later...
Guest ratbmf

I am a bit late to the party. I was the MSG exec at Lakenheath during Foglesong's tenure at USAFE. My fondest memories, besides the mandatory trash collection at 1500 on Friday(Combat Proud) was the Project Cheer event at the base theater. Both Lakenheath and Mildenhall were to have free tickets to watch a movie. Attendance number where to be taken, so that they could be reported to USAFE via a 50-75 page power point presentation of all the Combat Programs. When the slide show for Lakenheath, it was compared to the slideshow from Mildenhall. Mildenhall had a larger number of attendees. Fogelsong, call Gen. Matthews(FW/CC) and ranted about why Lakenheath's attendance was so low. We recieved the call from Gen. Matthews at 0730 to "investigate" the matter as Fogelsong wanted an answer now! The MSG spent practically all day trying to figure out why our attendance was lower then Mildenhall...turns out Mildenhall had a first run film, Lakenheath showed one that had been running for weeks. As a 1Lt I asked the MSG/CC - why does the 4 Star care? He had no answer, and neither do I!

Reminds me of my Joint Forge rotation to Ramstein 2005. The maintainers had to tie the chock ropes in bowties, make the cord to the power cart come off the airplane at a 90 degree angle and put the number three prop blade EXACTLY straight down. The maintainers would get woke up if Doc saw any infractions on his early morning jog down the flight line. We were also forbidden to mix the green and blue Opel vans in the parking lots. If there were different sizes of vans we had to taller tap them when parking. Combat Proud baby! How do people like this get promoted?

Edited by lloyd christmas

Reminds me of my Joint Forge rotation to Ramstein 2005. The maintainers had to tie the chock ropes in bowties, make the cord to the power cart come off the airplane at a 90 degree angle and put the number three prop blade EXCACTLY straight down. The maintainers would get woke up if Doc saw any infractions on his early morning jog down the flight line. We were also forbidden to mix the green and blue Opel vans in the parking lots. If there were different sizes of vans we had to taller tap them when parking. Combat Proud baby! How do people like this get promoted?

No f-ing way... That sounds like my gayest days back in ROTC.

"Why is this not standardized?!" :banghead: