Jump to content
Baseops Forums
Guest e3racing

Promotion and PRF Information

Recommended Posts

Pawnman’s Current wg/CC didn’t GIVE him the shop chief Strats.   I’m sure they both built the best PRF with the record they were given.   Sounds like the wg/CC was honest about the uselessness of the shop chief type Strats.... but again, I don’t think the wg/CC gave them to pawnman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bennynova said:

Pawnman’s Current wg/CC didn’t GIVE him the shop chief Strats.   I’m sure they both built the best PRF with the record they were given.   Sounds like the wg/CC was honest about the uselessness of the shop chief type Strats.... but again, I don’t think the wg/CC gave them to pawnman

yeah I'm tracking that now.  makes more sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bennynova said:

Pawnman’s Current wg/CC didn’t GIVE him the shop chief Strats.   I’m sure they both built the best PRF with the record they were given.   Sounds like the wg/CC was honest about the uselessness of the shop chief type Strats.... but again, I don’t think the wg/CC gave them to pawnman

 Exactly.  The shop chief one was from 2014.  May ish timeframe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, panchbarnes said:

Thanks for posting.  I’d never read that.  Interestingly, according to that guidance the “1/xx shop chief” strat is valid, while the primary strat AFSOC uses appears invalid.  We use a YG (year group) strat method and think it’s the bees knees, but other MAJCOMs apparently have no idea what it is.

The whole system is so dumb.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had two commanders who truly didn’t know that “1/xx officers” was a shit strat. I had one who didn’t know that “2/xx FGOs” as a new O-4 did not go with “MAJCOM next” on the push line. The system is completely and utterly ed.


Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, di1630 said:

Pays to be support I guess. UFB.


Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

It's one of the benefits of the split line competitive category.... Flyers wont be competing with graduated Sq/CC's for O-5 promotions. 

It wont fix everything but it will fix that. 

Chuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, di1630 said:

IMG_7197.JPG

Pays to be support I guess. UFB.


Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Once again, my career field has the lowest promotion rate.  Still stings to know the board thought I was in the bottom third of my year group.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know how to access "As Met" records on Talent Marketplace?  I tried PRDA, but there were no longer folder icons from which to choose.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prda worked 5 days ago for me....

 

i’ve never heard of records being on talent marketplace.  

 

What we we need are more web based services where everything is scattered about the interwebs...

 

maybe talent marketplace  will be the one stop shop eventually?  We can only hope. 

Edited by bennynova
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, di1630 said:

IMG_7197.JPG

Pays to be support I guess. UFB.


Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

After everything I’ve read in this thread about the weight of a DP, I feel bad for that one dude that was an IPZ DP and didn’t promote. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an 11F separating from AD all of this doesn't suprise me - but it's still hard to watch from the sidelines.

75% promotion rate for MSG dudes?  Create some room at the B Course because we could really use these hard charging leaders in a MWS in CENTCOM.

For me, ever since TAMI-21 I stopped listening to anything Big Air Force SAYS and started only paying attention to what Big Air Force DOES.  For all those looking at a bonus or extending their ADSC past their UPT commitment I would fence in appropriately and do so only with very high SA.  Get your ATP and be ready with options as you get close to your commitment.

Best of luck to everyone!

Edited by billy pilgrim
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Homestar said:

Would have loved to see the dumbfounded look in the face of the the guy (or gal) who got promoted BTZ with a P. 

They probably have the same name as the one poor IPZ person with a DP who didn't get promoted.  Luck is a skill.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, billy pilgrim said:

For me, ever since TAMI-21 I stopped listening to anything Big Air Force SAYS and started only paying attention to what Big Air Force DOES.  For all those looking at a bonus or extending their ADSC past their UPT commitment I would fence in appropriately and do so only with very high SA.  Get your ATP and be ready with options as you get close to your commitment.

Best of luck to everyone!

Exactly correct.  Big Blue can talk about their efforts to solve the retention crisis all they want, but those percentages show they don’t really care.  If they did, the pilot numbers would be much higher.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bergman said:

Exactly correct.  Big Blue can talk about their efforts to solve the retention crisis all they want, but those percentages show they don’t really care.  If they did, the pilot numbers would be much higher.

Absolutely.  I sat in on a briefing by HAF/A1 himself and a pilot stood up and told him that he knew two pilots that punched because they were passed over.  HAF/A1 then shot back that promotion is not a retention tool (and, to me at least, implied “maybe those two shouldn’t have sucked).  I was taken aback.  I can understand that promotion is based off “potential to perform at the next rank” but failing to promote absolutely leads to dudes walking and if our highest personnel leadership doesn’t see that then none of this will really change.  For what it’s worth he also stated the promotion boards are supposed to treat in and above the promotion zone records the same but the stats of the last several years seem to show otherwise.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, soupafly06 said:

Absolutely.  I sat in on a briefing by HAF/A1 himself and a pilot stood up and told him that he knew two pilots that punched because they were passed over.  HAF/A1 then shot back that promotion is not a retention tool (and, to me at least, implied “maybe those two shouldn’t have sucked).  I was taken aback.  I can understand that promotion is based off “potential to perform at the next rank” but failing to promote absolutely leads to dudes walking and if our highest personnel leadership doesn’t see that then none of this will really change.  For what it’s worth he also stated the promotion boards are supposed to treat in and above the promotion zone records the same but the stats of the last several years seem to show otherwise.  

What stats? And how do they show otherwise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BashiChuni said:

devils advocate...not every pilot deserves to be promoted.

are some of you arguing for 100% promotion to O-5? kind of seems that way.

Devil's advocate, not every non-flyer deserves to be promoted. With that being said, when the promotion rates for rated dudes are 6.9% less than the non-flyer's it sends a message to the rated force.

The Air Force is in the business of projecting power and blowing shit up through airpower. I can't speak for promotion rates in the Army, but I am certain my few Army Infantry buddies would have the same complaints if the combat arms branches in the Army promoted at lower rates than the non-combat arms branches.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, soupafly06 said:

  I can understand that promotion is based off “potential to perform at the next rank

I truly believe promotion is based off potential to promote to O6 and beyond.  If you seek mentoring with any senior officers, they will never advise/assess if your career choices/progression will take you to O5.  It's always been about whether or not you will make O6.  Combat/ops stink is only part of the O6 potential equation (for non-flyers it means even less).

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, BashiChuni said:

devils advocate...not every pilot deserves to be promoted.

are some of you arguing for 100% promotion to O-5? kind of seems that way.

I would also like a $150K per year bonus tax free that only drives a 1 year ADSC.

I could get a lot of a certain Ford pick up truck for that amount of cash.

Edited by LookieRookie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BashiChuni said:

devils advocate...not every pilot deserves to be promoted.

are some of you arguing for 100% promotion to O-5? kind of seems that way.

Why not?  Why do the proposed flying only tracks stop at O-4 and not O-5?  It would close the airline pay gap a little and more pilots may volunteer for a flying only track if so.  Speaking from my experience as one who has been passed over for O-5, the gold oak leaves start to feel like an albatross or scarlet letter at about the point your year group finishes pinning on.  The fact of the matter is, many O-5s aren’t going on to lead at the Group level or higher (unless they’re HPOs) so why not just let there be automatic promotion to O-5 since those who are going to make senior leadership positions were already selected years before.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe I’m wrong but we basically have a flying only career track that tops out at O-4. Because if all you do is fly and scoff your desk job, in today’s environment you will make O-4, be passed over twice for O-5 and be continued until retirement. You will also be financially behind your peers who got out after 11 years and started flying for the airlines. If you don’t guarantee guys with no negative indicators a promotion to O-5 then it’s basically just relabeling what we already have now. At least an O-5 paycheck and retirement starts to make some of the math make sense...


Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Promotion is a direct message from an organization that they desire a person to CONTINUE. Non-promotion is saying there is no further opportunity to progress.

There are some but how many pilots are the type who are good with just working in the military as a standard job at a time where a standard airline job will pay them more and treat them better.

Promotion is definitely a retention tool.


Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...