Jump to content
Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
b52gator

B-17 crash at Bradley Intl

Recommended Posts

Sadly, seven fatalities so far.  ATC comms were posted on YouTube, an issue with the #4 engine was reported prior to the accident.    

Heartbreaking...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't wait for the lawyers and the pussified public to start screaming "we must outlaw these old, outdated war machines!".  

You know it's coming.  

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Can't wait for the lawyers and the pussified public to start screaming "we must outlaw these old, outdated war machines!".  

You know it's coming.  

Sounds like Senator Blumenthal is already starting down this road...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Can't wait for the lawyers and the pussified public to start screaming "we must outlaw these old, outdated war machines!".  

You know it's coming.  

It's as inevitable as them wanting more control after a shooting.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tank said:

Sounds like Senator Blumenthal is already starting down this road...

 

Makes me want to start punching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This sucks on every level.  

 

If it can can happen to the most experienced B-17 pilot in the country, it can happen to you (or me).  Stay safe out there fellas.

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NTSB Preliminary report is out:  https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/ReportGeneratorFile.ashx?EventID=20191002X11326&AKey=1&RType=HTML&IType=MA&fbclid=IwAR2n3Fk-HkfU6T_b7gWwoQEH68r_ggWP1yAaOme9EJXVyG8jZHQU0V9Glek

Generates conclusions no one wants to admit to thinking.  Ugly.  

 

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, JBueno said:

Which conclusions?

#4 was reported to have mag problems. #3 as well as #4 were feathered. Fuel was not suspect.

The implication being an engine may have been inadvertently shut down, but there is no way to know for sure.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on what I read 3 of the 4 engines had 0 hours since overhaul, which seems weird that they would have passengers on the first flight after an engine overhaul.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Breckey said:

Based on what I read 3 of the 4 engines had 0 hours since overhaul, which seems weird that they would have passengers on the first flight after an engine overhaul.

I read it as they had 0 hours at the time of the annual inspection in January. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Article doesn't say what attitude the plane was in when it touched down. Wondering about a right closed pattern with #4 shut down and possible problems with #3. The article states on #3 "two blades appeared in a position between low pitch and feather", that's where they're supposed to be, the other blade position near feather would mean some sort of material failure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, arg said:

Article doesn't say what attitude the plane was in when it touched down. Wondering about a right closed pattern with #4 shut down and possible problems with #3. The article states on #3 "two blades appeared in a position between low pitch and feather", that's where they're supposed to be, the other blade position near feather would mean some sort of material failure.

More likely "material failure" related to the engine getting thrown around post-crash after it separated from the wing.

If you watch the entire video (and with the understanding of the limited info the NTSB video provides) there are some clues to this, especially that the tips of the blades are not curled, as would be evident if the engine were turning at impact.  Props rotating and producing power at impact are usually curled forward, while props rotating and not producing power at impact are usually curled aft.

 

71855970_387660368593445_6189140679189331968_n.png

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...