Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FUSEPLUG

The new airline thread

58 minutes ago, torqued said:

I really don't know what the implications are. I think it's worth noting that the second biggest valued company in the world has decided to lay out some major plans to enter the transportation and logistics industry.

For someone looking for a career flying job, there could be some opportunities there. Based on jumpseat conversations, it seems contract for ABX/Atlas/Prime isn't great right now, but there is the potential for very rapid growth. Today, FedEx mgmt dismisses Prime as insignificant. Tomorrow, they'll be telling their employees that they must reduce costs under threat of aggressively growing low-cost competitors.

That was a good one. I would have been one of the first to scoff at UBI or the "Freedom Dividend", but Andrew Yang made some great points, and he doesn't seem to be a liberal Democrat. I look forward to hearing him debate in the primaries. I think he's right in if you thought the last 10 years brought some crazy change, the next 10 will be even more interesting.

Can't wait for my monthly $1000 check because I've been replaced by a robot.

Yup.  He never really answered and Joe never pressed him on what good does th $1000 bucks do when you don't have a job to supplement it?  

Does anyone know anyone who flies for Prime Air? Amazon is notorious for paying poor wages and overworking employees. I’m certain this management philosophy will also impact flying for that company. 

1 minute ago, Homestar said:

Does anyone know anyone who flies for Prime Air? Amazon is notorious for paying poor wages and overworking employees. I’m certain this management philosophy will also impact flying for that company. 

For now those planes are crewed by Atlas, ATI, and ABX, so no direct HR issues with Amazon management.  We'll see if Amazon has the appetite to actually run their own airline.

1 hour ago, nunya said:

For now those planes are crewed by Atlas, ATI, and ABX, so no direct HR issues with Amazon management.  We'll see if Amazon has the appetite to actually run their own airline.

Not trying to be snarky, and I'm not dialed in on the specifics of compensation at the ACMIs, but isn't the above a distinction without difference? They're not exactly paying FDX rates, retirement and work rules in the least, so why would Amazon proper running the slave ship be any different? Not defending Amazon's terrible labor practices, just playing devil's advocate.

• Upvote 1

Maybe, maybe not.  I think Amazon signing the checks and negotiating the contracts would be even worse for labor than ABX.

30 minutes ago, nunya said:

Maybe, maybe not.  I think Amazon signing the checks and negotiating the contracts would be even worse for labor than ABX.

Considering their recent pullout from New York when they got taken to task about their anti-labor pre-reqs, I'd wager to guess you're right about and airline pilots labor groups' fate under their rule. 

4 hours ago, torqued said:

Andrew Yang made some great points

Can't wait for my monthly $1000 check because I've been replaced by a robot.

Yang’s plan is dead in the water being funded by a 10% VAT, without removing any other tax burdens.

Think about your monthly discretionary spending and how close to $1000 a 10% cut of that would be.

Even worse he admits that $12,000/year wouldn’t actually fix anyone’s financial woes, but it might make them “feel better”.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hacker said:

Yang’s plan is dead in the water being funded by a 10% VAT, without removing any other tax burdens.

Think about your monthly discretionary spending and how close to $1000 a 10% cut of that would be.

Even worse he admits that $12,000/year wouldn’t actually fix anyone’s financial woes, but it might make them “feel better”.

“Feel better” and get hooked on being paid for doing nothing, beholden to the government. Great. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Hacker said:

Yeah, Joe tried twice to press him on that but didn't follow through.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Hacker said:

Yeah, I think his solution sort of sucks, but I'll give him credit for attempting to address an impending major issue when no one else wants to talk about it. Living in a country 10-20 years from now where tens of millions of people have lost their careers due to automation and have become poor, desperate, and angry because we didn't get in front of it would also suck. 

2 minutes ago, torqued said:

Yeah, I think his solution sort of sucks, but I'll give him credit for attempting to address an impending major issue when no one else wants to talk about it. Living in a country 10-20 years from now where tens of millions of people have lost their careers due to automation and have become poor, desperate, and angry because we didn't get in front of it would also suck. 

Unless the autonomy is developing itself, there will be jobs; the real question is will people be willing to adapt? 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, SurelySerious said:

Unless the autonomy is developing itself, there will be jobs; the real question is will people be willing to adapt? 

Pilots, burger flippers, journalists, boat captains, retailers, taxi drivers, truck drivers:

aQqnV42_700b_v1.jpg

Edited by torqued
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, torqued said:

Pilots, burger flippers, journalists, boat captains, retailers, taxi drivers, truck drivers:

aQqnV42_700b_v1.jpg

You can sink or swim. Your choice. 

3 hours ago, SurelySerious said:

You can sink or swim. Your choice. 

You should run for office with that campaign slogan. 

😆

5 hours ago, SurelySerious said:

That's hilarious.  1 job for every 50 lost at best case.

5 hours ago, torqued said:

Living in a country 10-20 years from now where tens of millions of people have lost their careers due to automation and have become poor, desperate, and angry because we didn't get in front of it would also suck. 

Just like when the internal combustion engine but the entire horse-transportation industry, the entire steam engine industry, and others out of work forever...the world was never able to recover.

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, Hacker said:

Just like when the internal combustion engine but the entire horse-transportation industry, the entire steam engine industry, and others out of work forever...the world was never able to recover.

There were operators at the controls of both of those industries.  

13 hours ago, M2 said:

Speaking of robots, anyone else notice this?

A Navy Ship Sailed to Hawaii and Back With No One on Board

Actually saw another article on the same subject recently. When a lot of these things start getting fielded by different countries (depending on cost) I see the sea based leg of the triad in for a tougher time. Though I hope they don't overly rely on GPS for navigation as that's a whole lot of systems weak link. Persistent dwell will be their strength, just like RPAs are now.

2 hours ago, torqued said:

You should run for office with that campaign slogan. 

😆

Grounded in reality, not political feel goodism. I’ve had two siblings make major career changes as adults so far. Let politicians spew BS. 

1 hour ago, uhhello said:

That's hilarious.  1 job for every 50 lost at best case.

That’s just apocalyptic speculation at best, like a Malthusian catastrophe for the workforce. 

5 hours ago, Hacker said:

Those poor poor horses.

6 hours ago, SurelySerious said:

Grounded in reality, not political feel goodism. I’ve had two siblings make major career changes as adults so far. Let politicians spew BS. 

That’s great and I wish it worked like that, but the realism of “Your job is going away. Deal with it.” likely will not get people elected who set policy and create tomorrow’s reality.

2 minutes ago, torqued said:

That’s great and I wish it worked like that, but the realism of “Your job is going away. Deal with it.” likely will not get people elected who set policy and create tomorrow’s reality.

We have another thread for that.  Not this one.

22 minutes ago, matmacwc said:

We have another thread for that.  Not this one.

Please move the above comments to the other thread.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hacker said:

One of my favorite quotes...

Image result for Henry Ford if I asked people

• Upvote 3