China creates new air defense zone in East China Sea

PasserOGas

The East-West Center.org is a decent source for current/background information on most on-going activities/issues in East/Southeast Asia, Pacific Region and some of the on-going activities/issues in South Asia/Central Asia. Lots of information and worth a look if you can find the time. http://www.eastwestcenter.org/about-ewc/mission-and-organization

This center was established in 1960 by Congress and is located in Honolulu. Some of the products they routinely publish are; Policy Studies, Asia Pacific Issues, Pacific Islands Policy, Asia Pacific Bulletins, East-West Center Working Papers, etc. I am not sure if this agency has an agenda or not, so like any source take the information presented with a little skepticism. Everyone seems to have a somewhat different opinion on what China's intentions are and that's a good thing. Also, its never to early or late to start to try and understand what our current and future adversaries may be up to. This normally requires a little look into the shadows of history to better understand unfolding present day events and may also give you a glimpse into future possibilities.

Conflict Prevention Urgent for the Senkaku Conundrum; Asia Pacific Bulletin, Number 212; Somewhat long; http://www.eastwestcenter.org/sites/default/files/private/apb212.pdf

My day job is flying freight out of Shanghai. It is stunning how much shit moves out of that place on a daily basis. They had to build a new port on an island several miles offshore to handle the ship traffic. China is the world's factory. Their success and continued growth is dependent on that fact. They know that as long as we are a player in Asia, as much as they'd like to, they can't mess too much with Japan, the Philippines, Vietnam, or any of several other countries they have territorial disputes with. That isn't to say they wouldn't if they thought they could get away with it. Which is why even our current administration understands why it's important to re-focus our military and diplomatic efforts on Asia. It's also why the Japanese have been changing their tune on US troop levels there recently. I think as long as we are the strongest kid in the neighborhood, China's economic ambitions will outweigh their military ones.

A blue water navy with one aircraft carrier that may or may not be able to do flight ops does not project power. A large sub force does not guarantee success either , just look at the Kriegsmarine in both world wars.

The Chinese are dealing with a lot of domestic issues at home and needed to draw attention from it. We flew bombers through the ADIZ and they did nothing against it, even though they claim to have tracked them the whole way. To prevent themselves from looking like douchetards, they deploy their one and only carrier group.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The Chinese are dealing with a lot of domestic issues at home and needed to draw attention from it. We flew bombers through the ADIZ and they did nothing against it, even though they claim to have tracked them the whole way. To prevent themselves from looking like douchetards, they deploy their one and only carrier group.

Nailed it.

Apparently the decision to declare an ADIZ did not coincide with any kind of actual force planning. I appears that the Chinese did not expect the US to challenge them so quickly (or at all) by flying through the ADIZ unannounced, and with B-52s to boot... Somewhat embarrassing no doubt. Based on the statements from the Chinese they were aware of the B-52s and were monitoring them during their tour of so called Chinese airspace.

The Chinese don't like to be embarrassed so I suspect the next US flight through the ADIZ will be treated much more aggressively. I suspect however, that they will not be hot-dogging around the US aircraft like they did with the EP-3.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/chinas-move-to-establish-air-defense-zone-appears-to-backfire/2013/11/27/74313faa-5784-11e3-bdbf-097ab2a3dc2b_story.html

Every once in a blue moon these little territorial disputes/dick measuring contests spiral out of control. Just a few
examples; Gulf of Tonkin Incident 1 and 2 = Gulf of Tonkin Resolution = History http://www.vietvet.org/thewall.htm
Also, KAL Flight 007 is another example of a SNAFU by all parties involved. Occasionally stupid stuff happens when tensions are high.

China sends jets into air zone as Japan, South Korea defy it

The Chinese planes had conducted normal air patrols on Thursday as "a defensive measure and in line with international common practices,"

Shen said China's air force would remain on high alert and take measures to protect the security of the country's airspace, Xinhua reported.

China sends jets into air zone as Japan, South Korea defy it

The Chinese planes had conducted normal air patrols on Thursday as "a defensive measure and in line with international common practices,"

Shen said China's air force would remain on high alert and take measures to protect the security of the country's airspace, Xinhua reported.

News Video:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/china-sends-warplanes-disputed-air-103027974.html

Uhh, I'm a tanker guy and even I see about 6.9 errors with this.

2. I propose taking the discussion about this article to sipr baseops because I am genuinely interested in the rebuttals from the CAF guys.

EDIT: Or the discussion can stay here, it just seems like this could turn into a vault-type discussion.

Edited by jango220

That dude makes some good arguments. However, there's only so much an armchair wing commander can foresee with no security clearance and no knowledge of any, much less all three, nations' TTPs and capes.

Best points I see are 1) that we shouldn't assume our technology makes us invincible . . . but I don't think any of our dudes flying OCA/DCA/SEAD think that way. The second is that we need to be keenly aware of the anti-access/area-denial issues our limited basing presents. Of course, the entire DoD had been beating that drum for at least a decade in PACOM before some nerd with a computer game showed up . . .