Tops in Blue (TIB) - WTF?

Steve Davies

Yeah I saw that. Ugh. Wonder what her supervisor thinks of her.

The fact that she's "volunteered for multiple deployments" but never been downrange should answer that question.

I wouldn't send a 12-year old girl to AFG either, the dearth of access to My Little Pony, Claire's & her YouTube channel would be too cruel...

• Upvote 2

How bout you go ###### yourself. iPhones suck ass and can't spell. I on the other hand am an impeccable speller and read a thread before posting.

(Sent from my dumb ass iPhone)

A casual observation of the above shows it's not the iPhone with the limited perspicacity.

I don't have the source right now, but I know I saw in one of the 6-9 memos that were sent out detailing sequestration guidance that all musical groups will be limited to performing locally unless the trip is funded by the user. I would think this would effectively kill the TIB season because there's got to be exactly zero audiences that would pay for these jokers' travel to come perform for them.

Edited by LockheedFix
  • Upvote 1

I don't have the source right now, but I know I saw in one of the 6-9 memos that were sent out detailing sequestration guidance that all musical groups will be limited to performing locally unless the trip is funded by the user. I would think this would effectively kill the TIB season because there's got to be exactly zero audiences that would pay for these jokers' travel to come perform for them.

They're funded mostly by sponsors. Like Coca Cola or some shit.

I had to go do an interview last week with the ADC (Whole 'nuther story) and the paralegal TSgt in there made the mistake of telling me he used to be in Tops in Blue. I said "So, do you think with the Thunderbirds getting cut, they will too?"

*Confused look because he is obviously used to people congratulating him or ooooooh-ing and ahhhhhh-ing over him being in TIB* "Uh no, we have outside sponsors."

*Me, getting angrier* "Do those outside sponsors pay for the jet fuel to haul you people all over the world?"

*More confusion* "We only fly Space A..."

*Me* "Facepalm"

Edited by discus

I had to go do an interview last week with the ADC (Whole 'nuther story) and the paralegal TSgt in there made the mistake of telling me he used to be in Tops in Blue. I said "So, do you think with the Thunderbirds getting cut, they will too?"

*Confused look because he is obviously used to people congratulating him or ooooooh-ing and ahhhhhh-ing over him being in TIB* "Uh no, we have outside sponsors."

*Me, getting angrier* "Do those outside sponsors pay for the jet fuel to haul you people all over the world?"

*Me* "Facepalm"

Suggested response if you are ever in a similar situation

"Man, bet you are happy that being gay is legal now!"

• Upvote 1

They're funded mostly by sponsors. Like Coca Cola or some shit.

http://www.topsinblue.com/page320021.html

Q: Do I get paid per diem when I tour with Tops In Blue?

A: No. Because the Tops In Blue is a Permissive TDY and not a regular TDY, per diem

is not paid. However, the Tops In Blue members do receive a small daily stipend

known as a Personal Maintenance Expense Allowance (PMEA), totaling about $240

a month. All lodging, travel, special clothing and equipment needs are taken care of

by Air Force Entertainment. In addition, many of the performance locations voluntarily

provide meals for the team, thereby defraying some of the costs for food

Which led me to ask, how much is budgeted for TIB?

Air Force Armed Services Entertainment Budget, FY2013 AF O&M Vol 2 - $4,769,000 http://www.saffm.hq.af.mil/budget/

Tops In Blue Personnel Costs - 35 people = $1,400,000 (based upon PCS location, PMEA, BAH, COLA, OHA) http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123289880

Total : $6,169,000 "FABULOUS" dollars

Total number of fcks given : 0

Edited by TheFranchise

http://www.topsinblu...page320021.html

Q: Do I get paid per diem when I tour with Tops In Blue?

A: No. Because the Tops In Blue is a Permissive TDY and not a regular TDY, per diem

is not paid. However, the Tops In Blue members do receive a small daily stipend

known as a Personal Maintenance Expense Allowance (PMEA), totaling about $240

a month. All lodging, travel, special clothing and equipment needs are taken care of

by Air Force Entertainment. In addition, many of the performance locations voluntarily

provide meals for the team, thereby defraying some of the costs for food

Which led me to ask, how much is budgeted for TIB?

Air Force Armed Services Entertainment Budget, FY2013 AF O&M Vol 2 - $4,769,000 http://www.saffm.hq.af.mil/budget/

Tops In Blue Personnel Costs - 35 people = $1,400,000 (based upon PCS location, PMEA, BAH, COLA, OHA) http://www.af.mil/ne...sp?id=123289880

Total : $6,169,000 "FABULOUS" dollars

Total number of fcks given : 0

Don't forget the salary/BAH/BAS/etc that we pay each of these airmen. If the organizations they leave behind while "on tour" can survive without them, one could argue that elimination of TiB could be simultaneously be paired with the insta-RIF of those 69-ish TiB members without ANY impact upon the mission at all.

We're easily talking about $10M+ per year. Can that help at least one CAF squadron stay CMR? How about putting that funding toward a US-only Red Flag?

We are literally mortgaging the future of air superiority in favor of a high-school-grade jazz band/drama club. YGBSM.

• Upvote 5

Don't forget the salary/BAH/BAS/etc that we pay each of these airmen. If the organizations they leave behind while "on tour" can survive without them, one could argue that elimination of TiB could be simultaneously be paired with the insta-RIF of those 69-ish TiB members without ANY impact upon the mission at all.

We're easily talking about $10M+ per year. Can that help at least one CAF squadron stay CMR? How about putting that funding toward a US-only Red Flag?

We are literally mortgaging the future of air superiority in favor of a high-school-grade jazz band/drama club. YGBSM.

tumblr_melif5gGVQ1r7a2bao1_400.gif

• 2 weeks later...

*Me* "Facepalm"

Classic.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally.... The post I've been waiting for since this thread was started 28 pages and almost six years ago.

Although, it is a link from the AF Times fish wrapper, so I fully expect the article to be incorrect or, at best, exaggerated.