College Football

O Face

58 minutes ago, Tank said:

“To be the best, you have to beat the best”

Until somebody knocks off Georgia, I have them winning their 3rd consecutive NC.  Can’t rule out Bama, Ohio State, Michigan or USC though.  

Dark horses:  Florida State, Texas, LSU

Oh I'm picking up what you're putting down!

On 4/18/2023 at 7:45 AM, Tank said:

“To be the best, you have to beat the best”

Until somebody knocks off Georgia, I have them winning their 3rd consecutive NC.  Can’t rule out Bama, Ohio State, Michigan or USC though.  

Dark horses:  Florida State, Texas, LSU

Agree with all. I like your dark horse picks as well. Not saying I expect them to be in the national championship anytime soon, but it’d sure be fun to see Colorado and Nebraska relevant and slugging it out. That was a great rivalry. 

• 3 months later...

Well, that was a quite a day yesterday huh?  I’ll tell you what, they need to give that Big12 commissioner a raise, that savvy son of a bitch lost OU and UT, turns around and grabs UA, ASU, UU, and CU, pulling the plug on the PAC 12, not to mention the other teams already scheduled to join. Not saying it’s the best conference, but I think it’s gonna be the most fun to watch.  

College football conference expansion (more like consolidation) is going to destroy the sport. Other aspects in play are already well on the way anyway; NIL, transfer portal, 4 team playoff, etc...

What made college football great? Regional rivalries, occasional match ups between big powers, upsets, non-professionals playing the game. All of that is being obliterated. How long is it going to take for Oregon or UCLA to wonder why the hell they're making their 6th trip of the year to a different time zone to play Maryland, Rutgers, and Illinois? 

Sure the matchups yearly between USC-Michigan or OU-Alabama will be fun for a couple of years, but the novelty is going to wear off fast. Those matchups were great because they rarely happened, or only happened in a bowl game or championship setting.

The 4 team playoff has already caused a massive consolidation of talent in college football. There's a huge gap between the haves and have nots. Big upsets are already more endangered and will become nearly non-existent as talent further consolidates into only a couple of teams.

As someone who was a D1 college athlete, paying college athletes is absolute BS, even if it is through the NIL system and not direct employment payments. College athletes, especially the football and basketball players, were already paid. Full college education, paid for. All meals and housing, paid for. The fact many of the athletes didn't care about those perks is their own problem. But that's the choice you made when you went to play sports at a SCHOOL. 

And despite how someone might feel morally over the amount of revenue sports like football and bball brought in and student-athletes not seeing anywhere near it, it was the amateurism that made the sport entertaining. Sorry, but 18 year olds getting 1 Million dollar payments from rich donors to sponsor a local car dealer is just not something I'm interested in watching, and I think lots of others will feel the same, especially when you pile on all the other afore mentioned stuff. 

Okay, that was definitely TLDR for most people. But I used to love college football, family had season tickets for a few years, and now frankly I don't give two shits about the sport anymore. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, kaputt said:

College football conference expansion (more like consolidation) is going to destroy the sport. Other aspects in play are already well on the way anyway; NIL, transfer portal, 4 team playoff, etc...

What made college football great? Regional rivalries, occasional match ups between big powers, upsets, non-professionals playing the game. All of that is being obliterated. How long is it going to take for Oregon or UCLA to wonder why the hell they're making their 6th trip of the year to a different time zone to play Maryland, Rutgers, and Illinois? 

Sure the matchups yearly between USC-Michigan or OU-Alabama will be fun for a couple of years, but the novelty is going to wear off fast. Those matchups were great because they rarely happened, or only happened in a bowl game or championship setting.

The 4 team playoff has already caused a massive consolidation of talent in college football. There's a huge gap between the haves and have nots. Big upsets are already more endangered and will become nearly non-existent as talent further consolidates into only a couple of teams.

As someone who was a D1 college athlete, paying college athletes is absolute BS, even if it is through the NIL system and not direct employment payments. College athletes, especially the football and basketball players, were already paid. Full college education, paid for. All meals and housing, paid for. The fact many of the athletes didn't care about those perks is their own problem. But that's the choice you made when you went to play sports at a SCHOOL. 

And despite how someone might feel morally over the amount of revenue sports like football and bball brought in and student-athletes not seeing anywhere near it, it was the amateurism that made the sport entertaining. Sorry, but 18 year olds getting 1 Million dollar payments from rich donors to sponsor a local car dealer is just not something I'm interested in watching, and I think lots of others will feel the same, especially when you pile on all the other afore mentioned stuff. 

Okay, that was definitely TLDR for most people. But I used to love college football, family had season tickets for a few years, and now frankly I don't give two shits about the sport anymore. 

Why does a player getting 'a million bucks' make the game less exciting?  I get that it brings ALOT of problems or issues that weren't there before but it had to happen.  Everyone BUT the players were getting paid.  

13 minutes ago, uhhello said:

Why does a player getting 'a million bucks' make the game less exciting?  I get that it brings ALOT of problems or issues that weren't there before but it had to happen.  Everyone BUT the players were getting paid.  

Its scholastic sports man, it's not pro sports. The introduction of large amounts of money to the players fundamentally changes the motivations and reasons behind playing the game. It used to be a player chose a school for a multitude of reasons. Instead the primary factor now is the NIL deal and whether Tuscaloosa Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge is going to put something on the table that's better than Mercedes of Ann Arbor. That in of itself changes why college football was great, because it wasn't anything like the NFL. Players played for the school, not a contract. 

Its scholastic sports man, it's not pro sports. The introduction of large amounts of money to the players fundamentally changes the motivations and reasons behind playing the game. It used to be a player chose a school for a multitude of reasons. Instead the primary factor now is the NIL deal and whether Tuscaloosa Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge is going to put something on the table that's better than Mercedes of Ann Arbor. That in of itself changes why college football was great, because it wasn't anything like the NFL. Players played for the school, not a contract. 

You have that backwards. Saban owns multiple Mercedes dealerships in the south.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

A guy on YouTube posted a poll of whether or not you'd prefer NCAA FB to be the way it will be in 2027, or 2007. A full 75% of around 15,000 voters chose the latter. 

I don't like where it is going, but the schools have to do what they can if they want to remain relative. I say this as a Florida State graduate and fan whose school is looking to get private equity to buy out their contract with the ACC. 

I think this realignment will simply make the Big 2 a version of what the NFL is. And I don't really care for that. Will I keep watching? Absolutely, but in the last 10 years six teams won a NC, from 2000-2010 it was eight. That might not sound like a big difference, but it is. 

Also, >>>--GO-NOLES-;;->

We've recently made a run in the recruiting race and are now number three if I recall correctly. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kaputt said:

Agreed. Just another example of ruining something great. FCS and the smaller conferences will still be reminiscent of the good ol days, I hope. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kaputt said:

You're naive if you think the good players weren't getting paid already.

10 hours ago, VMFA187 said:

A guy on YouTube posted a poll of whether or not you'd prefer NCAA FB to be the way it will be in 2027, or 2007. A full 75% of around 15,000 voters chose the latter. 

I don't like where it is going, but the schools have to do what they can if they want to remain relative. I say this as a Florida State graduate and fan whose school is looking to get private equity to buy out their contract with the ACC. 

I think this realignment will simply make the Big 2 a version of what the NFL is. And I don't really care for that. Will I keep watching? Absolutely, but in the last 10 years six teams won a NC, from 2000-2010 it was eight. That might not sound like a big difference, but it is. 

Also, >>>--GO-NOLES-;;->

We've recently made a run in the recruiting race and are now number three if I recall correctly. 

Interesting indeed. I’m not surprised by those poll numbers. Now, I know this realignment is entirely about the almighty $ that comes with TV network sponsorships. However, I can’t help but think that the stupid way D1 football crowned its national champion for the past 100 years had something to do with this as well. Had there been a playoff similar to the FCS all these years, then perhaps school presidents, boosters, etc. may have been a bit less antsy to jump into a “super conference” if the season’s champion was decided on the football field instead of by a beauty pageant at the end of the year.  
Im not naive enough to believe this was the only issue facing FBS schools, but next year we get a 12 team playoff and we’ll likely be down to 3 “power” conferences by then, thereby completely cheapening the magnitude of being “conference champion”.   I know there were many wrinkles that needed straightening, but certainly could’ve been.  And had the opportunity been available to all conference champions, the powers that be, might have been more comfortable with the status quo.  

• Like 1

Agree with above. If there had been a real playoff for a few years at least, the need to jump to a bigger super conference wouldn't be necessary. Although money was the #1 factor as you said, the long odds of a "lesser" conference standout actually winning the national championship always seemed like BS to me - you should get to play for the trophy. Being undefeated in the schedule you were handed and then going to the Tire Bowl or whatever is just wrong.

I'm just happy with the PAC 12 now dead that my University of Utah showed out. Members of the conference for only 11 years, 4x championship game trips, 2x Pac 12 championships, back-to-back, reigning champs and last champs before the lights went out.

Good luck in the Big 12! (or 16? we really gotta drop numbers from these conference names...)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, nsplayr said:

Good luck in the Big 12! (or 16? we really gotta drop numbers from these conference names...)

Absolutely and while we’re at it, might as well drop the geographical references too. Not sure Cal will make a ton of sense in the Atlantic Coast Conference. 

• Upvote 1

I always hear that about top level players but it wasn’t nearly as widespread as people think. Some definitely got some shady money under the table, but the vast majority of players didn’t get anything beyond scholarship and stipend. 

Now with NIL, there are high school kids signing multi-million dollar deals just to sign at certain schools. It’s truly nuts. That coupled with the transfer rules changing completely changes the landscape. The dirty secret about the transfer portal is something like 50% of kids that enter it don’t find a home on the other side and their career is over. Wild stuff.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Danger41 said:

Who is buying/selling Colorado and Deion Sanders after the TCU game?

Clearly ESPN is buying. It’s all we heard about. Well, that and the fact that the PAC 12 didn’t lose a game week one. Failing to mention TCU was the only ranked team played by the PAC 12. 

On 9/3/2023 at 7:56 PM, O Face said:

Looked damn tough tonight!

It took us a half to iron out the kinks, but once we did we looked strong. After Clemson getting destroyed by Duke last night, we'll be favored in every game from here on out. I don't like that we've got a target on our back from every team we'll play, but I'll take this over any season since 2014.