The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

23 hours ago, SocialD said:

Could have been him mins Captain.  A buddy had to be rerouted out of a leg yesterday because he's a brand new Captain in his plane and the wx was below his mins as a newb on the fleet.  

That's really surprising to me that a Captain would still have minima outside of the plate. Is it just a time in type thing? Is that FAA or company?

1 hour ago, Danger41 said:

That's really surprising to me that a Captain would still have minima outside of the plate. Is it just a time in type thing? Is that FAA or company?

Been a thing at the 3 x 121 programs I’ve worked in; seems 121 standard.

Usually the first 75-100 hours.

Edited by BFM this

1 hour ago, Danger41 said:

Ya all 3 airlines I've flown for has this as well.   If the captain doesn't have 100 pic in type, you can't shoot cat 2 or 3 and you have additives to cat 1 approaches.  There are some exceptions if you have time in the right seat in that type.  There are also restrictions on pairing two new pilots.  

SWA CA’s with less than 100 hours PIC are only restricted from flying “AIII mode” required HUD approaches. Essentially CAT III’s (and certain SA CAT II’s). Run-of-the-mill CAT II approaches are fair game. All FO’s leave the schoolhouse qualified to PM all approaches. 

Doesn’t look like this would have been a factor on Rwy 4 at LGA. 

It's more than likely an FAA restriction. I say that because new United FOs can't land at certain "special" airfields until they have 75 hours. SFO is one of those (I don't know why). 

After 30 months of flying the Guppy as an SFO-based FO, I moved to the 757. And guess what?  I could not land at my home domicile until I had 75 hours in the 757. 
I wrote a PDR report to the company saying how ridiculous that was.  
I actually got a reply from someone way up the food chain in Flt Ops who said he totally agreed... but the FAA were the ones that imposed the rule and would not rescind it. 

Edited by HuggyU2

40 minutes ago, HuggyU2 said:

It's more than likely an FAA restriction. I say that because new United FOs can't land at certain "special" airfields until they have 75 hours. SFO is one of those (I don't know why). 

After 30 months of flying the Guppy as an SFO-based FO, I moved to the 757. And guess what?  I could not land at my home domicile until I had 75 hours in the 757. 
I wrote a PDR report to the company saying how ridiculous that was.  
I actually got a reply from someone way up the food chain in Flt Ops who said he totally agreed... but the FAA were the ones that imposed the rule and would not rescind it. 

You've either been extraordinarily lucky, where you weren't paying much attention to the people you were flying with.

The 75-hour rule is not for everyone. It's for the weakest links in the chain. That's pretty much the case for all of those types of restrictions. I've only been in the airlines for 6 years and I've already seen people who could have probably used another 75, but definitely were not ready right out of the chute.

At our outfit it reads more like this:

A High Minimums Captain has less than 100 hours PIC in aircraft type. The 100 hours PIC is not Company specific, but the 100 hours in type cannot include OE/ILC time. PIC time personally logged under 61.51 as a type-rated FO acting as PIC on augmented segments shall not be credited toward this 100 hour requirement. (Only because us FOs are type rated as Capts) We also sign in when Boss is sleeping - to get into more trouble/emphasize Capt isn’t sole owner of responsibility. I always knew this, but it does help to put more reality to those who are lackadaisical up front…

You can also reduce the 100hr requirement for every landing by one hour not to exceed 50. A few weather related approach requirements such as adding 100ft to the MDA or DA to include 1/2 mile vis (2400ft). That’s why I when I fly with a high mins Capt they are doing every takeoff and landing… 

*It helps us not to pair a newbie or those on “watch” with high mins Capts which makes sense as first timers having had no PIC time at all…

Edited by AirGuardianC141747
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, AirGuardianC141747 said:

We also sign in when Boss is sleeping

I always found that amusing.  More amusing were the FO's who were intent about seniority and authority they had as the acting CA.  Rare, but I did see it happen.  Outright silly.

Edited by FourFans

23 minutes ago, FourFans said:

I always found that amusing.  More amusing were the FO's who were intent about seniority and authority they had as the acting CA.  Rare, but I did see it happen.  Outright silly.

Now that funny and not something I'd ever thought about.  When I was doing augmented ops, noone cared or thought about who was in the left seat when the Captain was on break. Then again, we also don't bid for the "bunkie" position.  The Captain, or more likely a conversation between all us, decides who gets what landings then we figure out the breaks with the landing pilot getting their choice.  Who gets the landings was mostly dependent on keeping people current, or not current if they wanted to go to the sim for bounces.  I've heard in other shops, people can be quite militant about who gets the landings.  

Now that funny and not something I'd ever thought about.  When I was doing augmented ops, noone cared or thought about who was in the left seat when the Captain was on break. Then again, we also don't bid for the "bunkie" position.  The Captain, or more likely a conversation between all us, decides who gets what landings then we figure out the breaks with the landing pilot getting their choice.  Who gets the landings was mostly dependent on keeping people current, or not current if they wanted to go to the sim for bounces.  I've heard in other shops, people can be quite militant about who gets the landings.  

Yep, this is how we do it as well. Very rarely does the CA stress or verify that the senior FO signs the paper. Usually a good sign of the toolbag FO, is the one who is stressing they are senior and insist of left seat/bunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

12 minutes ago, herkbum said:

Yep, this is how we do it as well. Very rarely does the CA stress or verify that the senior FO signs the paper. Usually a good sign of the toolbag FO, is the one who is stressing they are senior and insist of left seat/bunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

At my new company it's delineated who's operating and who the relief pilots are, which is kinda nice.  If a relief guy needs the landing, we just audible at the plane, never had an issue with that.  My prior outfit was slight less...organized.

7 hours ago, SocialD said:

Definitely the same as us, unless it’s OE of course and I lose opportunities as it should be priority wise. Currency gets tight though when you keep getting paired up with the OE  couples… back to back to back… Staying senior FO brings some very nice trip pairings, but the senior OE Capts can hold these as well, hence the  high amount of First Officer Attendant duties. Unless the aircraft requires an autoland I enjoy being up front and it’s easy for the most part as many newer folks just don’t want to fly for some reason or another. It’s been a few years since I have ever used seniority to my advantage for good reason. Most of our Capts are great, but when I have heard bad rumors of an upcoming flight with one I will push to the third seat or fourth to verify. Being senior to more than half of our Capts has benefits and brings questions, but after seeing my schedule, other benefits, etc. they get it.

Doubtful if any mail for anyone was on board, but the passengers on a United 777 who left Frankfurt for San Francisco yesterday had to turn around for an interesting issue over the North Atlantic.

United Airlines flight diverted after toilet overflows into cabin…

10 hours ago, AirGuardianC141747 said:

Doubtful if any mail for anyone was on board, but the passengers on a United 777 who left Frankfurt for San Francisco yesterday had to turn around for an interesting issue over the North Atlantic.

United Airlines flight diverted after toilet overflows into cabin…

cleveland-clevelandshow.gif.5b9785eadad64f7ca55271ed32ce2fac.gif

Since we're talking about it, we had a passenger drop a deuce on an LAX to SAN flight.  We didn't get above 10,000 and the flight was about 15 minutes long.  He blew that lav up as well.   Long live Compass!!! 

• Haha 1

Hot off the press: UPS will be hiring again.  For those looking, get those apps updated for the ponderously impossible to understand process that is UPS hiring.

Hopefully Boeing stacks its house of cards quickly during/after these investigations are done so SWA and United (UA decreased hiring/ton of Max 10 orders unfulfilled and substantially less 9s and 8s delivered monthly) Delta slowed up a bit supposedly. Wonder if SWA has a batch of retirements coming while awaiting Max 10 certification…?

*SWA being triple in size to UPS (which is hiring something like 300 for their USPS contract and probably some retirements) has perhaps 400 maybe 500 retiring 2024-25 so things could change for the good. **Hopeful for those interested and spitballing of course.

• Like 1

Side note: While UPS starts clamoring for bodies to fill said 300 or so - This puts FedEx in a higher pilot overage losing that contract. I will not speculate on here, but for any Purple Pilot with actual information what’s next? Will it be just a prolonged attrition thru retirements or any goodness on upcoming contracts (via Tricolor effort perhaps) to fill this void and bring back higher flying hours. Hopefully the later.

Here we go...

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/04/08/spirit-airlines-will-defer-airbus-orders-furlough-260-pilots.html?__source=iosappshare|com.apple.UIKit.activity.Message

Isn't it great that the judge prevented Jet Blue's purchase of Spirit, and allowed Spirit to continue their ultra low fare model?

• Upvote 2

Here we go...
https://www.cnbc.com/2024/04/08/spirit-airlines-will-defer-airbus-orders-furlough-260-pilots.html?__source=iosappshare|com.apple.UIKit.activity.Message

Isn't it great that the judge prevented Jet Blue's purchase of Spirit, and allowed Spirit to continue their ultra low fare model?

We can’t have two airlines combining and “reducing competition” and “raising prices.” Instead we’ll have the government artificially reduce all commercial flights into the northeast for the summer and then block a useful merger that puts one out of business.
  • Upvote 1