The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

13 hours ago, arg said:

image.thumb.png.50d924688ffb1f33066058de0bc2a109.png

FAs should just issue a tool kit to everyone and asked them to fix the plane while in flight.  Inflight entertainment will by youtube vids showing you how to do something, but with key parts missing in the video so you have no idea how they got the cover off.  Anyone with spare parts leftover has to hand them off to the next pax taking that seat.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, nsplayr said:

Interesting.

I wonder if DOJ would have looked at a Spirit - Frontier merger through a different lens.  
Despite the rent-seeking machinations from government lawyers, my worthless prediction is that a settlement is reached before the appeal is heard.

3 hours ago, Lord Ratner said:

The government will only allow airlines to merge in bankruptcy. You have the dumbest executives in business running the airlines and the dumbest people in the West running the governments. Don't expect anything to make sense.

The most airline profit/$ is in the mileage programs. Colors of 'money' and a means to seperate operations risk from $....points/SkyMiles/Avios/whatever. Pretty clever litigation and profit management risk-serverance if you ask me.

Pts = $ with mostly data management risk, not operations. They sit on your points (aka $) for you, collecting interest as well as deflate their value.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Swizzle said:

Pts = $ with mostly data management risk, not operations. They sit on your points (aka $) for you, collecting interest as well as deflate their value.  

Not necessarily deflate their value, but set the value to whatever they want.  A Points program is a company made currency.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lord Ratner said:

The government will only allow airlines to merge in bankruptcy. You have the dumbest executives in business running the airlines and the dumbest people in the West running the governments. Don't expect anything to make sense.

So Hawaiian and Alaskan won’t get to merge?  Honest question as I’m pretty ignorant on the subject.

13 hours ago, HeloDude said:

So Hawaiian and Alaskan won’t get to merge?  Honest question as I’m pretty ignorant on the subject.

I haven't been following it closely, but this administration is against mergers. As far as I've seen, strong economies induce liberals leadership, and modern liberalism distrusts business. So without huge concessions, I'd be surprised. It's not just airlines, the Adobe/Figma merger was blocked for no logical reason. So we'll just have to see

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2022 at 5:47 PM, Danger41 said:

With the economy and all associated things with the economy in the toilet, any rumblings or furloughs or anything? Or is the retirement wave going to help stem that?

On 6/14/2022 at 3:18 PM, brabus said:

Good God those are some massive rose-colored glasses you have on. Maybe take a time out and open the aperture a little beyond how full flights currently are. I'd start with the energy sector, the stock market, highest inflation in 40 years, a ludicrous housing/rental market, etc. None of those paint a "good economy," and certainly not a good one in the near future as a likely large recession is looming.  Hope you're not out buying all your toys on credit right now.

On 6/15/2022 at 10:26 AM, ViperMan said:

That is some level 9 satire, bro.

If it's not, well, let's just say everyone is less well off than before all this inflation hit (https://www.axios.com/2022/06/15/what-workers-really-want-raises-that-beat-inflation). People are spending more money because prices are higher and they have to. Wages are not keeping pace with price inflation (https://news.wttw.com/2022/06/08/inflation-overpowers-city-minimum-wage-hike).

Also, logic that says "because we're full, it's all good" ignores all the scheduling optimization that goes into creating an airline schedule. Remember, all seven major US airlines have reduced their flying this summer. The reason is immaterial. Delta could fly one line per day, and every single seat would be filled. That has nothing to do with the prevailing economic undercurrent.

🤣 I'd almost forgotten about the recession that was always just around the corner.

Legitimate congrats on the contracts and the profit sharing, gents!

• Upvote 1

A ton of restructuring going on and efficiency measures being implemented within the cargo industry. Granted, some were self inflicted with the cash cow expansion, but there is much going on with optimization of the box hauler outfits. Actual cuts, keystroke cuts and boneyard routes are increasing this year. Some replacements for sure, but nothing pertaining to extreme growth at this time.

Edited by AirGuardianC141747

To be specific: The FedEx restructuring labeled as Drive and Network 2.0. More concerning would be the latest initiative “Tricolor” to create focus on three specific areas of operations to further utilize or maximize operations. Any thoughts from those at Purple on how this may affect QoL overall? May have little impact on higher seniority, but the low hanging fruit may feel some pain - or not. Just gathering info for my fellow flyers who were leaning towards Purple path or perhaps Purple, Orange and White Path now.

On 1/26/2024 at 11:52 AM, Waingro said:

🤣 I'd almost forgotten about the recession that was always just around the corner.

Legitimate congrats on the contracts and the profit sharing, gents!

Yes. The rich get richer. Congrats to you and me.

Go buy a house.
Go look at the labor participation rate.
Go look at a plot of the SP500 index without the "Magnificent 7" or the "AI 5" incorporated...it's illuminating.
Tech is laying all kinds of people off. So are news rooms. So are banks.

Edited by ViperMan
  • Upvote 1

Add UPS managers, etc. to the equation. How to save a Billion $ or so… May only be in the 2-3% range of the company, but 12,000 nevertheless seems like quite a bit. Several companies encouraging or offering early retirement and that normally leads to cuts shortly thereafter if numbers aren’t met. Stay frosty out there.

8 hours ago, AirGuardianC141747 said:

Add UPS managers, etc. to the equation. How to save a Billion $ or so… May only be in the 2-3% range of the company, but 12,000 nevertheless seems like quite a bit. Several companies encouraging or offering early retirement and that normally leads to cuts shortly thereafter if numbers aren’t met. Stay frosty out there.

UPS has WAY too many managers to begin with.

You must be right, hence the 12,000 mentioned were hyper focused on managers in their statement. I wouldn’t feel too safe as a manager at large corporations right now. Heck, I “manage” to show up effortlessly to work and hope HR doesn’t hyper focus on me. HR, now there’s a group that needs some downsizing. Dang handbook is a lot thicker now.

10 hours ago, AirGuardianC141747 said:

You must be right, hence the 12,000 mentioned were hyper focused on managers in their statement. I wouldn’t feel too safe as a manager at large corporations right now. Heck, I “manage” to show up effortlessly to work and hope HR doesn’t hyper focus on me. HR, now there’s a group that needs some downsizing. Dang handbook is a lot thicker now.

But don't worry, the DEI departments are safe.

On 2/3/2024 at 4:37 PM, xaarman said:

How’s life at SWA post contract ratification? 

Magically, signing ours made a lot of the gripes go away. 

Same at SWA.  All of the "noise" suddenly became quiet.  It's a good pay bump (especially for the FO's).  Retro bonus pays out on 20 Feb.