Physical Fitness related to G-Tolerance

FishBowl

9 hours ago, FishBowl said:

I'm an older, 10-year enlisted guy that got lucky and got a UPT slot, so I want to crush it 100% and not take this opportunity for granted.

[thread drift]

Holy shit; congratulations!

[/drift]

Said no self-respecting fighter pilot ever...

You're right. It's better to f#ck your back and neck up and be miserable for the rest of your life and bitch about it all the f#cking time.

Everyone is going to think you're so cool when you tell the story about how you didn't get killed by your friend with the fake bullets.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Trying to move your nugget around under G is where guys get hurt. Don't do it. If you lose sight, big deal, you're going to get gunned but thats better than screwing your neck or back up.

That's assuming of course, the bullets don't go through your neck or back.  Also, that the ejection doesn't hurt either.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

If you lose sight, big deal, you're going to get gunned but thats better than screwing your neck or back up.

What in the fucking fuck? If you run two jets together your neck and back won't matter. Coming from the guy whose callsign involves being blind and no joy at the same time.

• Upvote 1

That's assuming of course, the bullets don't go through your neck or back.  Also, that the ejection doesn't hurt either.

You're right. I'm referring to day to day training. Most guys I know didn't get hurt going to the merge in combat.

What in the ing ? If you run two jets together your neck and back won't matter. Coming from the guy whose callsign involves being blind and no joy at the same time.

There's obviously more to the story here. Not saying shit can't happen but jets shouldn't almost hit eachother because one person was blind and no joy.

OP, let me rephrase my advice. If you'd rather risk messing your neck up because you don't want to hurt your pride and you're worried about the mean things the guys might say that'll hurt your ego and feelings, go for it. If you think your life is on the line because jets are about to hit eachother or the other guy has live weapons, obviously you're going to do what you have to do.

• Downvote 1

If you are looking over your shoulder at 9G's in today's A/A environment, things have already gone horribly wrong.

Some things are worth training full-up 169% for.....risking real life injury to hone your skills doing something will not realistically happen in the future is not worth it.

I know a few dudes who had to stop flying altogether for neck issues.

Being smart and doesn't make you a .

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

• Upvote 1

I never flew in the 7+G environment.  But with 4000 hours in the T-38, and another 2500 hours in the U-2, I have plenty of time with a helmet on my head.  In the T-38, that often meant turning to keep the solo student on my wing in sight.  Again... not the 7G environment you guys talk about.  

But doing what I did with a helmet on for 28 years has taken a toll.  I'm sure that if you're in the 7-9G environment, you can probably do a lot more damage in a lot less time.  

My neck issues are significant.  If I knew then what I know now, I would have done some things in the cockpit smarter and differently.  

Bottom line:  do what you believe is necessary to be effective in the cockpit and in your mission.  And be aware that the short term benefits may have a long term cost.  If you feel those costs are worth it, press on.  And remember that winning the battle doesn't mean you've won the war. 

Edited by HuggyU2

What Matmacwc said is correct. Tolerating G's is more about having good AGSM technique than anything else. Second most important is having an ATAGS (the new g-suit). Third is being physically fit. 

Being tall, short, fat, or skinny does not affect your G-tolerance enough to concern you. Also, the only times you pull 8-9 Gs are during BFM & ACM. And even then, it's only for 6-9 seconds at a time (unless you're messing it up). 

Bottomline: Stay generally physically fit. Don't skip leg day, but don't stop upperbody workouts as well. And for your own health, you should be running 1-2 times a week.

http://distractify-media-prod.cdn.bingo/1558806-980x.jpg

Edited by Seriously
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

You're right. It's better to f#ck your back and neck up and be miserable for the rest of your life and bitch about it all the f#cking time.

Everyone is going to think you're so cool when you tell the story about how you didn't get killed by your friend with the fake bullets.

It's a good thing you guys are just fucking around out there, not training for actual combat.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Seriously said:

Bottomline: Stay generally physically fit. Don't skip leg day, but don't stop upperbody workouts as well. And for your own health, you should be running 1-2 times a week.

Do you run based on distance, intensity, or time? Matmac said to mix in sprints with my runs, so I have started to do that. I usually try to keep it under 2 miles because of what has already been mentioned -- long distance running = bad G tolerance.

6 hours ago, Seriously said:

Also, the only times you pull 8-9 Gs are during BFM & ACM. And even then, it's only for 6-9 seconds at a time (unless you're fucking it up). 

Unless you're flying an f-16 and not a pussy.  You can accelerate at 8-9Gs in a cleanish block 50. 

Don't be a pussy. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Ram said:

I dunno man, the F-16 HABFM 9G vertical down is as full-up 9G as it gets, and it takes no prisoners. AGSM and neck strength are pretty important.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Love me some vertical 9G HABFM and trying to get the FLO with a HMCS cued 9X. Nothing says you are max performing quite like a stinger at 70 degrees nose low. 

1) If you are ever doing something in an airplane (in training) that is no shit hurting you, I mean causing you physical harm, i.e. not just uncomfortable like a 9k rate fight against your weapons officer...then call "KIO on the radio" and get it figured out. You should not be intentionally or unintentionally physically hurting yourself permanently in the jet. There is no room for being unsafe.

This is obviously what I was referring to.

3) There is zero room in this business for losing sight because its uncomfortable or accepting the fact that you are going to get gunned because you lost sight and don't want to turn around and look for the other guy because its uncomfortable.

This is obviously not what I was implying. The point was, if you lose sight, like we've all done, the fight usually ends pretty quick. I wasn't saying give up, I was saying don't move your nugget under G and hurt yourself over a part task trainer when we can set this whole thing up in another 2 minutes and learn how to not lose sight.

4) The first time I flew with a JHMCS in a HABFM fight I didn't brace my nugget against the headrest, and I damn near put my face through the seat pan. It hurt...a lot, and I lost that fight in about 60 seconds, but I learned never to do that again and to have a plan for where to put my skull and neck before I pulled back too much on the stick.

We've all had those moments and luckily, at least for me, the pain only lasted a few days and isn't permanent. The problem is, with how fast the G onset is, an inexperienced guy is going to hurt himself before he even knows what's happening. You're right, good IPs will give solid advice on how not to do this.

On 10/29/2016 at 5:36 PM, Kenny Powers said:

I've lifted my entire life also and after my first exposure to BFM in IFF, I transitioned to a crossfit style workout. I don't follow their programming or do anything I think is stupid but I do spend time working on mobility, heavy barbell movements (think sets of 3-5 reps squats, deads, O-lifts), and conditioning. I think, if you're going to be a fighter pilot, you really need to focus on those 3 things equally to stay healthy in the jet.

Good to hear. I used to mess with Crossfit a few years ago, but transitioned to Olympic lifting with a few competitions under my belt.

On 10/29/2016 at 8:21 PM, JarheadBoom said:

[thread drift]

Holy shit; congratulations!

[/drift]

Thanks! I'm stoked and grateful.

39 minutes ago, BeerMan said:

This thread is approaching full retard. To FishBowl, matmacwc summed up everything in the first reply of this thread. Read pubs, drink water, get sleep, and don't booze or smoke before flying. That is 99.9% of the AGSM right there.

Thanks, BeerMan. This derail makes for a good break from pubs. 

• Upvote 1