Herk hard landing - Afghanistan

On my instrument checkride, the examiner had me fly the ILS to a 0/0 landing (with foggles) to prove to myself that in an absolute emergency it could be done. Wasn't pretty, but it worked. The dude was crazy; we did a wing-over in a 172 for the unusual attitude. He was also the only remaining DC-3 examiner in the country, and his solution for icing was to fly into a hail storm to knock it off.

Jeebus! And I thought the old bastard who gave me my ATP check was insane.

• Upvote 2

I had an FE tell me once that he could recover the airplane if both pilots were dead/disabled...his solution? Couple the autopilot to the ILS and the airplane will land itself. I called BS and his response was "I know it'll work because I tried it in the sim".

Interesting, there's an old wives tale about a bubba going to GRACC and one of the boss's during a fuel efficiency discussion mentioned that he had landed a C-17 with <5k in the sim... I guess it's possible, but you're out of your f'in mind to try it...

On my instrument checkride, the examiner had me fly the ILS to a 0/0 landing (with foggles) to prove to myself that in an absolute emergency it could be done. Wasn't pretty, but it worked. The dude was crazy; we did a wing-over in a 172 for the unusual attitude. He was also the only remaining DC-3 examiner in the country, and his solution for icing was to fly into a hail storm to knock it off.

I don't know anything about the Herk, but I think in most planes (with the right rate of decent), you could couple the AP with the ILS and walk away alive.

Damn. And I thought my instructor was crazy when he made me take off with the foggles. A few flights later he was able to demo what it is like to lose an exhaust valve during unusual attitude recovery and have to land in a cow pasture. I did take off the foggles for that one though.

• Upvote 2

Did you sleep at a Holiday Inn last night?

No, on Mondays BQZip's mom stays at my place.

The man was Bob McSwiggan; he's apparently in the Georgia Aviation Hall of Fame now. Anyway, that was just the first 15 minutes of the flight. The final approach he gave me a plate from the late 80's, that had long since expired, and I gave him a bit of a chuckle and said "wow, that's an interesting approach" and handed it back to him. I had prepped all of the approaches in the area, so I figured it was just show and tell. Nope. It was a VOR/DME approach at like 20nm from the KATL VOR into Tara Field (circle to land). I flew about two miles off course before I realized it was reverse sensing, and Ole Bob, who had been eating peanuts the entire flight and dropping the shells onto the floor said "yeah I figured you were lost, I's just gonna wait until you learned how to fly or we ran out of fuel." Needless to say, it was one of the most interesting flights of my life.

• Upvote 1

It was a VOR/DME approach at like 20nm from the KATL VOR into Tara Field (circle to land).

Funny to read that, I am sitting about 1 mile from Tara right now.

Funny to read that, I am sitting about 1 mile from Tara right now.

F'n A man, small world. It's a fun airport to be around on race weekends.

Apologies for the thread derail, back to the C-130 carrier landing discussion.

• Upvote 1

Mine was definitely a grumpy old fvck with a soap box, that's for sure!

No, on Mondays BQZip's mom stays at my place.

The man was Bob McSwiggan; he's apparently in the Georgia Aviation Hall of Fame now. Anyway, that was just the first 15 minutes of the flight. The final approach he gave me a plate from the late 80's, that had long since expired, and I gave him a bit of a chuckle and said "wow, that's an interesting approach" and handed it back to him. I had prepped all of the approaches in the area, so I figured it was just show and tell. Nope. It was a VOR/DME approach at like 20nm from the KATL VOR into Tara Field (circle to land). I flew about two miles off course before I realized it was reverse sensing, and Ole Bob, who had been eating peanuts the entire flight and dropping the shells onto the floor said "yeah I figured you were lost, I's just gonna wait until you learned how to fly or we ran out of fuel." Needless to say, it was one of the most interesting flights of my life.

So did you pass?

I did. He told me if I would have flown 4 miles before realizing the remote sensing, I would have failed. Fortunately, I recognized it at 2. I was a cocky 18-year-old kid, but I came away from the flight with a new rating, a sweat-soaked shirt, a plane full of peanuts, and a tremendous appreciation/respect for the old man and other aviation pioneers. One thing he said has proven to be particularly true, "a license/rating doesn't mean you have completed your training, it means the FAA thinks you are competent enough to not kill yourself and others. Now is when you actually start learning to fly."

I don't know anything about the Herk, but I think in most planes (with the right rate of decent), you could couple the AP with the ILS and walk away alive.

130's aren't my airframe either, but there was a burnt up E-3 sitting on the ramp at Nellis for about 2 years that testifies to the need to flare... at least in a 707 type.

That's IF you get the flight director to couple in the first place.

Same in the Wacker, don't ever recall doing a coupled approach in the jet, or even seen one done...

Rumor has it at a certain base in the AOR, this mishap was discussed at the daily staff meeting for about 5 minutes. Then the state of the mustaches in the ops group was discussed for an hour. Heard from several sources. The 6 pages from When Thunder Rolled describing the implicit importance of a bullet-proof mustache was posted in the shitter shortly after the "get 'em in regs, boys" email was sent.

edit: write, read, then post.

Edited by Slander

Rumor has it at a certain base in the AOR, this mishap was discussed at the daily staff meeting for about 5 minutes. Then the state of the mustaches in the ops group was discussed for an hour. Heard from several sources. The 6 pages from When Thunder Rolled describing the implicit importance of a bullet-proof mustache was posted in the shitter shortly after the "get 'em in regs, boys" email was sent.

edit: write, read, then post.

Recently saw a sign posted with picture of goldfein with mustache in front of a viper and the text "CFACC Approved".

not that there's anything wrong with that...

Says the -17 guy.

130's aren't my airframe either, but there was a burnt up E-3 sitting on the ramp at Nellis for about 2 years that testifies to the need to flare... at least in a 707 type.

The E-3 was still there last summer when I was at Nellis.

Says the -17 guy.

Warning: derail inbound...

do you hate gay people because the bible told you so? who gives a shit what one guy does in his bedroom? join us in the 21st century...we have 3-D TV and shit.

Edited by day man

do you hate gay people because the bible told you so? who gives a shit what one guy does in his bedroom? join us in the 21st century...we have 3-D TV and shit.

Yeah, people said the same thing about blacks before integration.

5 minute discussion is good. Let the SIB do their job.

Are you implying that an internet discussion is hampering the investigation?

Fuck 3-D.

Seriously? Why won't it die again like it did in the early 90s?

• Upvote 2

Are you implying that an internet discussion is hampering the investigation?

No, I'm implying that leadership knows better than to speculate on these things, so 5 min or less discussion at the staff mtg seems good to me, if they'd spent an hr talking about the mishap and 5 minutes about mustaches, then I'd take issue with that. I hope the discussion was about how the crew is doing, the status of the ISB, etc.

Guest USAFFlyBoy

These hard landings seem to happen all too often in the C-17 and C-130 communities. I believe it shows how the airlift communities as a whole are completely disconnected from the rest of AF aviation. When was the last time you heard about this in the fighter or tanker communities?