Herk hard landing - Afghanistan

*sigh* Can't wait to see what caused this.

Why wait? I'll put my money on a higher than normal rate of descent upon landing. Boom, safety report done...lets go to the bar.

Edit: Even says it in the article, which we know anything put on the Internet has to be true.

Edited by SocialD

There has been at least one per rote since early 2012 (maybe before, but I can't remember a specific instance).

In every situation that I know of, it was a shitty approach that the PF tried to salvage and could have been avoided by calling "go around."

We are doing it to ourselves.

• Upvote 1

There has been at least one per rote since early 2012 (maybe before, but I can't remember a specific instance).

In every situation that I know of, it was a shitty approach that the PF tried to salvage and could have been avoided by calling "go around."

We are doing it to ourselves.

Wait, I thought we couldn't go around because of the "threat"? You know, the threat from Al-Qaeda. I think in the past 10 years Al-Qaeda in Iraq and Afghanistan has done bout 4 million dollars worth of damage to USAF aircraft, "we" on the other hand have done close to 800 million. Know your threats!

• Upvote 4

Wait, I thought we couldn't go around because of the "threat"? You know, the threat from Al-Qaeda. I think in the past 10 years Al-Qaeda in Iraq and Afghanistan has done bout 4 million dollars worth of damage to USAF aircraft, "we" on the other hand have done close to 800 million. Know your threats!

Exactly. Some dudes in the MAF are so busy trying to be Tommy Tactical that they wind up doing the enemy's job for them.

• Upvote 3

What's that saying, something about "I have met the enemy and he is us"

"we" on the other hand have done close to 800 million. Know your threats!

My first trip to Afghanistan our commander asked us to come up with a list of our risks and prioritize them in order. We ended up with environment as the number one "threat." It was a good exercise in combat ORM.

• Upvote 2

Exactly. Some dudes in the MAF are so busy trying to be Tommy Tactical that they wind up doing the enemy's job for them.

^^^ THIS ^^^ Drove/drives me crazy to see guys getting all wrapped up flying some crazy tactical approach... and then Evergreen and a Tanker land right behind them on the ILS... and neither of those 2 were unstable or forgot to put their gear down!

• Upvote 1

You can't bitch slap earth and not expect earth to hit back with a swift and furious vengeance! You gotta be nice to earth, kiss her gently. Ask permission, touch her in the right spot with the correct amount of pressure, with the correct configuration, and both you and earth will be very happy.

Any trolls out there can start the debate on PME/AAD/Etc. I'm going with the "you need hands in this business" arguement. Oh, and judgement. And maybe an Eng.

Out

I had an FE tell me once that he could recover the airplane if both pilots were dead/disabled...his solution? Couple the autopilot to the ILS and the airplane will land itself. I called BS and his response was "I know it'll work because I tried it in the sim".

Are flight engineers going to flare the aircraft now? I thought their job was to make sure the gear was down and they are at the right runway.

Easy.......just being funny bro.

You gotta be nice to earth, kiss her gently. Ask permission, touch her in the right spot with the correct amount of pressure, with the correct configuration, and both you and earth will be very happy.

STS? No? Nobody? Ok...

I had an FE tell me once that he could recover the airplane if both pilots were dead/disabled...his solution? Couple the autopilot to the ILS and the airplane will land itself. I called BS and his response was "I know it'll work because I tried it in the sim".

On my instrument checkride, the examiner had me fly the ILS to a 0/0 landing (with foggles) to prove to myself that in an absolute emergency it could be done. Wasn't pretty, but it worked. The dude was crazy; we did a wing-over in a 172 for the unusual attitude. He was also the only remaining DC-3 examiner in the country, and his solution for icing was to fly into a hail storm to knock it off.

I don't know anything about the Herk, but I think in most planes (with the right rate of decent), you could couple the AP with the ILS and walk away alive.

I don't know anything about the Herk, but I think in most planes (with the right rate of decent), you could couple the AP with the ILS and walk away alive.

If you couple to the ILS down to the runway in a Herk, you might walk away alive, but the airplane certainly won't. That's IF you get the flight director to couple in the first place.

• Upvote 1

On my instrument checkride, the examiner had me fly the ILS to a 0/0 landing (with foggles) to prove to myself that in an absolute emergency it could be done. Wasn't pretty, but it worked. The dude was crazy; we did a wing-over in a 172 for the unusual attitude. He was also the only remaining DC-3 examiner in the country, and his solution for icing was to fly into a hail storm to knock it off.

Did you sleep at a Holiday Inn last night?