General Petraeus resigns amid affair scandal

Crown

I wonder if the FBI might have thought it would be better to look the other way? I understand them investigating because someone was trying to break into his email but couldn't they keep his personal issues private? What he did was wrong but it was something small in the grand scheme of things.

I don't think that's really the issue. Having those kinds of secrets opens up the possibility for extortion and blackmail; something you can't afford to have in a CIA officer. When you get investigated for a security clearance, they're not really looking to fry you over things you've done. They're looking for you to tell the truth.

• Upvote 1

From a buddy of mine who knows her...

Paula Broadwell was a freakin' diva and a complete nightmare to deal with. She was a Major in the Army Reserves (I thought), and was nothing short of a complete bitch. She was proto-typical P4 worshiper, believed that he was infallible, and was unnecessarily rude. For the record every Four-Star I have briefed or interacted with has been rocked by controversy and has left disgraced.

Why?

1. Controversy sells.

2. She just put two in the chest and one in the head of any future political aspirations the man had. He was easily electable, but perhaps she didn't like the thought of him holding any office.

3. She is narcissistic and loved the inside joke of her book title.

4. Regardless, he thought he could get away with it. Why else would he do it?

Out

You wrote he "was giving" ART 15s. I doubt that. No matter. My real issue was with timing: I understand the affair to be a more recent event, like after he retired. If it was, GO1 punishments were valid. If not, you're 100% right.

Just like when the CinC (Clinton) was foolin' around with Lewinski and the military was still court-martialling adulterers.

You forgot the former president was impeached for what he did.

You forgot the former president was impeached for what he did.

Pretty sure Clinton was impeached for perjury...not for boffing the intern(s)...

In the end, it doesn't matter does it? He's through, America's lost another role model, and it's a damn shame.

Edited by Learjetter
  • Upvote 1

4. Regardless, he thought he could get away with it. Why else would he do it?

I doubt this as he probably got caught up in the heat of the moment with a younger, attractive woman. He's in his 60s, she's much younger and wanted to be with someone powerful.

Break Break...

Suffice to say...women are the root of all evil.

I doubt this as he probably got caught up in the heat of the moment with a younger, attractive woman. He's in his 60s, she's much younger and wanted to be with someone powerful.

Quoting one of my professors "Hormones are powerful things..." If there's not another "shoe to drop", there might be a return to national leadership for him (albeit probably not at the POTUS or VPOTUS level) in a couple of years and after his marriage troubles are resolved (in whatever form that occurs). He is incredibly well thought of and has alot of support (even in this situation). but, same is true for his wife.

It certainly took intentional acts by the General and the biographer for this to happen. But I am imagining this didn't start with the General seeing her and telling his staff "have her washed and brought to my tent". Nonetheless, he should have been able to foresee this outcome & as much as I admire & respect his service, he just wouldn't be able to stay as the DCIA. I see it as a loss for everyone involved - the General and his family, the biographer and hers and, really, all of us.

He is destroyed and she will be set for life as a PhD at some liberal think tank. The power of ###### astounds.

I am guessing his next career move, if he chooses to have one, will be academics. With his experience and a Princeton PhD, many serious universities would love to have him join their faculty. I am thinking his most significant challenge now is with his family.

Edited by jcj

I like how you think she will work at some liberal think tank. You know she is a pretty conservative Republican right?

Just like you are a pretty conservative Republican, right? I don't give a fuck what she is. She took down a valid contender to Democrats in the future and she will be compensated nicely for it. Probably from some Soros backed think tank in Washington.

Edited by Vetter

She took down a valid contender to Democrats in the future and she will be compensated nicely for it.

Err, no.

He took a very hi-viz job under a very GOP-despised (probably not too strong a word) Democrat President. His viability within the GOP is akin to Powell's.

Unless the Republicans go Democrat-lite, then you may have a point.

But I would not have supported him. And not because of the affair, but because he, like so many 4-stars, didn't take the ultimate step of resigning in protest over a major military blunder foisted upon him by political considerations.

"Ok, General, I'm gonna surge you a bunch of guys, but you only get them for 14 months before I bring 'em all home. And tell the world my intentions."

"Umm, sir, respectfully, I quit because I cannot carry out your orders because I think they are militarily wrong."

Unlikely to happen? Yep.

Needed? Absolutely.

Never liked him. His reputation among the real warriors has never been favorable, to put it politely. I'm glad his charade is finally over.

He was no McChrystal.

Never liked him. His reputation among the real warriors has never been favorable, to put it politely. I'm glad his charade is finally over.

He was no McChrystal.

This interests me, what makes you say this?

New story claims the relationship lasted 9-10 months and ended 4 months ago. That timing puts it starting basically when Petraeus started at the CIA, i.e. post-retirement from the Army. Interesting that you choose to start an affair with someone you've known for a while right at the time when you move back to DC where you wife also happens to live and work after years of being overseas...the power of the pu$$y is strong I guess and doesn't lend to rational decisions.

Interesting article where Broadwell may have spilt the beans on Benghazi a couple of weeks ago. More interesting, to me anyway, after she speaks about Benghazi she is asked about women's rights and sexual assault issues in the military. She claims she is an advocate for more opportunity for women. Can't help but think she uses the power of the poon to get what she wants.

(Fast forward to about 34:40 in the video)

New story claims the relationship lasted 9-10 months and ended 4 months ago. That timing puts it starting basically when Petraeus started at the CIA, i.e. post-retirement from the Army. Interesting that you choose to start an affair with someone you've known for a while right at the time when you move back to DC where you wife also happens to live and work after years of being overseas...the power of the pu$$y is strong I guess and doesn't lend to rational decisions.

He had the whole UCMJ thing to deal with when he was AD. She's a Reservist/Lt Col. I wonder if she's going to be punished under the UCMJ for this?

The other, other woman. Second from the right, Jill Kelley, is supposedly the one who received threatening emails and originally notified authorities. Claims to be a family friend but never hooked up with the good General.

post-2194-0-18178100-1352728205_thumb.jp

Edited by FallingOsh

He was no McChrystal.

I have heard similar things about Petraeus from friends of mine in the Army. I am not a fan of the warrior/scholar/statesman model, and I think it almost always translates into shitty field commanders. However, promotion boards seem to get raging hardons for people with multiple academic degrees from Ivy League schools.

This

Holly+Petraeus+Defense+Secretary+Panetta+Holds+TTiZ7ZJjew2l.jpg

or this

scm_news_broadwell12.art_1_0.jpg

I looked for pictures online of Holly Petraeus when she was younger and she was a pretty lady. Time is not kind to everyone, but I am always impressed to hear what she has done for military families. However, I have no personal knowledge of it.

The other, other woman. Second from the right, Jill Kelley, is supposedly the one who received threatening emails and originally notified authorities. Claims to be a family friend but never hooked up with the good General.

When I heard the name "Jill Kelley" it made me think of a completely different person. I'm really curious how this all will unfold.

• Upvote 1

He was no McChrystal.

When I worked for McChrystal he had completely bought into the COIN model (without paring it to CT) and was denying air support for guys on the ground under fire for fear of hitting not just civilians, but cultural & historic sites; in a country destroyed by decades of war this became ridiculous quickly as many structures were already wrecked.

Id heard he was a straight killer in Iraq, or more accurately, facilitated those who were. All I can say is, his methods were universally despised and did not achieve results in OEF. When petraeus took them helm, the leash was loosed significantly and we did more business in a month than the previous 6. Does any of it make a strategic difference? Not my place to answer. But guys who loved McChrystal in 06 started hating him in 09.

• Upvote 1