F-15C Sniper pods?

di1630

Believe Simone had both rank and experience:

Simone: Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Anyone...Anyone...

Oh, you've "asked around" and no one you asked can confirm something that happened 20 ######ing years ago? No shit?

You might want to forgive a few people if they give less credibility to your connections than they do to Ol Patch's "story" based on his knowing the guys and giving his fellow weapons officer shit for getting beat on the range by his wingman.

LOL, the gospel of medal citations. You're funny.

Craniums up inspector, a lot of stuff that actually happens in combat doesn't make into medal citations. Almost as much stuff as what doesn't actually happen but does make it into medal citations. Almost as much.

Nothing ruins a good war story like an eye witness...and the best war stories typically don't make it into a medal citation.

If I ask around or research, I can get documented confirmation of things that happened in the Civil War. 20 years ago isn't that long ago - shouldn't be that much of a challenge.

The citation was an example. I have no clue what the rest of your rant meant.

If I ask around or research, I can get documented confirmation of things that happened in the Civil War. 20 years ago isn't that long ago - shouldn't be that much of a challenge.

Good. So go look it up yourself. I have no responsibility to look shit up for you. This is the fucking internet.

Now go away and don't come back until you've found it. It's out there.

Good. So go look it up yourself. I have no responsibility to look shit up for you. This is the ######ing internet.

Now go away and don't come back until you've found it. It's out there.

I think I already posted several times, that I cannot find anything. Danny Noonin, can you find anything regarding the C model strafing on the internet or in any other form of documentation? If you do not want to take responsibility for substantiating a claim, fair enough - don't make the claim. Am I missing something here Danny Noonin?

If you do not want to take responsibility for substantiating a claim, fair enough - don't make the claim. Am I missing something here Danny Noonin?

Yes you are. You are missing the fact that this is an internet forum, not a graduate class chat room. I bear exactly zero responsibility to footnote everything I say just to satisfy some anonymous clown.

Not really sure what your agenda is. At least three people in just this small group have already said they know about this, including one who told the actual story. You can either accept it as true, or get the fuck over it. Either way, I don't care.

What squadron...doesn't matter.

What were their names....doesn't matter.

What tail numbers did they not give to the tanker.....doesn't matter.

Your need to verify a war story on the internet .....doesn't matter. It probably isn't true.

What matters then.....my ice cold Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA. That matters.

• Upvote 2

I think I already posted several times, that I cannot find anything. Danny Noonin, can you find anything regarding the C model strafing on the internet or in any other form of documentation? If you do not want to take responsibility for substantiating a claim, fair enough - don't make the claim. Am I missing something here Danny Noonin?

I'm sure you're tired of hearing it, but you're an idiot. Not everything can be searched on the internet. A lot of guys here know each other or know of each other; yet it blows your mind that the word of a fellow FGO is credible to me? How many AARs on DNET are you reading? Just because you can't google it, it didn't happen? Dont even get me started on award citations. GFY.

....my ice cold Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA. That matters.

I know this is controversial, but I think SN torpedo IPA is the best IPA out there. Well played.

There is a documented source about an E model strafing at Robert's Ridge- it is in a guy's Silver Star citation.

There's actually about a decade's worth of F-15E pilots who have strafed in Afghanistan, but Junior and Panzer weren't actually the first guys to combat strafe in the F-15E.

Strangely enough, many combat achievements aren't printed in commercially-available books. Many times those MISREPs are, sorta, you know, classified and stuff.

EDIT: I've strafed a good number of times in Afghanistan; according to you, unless it says where and when it took place in a medal citation or it is printed in a book somewhere, that never happened?

Edited by Hacker

Not really sure what your agenda is. At least three people in just this small group have already said they know about this, including one who told the actual story. You can either accept it as true, or get the ###### over it. Either way, I don't care.

I'll be the fourth. It definitely happened. One of the shooters was in my Guard squadron and I've heard him tell the story at least twice.

At the time, he was flying with the 58th Gorillas out of Eglin. When you hear the story, the actual strafing comes across as very impromptu and unplanned. They saw the targets of opportunity and gave it a try. I'm pretty sure he said they coordinated with someone in the command structure prior to rolling in. Although, I doubt anyone was spring loaded to say no to much at that point in the war. There are some comic moments when he bottoms out of his pass below a ridge and can see some guys with AK type weapons shooting down at him as he blasts between a couple of building on the airfield bouncing flares off the ground behind him.

I got the impression that the feedback they got on the whole risk/reward aspect of the effort was not real positive. Maybe something like the Coach in "Major League"....... "Nice catch, Hayes, don't ever ######in' do it again".

Edited by JeremiahWeed
  • Upvote 1

I know this is controversial, but I think SN torpedo IPA is the best IPA out there. Well played.

I dunno...my Liberty Ale (an Anchor Steam IPA) is giving it a good run...I'll let you know after I do a little more testing.

I'm sure you're tired of hearing it, but you're an idiot. Not everything can be searched on the internet. A lot of guys here know each other or know of each other; yet it blows your mind that the word of a fellow FGO is credible to me? How many AARs on DNET are you reading? Just because you can't google it, it didn't happen? Dont even get me started on award citations. GFY.

Don't trust anyone over 30.

And who cares about some Eagles strafing some stuff. And this is probably exactly how the bar debrief went with the boss.

I think an E model killing an airborne Hind with a bomb is the coolest story ever. That one you can find on the internet.

I think an E model killing an airborne Hind with a bomb is the coolest story ever. That one you can find on the internet.

Here comes the real irony of that, given the drift of this discussion: at least one of the published books, and several of the online sources, print that kill as an MD-500 or some other kind of light helo.

And then, there's the official version of the story:

TB_and_Chewie.jpg

FWIW,... around '95 when I was a PIT IP, we had a C-model pilot going through the course, and he was one of the guys that got his wrist slapped for strafing with the Eagle. Sorry, I cannot remember his name. But I remember talking about it with him, as it was the first time I had heard of it.

At the time, I recall being pretty impressed, and thinking that was pretty cool, considering the fact they had very little dedicated training for that scenario.

Come to think of it, I still think it's pretty cool.

Edited by Huggyu2
  • Upvote 1

FWIW,... around '95 when I was a PIT IP, we had a C-model pilot going through the course, and he was one of the guys that got his wrist slapped for strafing with the Eagle. Sorry, I cannot remember his name. But I remember talking about it with him, as it was the first time I had heard of it.

At the time, I recall being pretty impressed, and thinking that was pretty cool, considering the fact they had very little dedicated training for that scenario.

Come to think of it, I still think it's pretty cool.

We're Sweet I'm SOF is going to need to see an old grade sheet for verification.

Strangely enough, many combat achievements aren't printed in commercially-available books. Many times those MISREPs are, sorta, you know, classified and stuff.

I think you are starting to see what I'm getting at. Or maybe that was an accident and you have no clue about what I am getting at.

If it is classified, it probably does not need to be discussed in an internet forum. If it was a significant event, such as a C-model strafing ground targets, and it is not classified - seems to me there would be a way to confirm that event, or at least one occasion of the event if it occured several times, other than some emotional dudes in an internet forum expressing anger because someone dared question their story.

other than some emotional dudes in an internet forum expressing anger because someone dared question their story.

That's a pretty bold statement you know, without actually being able to verify that they are dudes or angry...

seems to me

This seems to be the recurring problem.

• Upvote 2

I think you are starting to see what I'm getting at. Or maybe that was an accident and you have no clue about what I am getting at. If it is classified, it probably does not need to be discussed in an internet forum. If it was a significant event, such as a C-model strafing ground targets, and it is not classified - seems to me there would be a way to confirm that event, or at least one occasion of the event if it occured several times, other than some emotional dudes in an internet forum expressing anger because someone dared question their story.

I think you are the slow one here. It is not classified. There is a way to confirm this event happened...by talking to dudes who did it. Several of us have. That doesn't seem to be good enough for you, which is curious to me, but I'm not emotional about that. Don't really care, other than that you've derailed this thread over it.

Why isn't it on google? Who cares? You keep talking about this as some sort of significant event. These were not significant events, merely interesting to some and only due to the type of aircraft used. A truck and a couple airplanes getting strafed in the middle of DS are not particularly significant by any measure of the history of that war.

Strafe was in the first week of Desert Storm. 58 FS (or I suppose TFS in those days). 1st time was against trucks which they actually hit. The pilots did not report it but AWACS reported the event. The second time, in a 24 hour period, same squadron, on a Candid, on the ground. One of the Eagles was almost shot down by an SA-6. The Candid did have a wing knocked off. Next day, ATO stated "F-15 NO STRAFE." Gen Horner apparently was not happy about the whole thing. No, I was not there in that squadron but I just walked down the hall to talk to the guy who was there when it happened.

I was busy flying from the LIK where our F-16s were told not to strafe with the gun prior to dropping bombs. F-16 drivers, imagine if you will: roll in, AG called up, go DGFT, strafe while stepping on the rudder to spray 20mm everywhere (and I mean everywhere), then go back to AG and put the pipper on the tgt. The leadership at the LIK was not impressed - directive came out "no more F-16 ground strafe prior to dropping bombs." The guy who started it did it because his old man flying Jugs in WW II, would strafe with the guns while on a bombing pass as it caused the bad guys to duck rather than shooting at him. Whoda ever thought?

Does this derail this thread??

Edit: spelling....

Edited by Darth
  • Upvote 4

I think you are starting to see what I'm getting at. Or maybe that was an accident and you have no clue about what I am getting at.

If it is classified, it probably does not need to be discussed in an internet forum. If it was a significant event, such as a C-model strafing ground targets, and it is not classified - seems to me there would be a way to confirm that event, or at least one occasion of the event if it occured several times, other than some emotional dudes in an internet forum expressing anger because someone dared question their story.

Surely you have to understand the difference between classification on a MISREP -- a document with a compilation of a set of specific information regarding a combat mission -- and the classification (or not) of the events documented in that MISREP.

If you don't understand the difference, then you are clearly out of your depth in this discussion.

Even better, if you can't understand that there are lots of events that are unclassified, yet which aren't documented in commercially-available books or searchable on the internet, then you are also clearly out of your depth here.

You are still not giving any indication that you have the faintest idea what you are talking about on a lot of topics that are commonplace to most of us. You have even failed to provide any of the basic information about yourself that you said you would in the other thread, even after another poster gave you all of his details (one of the 'conditions' you made).