WTF? (**NSFW**)

slacker

Funny, but not real. Believe it or not, I've actually ran two segments of 2004 Athens Summer Olympics torch relay. It's nothing like that video...there are support runners all around you, vehicles front and back (to include a media truck full of cameras that drives in front of the torch bearer) and guys on motorcycles cutting through the route ensuring each relay goes as planned. There is also a back-up in case a runner's torch gets extinguished. It happens on occasion, but the torch is simply re-lit and goes on.

Samsung was the primary sponsor of the relay that year, and was kind enough to let us keep our torches (which cost about €300 apiece, if I remember correctly).

Cheers! M2

show off

"Before service in Afghanistan Lauren Kay Johnson, a lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force, said she was a fun-loving woman who would organize potluck and karaoke nights for friends.

But when she returned from her nine month-deployment in March 2010, the Seattle native struggled to get to grips with civilian life as the memories of war haunted her."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2443741/Female-officer-service-Afghanistan-took-emotional-toll.html

Synopsis: PA officer deployed to Afghanistan for 9 month...apparently her only deployment of her career. Now she says she has a hard time coping with her experiences, which included limited Internet service, bad food, and the threat of possible attacks. She stated sometimes she can talk about it, but often she can't.

As someone who's been deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan for a total of more than 29 months (to include 12 months as an advisor) and been shot at, this comes across to me as a joke.

Flame away gents:

http://uncamouflaged.blogspot.com/

"Before service in Afghanistan Lauren Kay Johnson, a lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force, said she was a fun-loving woman who would organize potluck and karaoke nights for friends.

But when she returned from her nine month-deployment in March 2010, the Seattle native struggled to get to grips with civilian life as the memories of war haunted her."

http://www.dailymail...ional-toll.html

Synopsis: PA officer deployed to Afghanistan for 9 month...apparently her only deployment of her career. Now she says she has a hard time coping with her experiences, which included limited Internet service, bad food, and the threat of possible attacks. She stated sometimes she can talk about it, but often she can't.

As someone who's been deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan for a total of more than 29 months (to include 12 months as an advisor) and been shot at, this comes across to me as a joke.

"'Again, I’m still working out the finer details, but this I know: Civilian Lauren has bangs. She likes to wear nice, tailored clothing and high heels.

'She likes to speak her mind, even when people around disagree. She’s feisty, emotional, sometimes irritable (especially when she’s hungry or tired), and a bit moody. But overall, I think she’s pretty cool."

Apparently, Civilian Lauren also speaks in the third-person.

Edited by pawnman

Re: Lauren,"She was eventually diagnosed with chronic adjustment disorder - a milder form of post-traumatic stress disorder"

I think a visit to her plastic surgeon and an agumentation would solve her PTSD. Nobody told her that the 12 yr old boy look would only attract video gamers who live with their parents.

Big surprise: She has multiple cats.

Bwahahahaha! I was gonna post the same thing, but I couldn't get the pic of her and her half-dozen cats from her blog to post on here!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/07/new-air-force-cargo-planes-fly-straight-into-mothballs/

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/u-s-air-force-shelving-brand-new-c-27j-spartans-article-1.1479580

The media has discovered the C-27J's are going straight to the boneyard from the assembly line. I'm glad some people will hear about this. Maybe it will make someone go 'hmmm...'. It's another great example of how things (don't) work these days.

http://www.dailymail...ional-toll.html

How the ###### is this news?!

So the worst thing that happened is she's a bitch when she's standing in line at the local Shitty Wok? I fail to see how this distinguishes her from everyone else in the takeout line.

This is all just a BS distraction for what's really important:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/5yearold-figures-he-has-a-year-left-of-peeing-at-u,34050/

Let's play a game!!!

Finish this statement!

I dove into my new job, moved into my first grownup apartment, and adjusted way too easily to the Gulf Coast bar scene. But socially, I struggled. Everyone I knew was two time zones away. In an environment where relationships are rank-dependent, I was one of two young officers in my office and the only unmarried one. Without the social Velcro of a classroom or work setting, I was clueless on how to make friends.

So I did what any single, lonely girl would do:

- See more at: http://uncamouflaged.blogspot.com/2013/02/a-love-story.html#sthash.MDzDbHXW.dpuf

Apparently the daily mail pirated a bunch of stuff off her Facebook & blog & printed it as an article... // scoff //

Dear readers,

If you found me via the Daily Mail article, hi, welcome. I appreciate you taking the time to refer to my blog rather than simply adding to the Daily Mail's comment thread. I have been receiving a lot of comments here regarding that "article" and since many deal with similar issues, I figured I'd post something here for posterity:

I did not write the Daily Mail "article," nor was I involved in it in any way (believe me, if I was, I definitely would have chosen more flattering photos, and photos that are a more representative cross-section of the Facebook page they were taken from, including at least one of my cats). I wasn't even aware of the "article" until I started receiving messages about it. The "author" of that "article" took a random assortment of quotes from my blog and the Glamour essay and smushed them together for her "story," changing the context and the tone.

This is a public forum, and I welcome your thoughts and feedback. However, I would appreciate you withholding your feedback until you read the essay that I actually wrote versus the DM's sad excuse for journalism. Read my actual writing, then bring it on.

Thank you,

Lauren

Edited by 10percenttruth

Apparantly Tom Hanks' latest movie isn't as historically accurate as some claim...

Crew members: ‘Captain Phillips’ is one big lie

What do you know...Hollywood types change the true story to make their film look better--say it isn't so!!

All I have to say in regards to being a civilian crew member in international waters (especially where pirates are known to be) and being unarmed--fvck that! I could care less what the statistics show in terms of actually being killed--I don't want my life riding on the mercy of an asshole pirate.

It's not that the Hollywood dudes changed things, the crew is alleging that the Phillip's book, which is what the movie is based on, was not a true account of what happened.

What do you know...Hollywood types change the true story to make their film look better--say it isn't so!!

All I have to say in regards to being a civilian crew member in international waters (especially where pirates are known to be) and being unarmed--fvck that! I could care less what the statistics show in terms of actually being killed--I don't want my life riding on the mercy of an asshole pirate.

It's not that the Hollywood dudes changed things, the crew is alleging that the Phillip's book, which is what the movie is based on, was not a true account of what happened.

So you're telling me if the movie was a historical documentary...that they would just go with this book, hands down, that's it? Or would they go further than the book and do some more research? When it's a movie 'based off a true story', they can switch it up quite a bit (or just go off of a single book) in order to satisfy the theatrical story they are trying to portray.

Have you seen the movie 'Argo'? Are you going to tell me that it was historically accurate to the last detail?