WTF? (**NSFW**)

slacker

It's cool. We'll just keep RIFing LT pilots, while paying out ever-larger retention bonuses to the Maj and LtCols. That's cost effective, right?

Yeah, but the AF can do a lot more with those majors and Lt Cols and there has been a considerable investment in the higher ranks than a Lt. The whole capt board is a joke. Believe it or not, each Lt has to be ranked by their senior rater when allotting DPs and Ps. The discriminators reside in the few TRs these LTs received from training. And you know what? Someone has to be number 1 out of whatever and someone has to be last. Crazy.

The whole capt board is a joke.

-My #1 choice for SNACKO! "Best Jalapeno corn seen to date!" -XXFS/CC-Squadron morale up 50%

-AF history expert! Led several heritage events at roll call-Baseline raised for other members of LPA

-VLO SME! LFE asset, RFAK with no FDL and zero blind calls in 55 min VUL-bar raised for CAF pilots

Ughh... I need to fly more BFM.

@Butters

I commissioned on May 1 2009, EAD on 28 OCT 2009, IFS 3 Jan 2010 UPT Feb 2010, Graduated March 2011, put on 1LT 29 June 2011 (my date of rank) in the C-130 school house graduated on 28 Oct 2011 (Which means my first OPR closes out 28 OCT 2012) That was my time line. The only thing I got on casual was an LOE.

Edited by ziploc158

Yeah, but the AF can do a lot more with those majors and Lt Cols and there has been a considerable investment in the higher ranks than a Lt.

You have a flaw in your analysis. There has been both investment and payback with Maj and LtCol assets. They are more valuable because they are more capable hence the retention bonus.

However, the return on investment in a Lt is zero if you pass him/her over. That is incredibly wasteful. That's how you go bankrupt.

The ARC gets a bunch of free Lts.

This reminds me of the implementation of the pilot "bank" concept in 1991. We were just about through 38's when they showed up and briefed us that there weren't enough jets for all of us. Orignally, those in my class who didnt have a seat when the dust settled were allowed to seperate and join ARC/guard units the day they pinned on their wings. Some are still flying today, no staff, and 69% less queep.

@Butters

I commissioned on May 1 2009, EAD on 28 OCT 2009, IFS 3 Jan 2010 UPT Feb 2010, Graduated March 2011, put on 1LT 29 June 2011 (my date of rank) in the C-130 school house graduated on 28 Oct 2011 (Which means my first OPR closes out 28 OCT 2012) That was my time line. The only thing I got on casual was an LOE.

That sucks man. Your squadron should have taken better care of you and written your OPR earlier (only need 120 day supervision). I know that does not help now, but if someone else has their board coming up, they may want to think about that.

@Butters

Unless things have changed, your first OPR was due 1 year after you graduated UPT, not the schoolhouse. Or is the 130 schoolhouse >20 weeks? Your Sq may have fucked you.

Unless things have changed, your first OPR was due 1 year after you graduated UPT, not the schoolhouse. Or is the 130 schoolhouse >20 weeks? Your Sq may have ######ed you.

Yes his sq did partially f him, but the 130 schoolhouse is well over 20 weeks. The J school house is long enough to make it a full up PCS, and the legacy is over 4 months as well depending on what course your going through. But talking to the guys in the 714th who had to write all those prf's for these Lt's said its hard when all you have is training reports and pt scores to use and only a couple had actuall opr's. I think these boards are a joke.

Ziploc, I have a similar timeline to you and my receiving squad was asking me info for my OPR package while I was still at the schoolhouse. My OPR was fairly generic and basically just said that I was still going through formal training. The timeline that I remember this all happening is consistent with the OPR closeout being one year after UPT. I agree with the above comments, sounds like you got ######ed and you need to go have a word with your squads exec shop.

I may be wrong but I thought It was one year after formal training

It depends on the length of the training course. First OPR is due 1 year after completing training of 20 weeks or more. So, my first OPR was due 1 year after graduating UPT because KC-10 IQT is <20 weeks. Yours was due 1 year after FTU if it was over 20 weeks. But like Butters said, your Sq should have done one at 120 days of supervision.

I have a Col that I work with that sat the board and confirms the pass-overs for those without OPRs to include aircrew, or those who didn't make it through aircrew training and reclassed into something else.

Couldn't imagine getting medically DQ'd from UPT, sitting casual, going intel, waiting on clearances/training and then not getting promoted.

Additionally.. those that got passed over at the last board completed for APZ consideration and knocked some of your/my peers out for Capt this time as well. I've yet to hear anyone O6 and above sing about the virtues of this selection process.

If I had to do another year as a Lt I'd punch.

Edited by 17D_guy
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, but the AF can do a lot more with those majors and Lt Cols and there has been a considerable investment in the higher ranks than a Lt. The whole capt board is a joke. Believe it or not, each Lt has to be ranked by their senior rater when allotting DPs and Ps. The discriminators reside in the few TRs these LTs received from training. And you know what? Someone has to be number 1 out of whatever and someone has to be last. Crazy.

The point is...if there's a pilot shortage that the AF is paying out huge money to fix, WHY ARE WE RIFFING PILOTS FRESH FROM TRAINING?

The point is...if there's a pilot shortage that the AF is paying out huge money to fix, WHY ARE WE RIFFING PILOTS FRESH FROM TRAINING?

The promotion rate to Captain for pilots this year was over 97%, and many of those not selected had major QFIs. Navs were 92%, which was the promotion rate AF-wide. Almost 50% of APZ Lts were selected this year, comapred to less than 2% last year. The reason was likely that a lot of those passed over last year were good dudes that just didn't have any OPRs. The biggest discriminators the past two years have been UIFs, failed ASBC (seriously), and failed initial skills training.

As a side note, Space has done horribly the last two years (~85%). Mostly due to the fact that training and casual take forever, so many folks had 2 OPRs at the most. The Air Force didn't spend much money on the training, so space officers aren't nearly as valuableas their rated peers. Meanwhile, the mission support career fields are well above 95% promotion due to their numerous OPRs when meeting the board.

Edited by Gravedigger

He's a legit something, that is true.

Two Dogs....KIO.....don't talk to the media or write a book....technique only.....holy crap I'm ashamed and was a light grey guy....someone needs to call an IP meeting and debrief this crap or you'll wind up with more "No Easy Days"!

PS...nothing from a weasel or air to air scenario in the last 22 years merits a book......on the other hand CAS and PR have at it!

• Upvote 5

Student Spiked Teacher's Coffee With Butt Pills

buttfront.jpg

OCTOBER 5--Police are investigating a North Carolina high school student who allegedly spiked his teacher’s coffee with “GluteBoost,” a supplement that purports to “enhance your butt size.”

Charlotte cops learned of the alleged tampering from Ellen Vick, a 61-year-old teacher at Independence High School who reported that her drink was spiked last week with “some sort of substance,” according to a police report...(full story at title link).

I suspect that's a stock photo, and not the actual butt in question!

Either way, it's a peach!

Cheers! M2

I feel like this belongs in this thread....

Myself and other 1Lts, with no force indicators (DUI, article 15 etc.), that have been out of UPT/Formal training for less than a year with no OPRs got passed over for captain...

I know a guy who just got the same shaft. Wouldn't be surprised if you know him. From the RUMINT I got it was due to paperwork neglect by the folks who are supposed to be looking out for trainees at Corpus (wondering if there is a trend of -130 guys who got RIF'd). Not sure if there was supposed to be some PRF-like document saying "this guy isn't a douche" or "no DUIs", but in essence whoever was responsible submitted them blank...and the message was received loud and clear at AFPC. Unfortunately whoever fucked up on this one won't be held accountable.

Our unit either caught it when it was too late or didn't even see it coming. Everyone is saying the unit has failed them, but lets be honest...if you were working in an undermanned exec shop and a new LT with no discriminators came in asking for you to do an early OPR for his captains board...what would you honestly tell him? It's not a failure at the unit...but at some other level. We shouldn't have to be worrying about pumping up new LTs records with drivel in order to save their careers.

Could always go VFR direct to Gen Welsh with a well-written letter. Normally not advisable for your career...but who the hell cares now. He is always strumming the "people first" strings, it might get through to him.

For the meantime, use up all the benefits while you can!