Blues on Monday

okienav

Corporate World perspective:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/want-to-be-ceo--what-s-your-bmi--174101605.html

Without extenuating circumstances (i.e. the SQ/CC can't pass the run), I tend to agree with Grave, but it raises other questions. If you're firing CC's for failing a PT test, would you also fire them for a Q3? A speeding ticket? I'm sure the GP or WG/CC made his policy clear when the various CCs were hired.

I am basing my findings on the stats from my wing. What I remember from my two previous bases lines up pretty closely with what I see at my current base.

No, I have personally not ever seen that. I have several friends that have failed PFTs, hell my wife once failed her PFT. All of them learned from it, got to the gym and passed with flying colors on their next test. My wife had an OPR closing out during her failure, so she got permission to re-test two weeks later and got a 90. You don't get kicked out of the Air Force for one failure. The squadron commanders that were fired are still in the Air Force. However, you can't hold people to a standard you can't meet yourself, so as a SQ/CC you can't fail, period. I am not saying that people with one failure in their career don't have their feces consolidated. I am talking about the people that fail every other test, or fail three then pass one to avoid separation. Those people, in my experience, aren't hard working or aren't motivated or are always late or have a lot of financial difficulty or have difficulty managing their lives in general.

Maybe your experiences are different.

This just proves how ridiculous the policies are!

You're telling me that in two weeks your wife's physical fitness increased so dramatically that she went from a "fail" to a 90? Or was it that the test she failed was such a crock for whatever reason and then turned around and got a 90 two weeks later. GMAFB. Did she have other "life issues" that caused her to fail?

• Upvote 2

You can't possibly believe this, do you?

While discussing the PFT with my SQ/CC he told me the WG/CC required his commanders to score an excellent. Don't score an excellent on the PFT lose your squadron. This was the same WG/CC that required a 100% on closed book tests. "There's only one passing grade on closed book exams in my wing, 100%." Thankfully, that WG/CC is long gone.

she went from a "fail" to a 90? Or was it that the test she failed was such a crock for whatever reason and then turned around and got a 90 two weeks later. GMAFB.

She actually failed with a 90 the first time, missed by 2 push-ups. The tests she has taken since she has been nowhere near the minimum, because if you are that close to the edge and have a shitty day, you fail.

In my previous post I said it's not the one time failures I'm worried about. It's the people that fail repeatedly, even after ample opportunity to improve.

I'm not saying the system is great, what I am saying is that fitness is important and that people that continuously fail PFTs generally have other problems as well. To me, it's kind of like DUIs. I have seen some really good dudes get a DUI. People that get multiple DUIs on the other hand are typically not the really good dudes.

ETA: We obviously aren't going to agree on this one; can we agree that no more blues Monday is awesome, as are boobs?

Edited by Gravedigger

While discussing the PFT with my SQ/CC he told me the WG/CC required his commanders to score an excellent. Don't score an excellent on the PFT lose your squadron. This was the same WG/CC that required a 100% on closed book tests. "There's only one passing grade on closed book exams in my wing, 100%." Thankfully, that WG/CC is long gone.

Must have been a missiler, gotta be 100% when you turn that key.

Ahhhh... the good old days.

Hopefully he has a star now.

If you're firing CC's for failing a PT test, would you also fire them for a Q3? A speeding ticket?

In and of themselves, Q3 or speeding tickets do not lead to a referral OPR. That being said, who wants a CC who gets a Q3?

And who can't pass our pathetic PT test? Gimme a fucking break.

Weren't we talking about blues?

• Upvote 1

So I'm assuming if he didn't get an excellent or a 100% on the closed book, he would give up his command?

In and of themselves, Q3 or speeding tickets do not lead to a referral OPR.

So, is a speeding ticket something you have to report to your CC? If so, this is the first I've heard of this.

Edited by SocialD

I wonder what was going through Skeletor II's brain 6-9 seconds after he found out that Welsh reversed (for lack of a better term) his Blues Monday policy...

I doubt he cares---he has bigger things to worry about now, like the length of the line @ the pharmacy, catching that hop to Hawaii as. Cat VI, and not standing in the middle of the aisle @ the commissary.

• 1 year later...

WRI is doing a monthly blues day....I hear that Fairchild is doing the same. This happening anywhere else?

That's news to me.

Even with as fucked up as we are ourselves... sometimes it pays to be a Reservist at WRI.

So this is probably going to get me flamed but here it goes:

I never understand the animosity towards wearing blues if you're in an office environment. IMO if you work in shops like Wg/Staff, finance, MPF, and other back offices that never require and manual labor or getting dirty then there's no reason to wear a utility uniform. If you get the uniform fit correctly and tailored, it's not uncomfortable. I know a lot of the civilian business landscape has changed WRT to wearing a suit and tie to work (ie Mad Men) but that doesn't mean that the military needs to have everybody wear a utility uniform to make them feel like a warrior. If you're job is a support organization that is in an office environment, you should look like it.

Granted supervisors that require blind adherence to the "blues on a day" policy take it way too far when they require personnel like CE, cops, MX etc to change when they post or perform duties that actually require a utility uniform. Policies like that are retarded. Wearing an office uniform if your job is in the office seems like common sense.

Flame away.

Edited by Breckey
  • Upvote 1

Guest ThatGuy

Why not do away with blues until we have a vast majority of our forces out of Afghanistan? That way people do not forget a lot of folks are still hacking the mission abroad. I think this was done during the SECDEF Rumsfeld era.