Gun Talk

VL-16

Quick question for you gun experts. My father in law has a old ancient Stevens Savage 1500 shotgun that he had when he was younger. Best guess is that it's circa mid '40s. Looks to be in really good shape, been in a bag since 1964. Any idea if it's worth something? He said he didn't want it, and was just going to turn it into the police, but I thought we should check to see if it's worth anything to a collector.

Quick question for you gun experts. My father in law has a old ancient Stevens Savage 1500 shotgun that he had when he was younger. Best guess is that it's circa mid '40s. Looks to be in really good shape, been in a bag since 1964. Any idea if it's worth something? He said he didn't want it, and was just going to turn it into the police, but I thought we should check to see if it's worth anything to a collector.

Old Ancient is not worth very much. If it was new ancient that would be a different story.

Why is he turning it into the police? Why doesn't he just give it to his son-in-law, or sell it to someone looking for a decent shottie? Hell, if he's willing to just let it be destroyed, I will take it off his hands just to save it from that fate. There's no reason to just throw it away unless for some reason it is not safe to shoot and/or cannot be repaired...

Anything instead of turning it into the police!

It's like the DDR programs we had in Iraq and Afghanistan, thousands of historical weapons were turned in and destroyed. It's idiotic.

It has value if only because it is almost as old as I am!

Cheers! M2

Wasn't sure if this should be in the Columbus UPT thread or not, but does anyone know of a decent gunsmith in or around Columbus?

I'm looking to have some mods done to my AR and Gary's didn't exactly impress me when I visited.

I'm perfectly fine with traveling to Birmingham, Memphis, or Jackson to make sure it's done right.

M2, I'll be in San Antonio in the next few days. Can you recommend a good shooting range? Also curious if it's worth looking on base at Lackland or any of the bases to see if they seek decent guns in the BX. Thanks.

Tac

No guns for sale at any of the BX/PX in the SA area, you have to go up to Killeen (Ft Hood) to see that and it's not worth the time or effort. Lackland has ammo, but not a lot of it and the prices are ridiculous.

As for ranges, it depends on what side of town you're on. There is a nice new indoor range called Nardis that opened on the SE side of SA, I haven't shot there but I keep hearing great things about it. I shoot on Bullis but it's only open on Saturdays and Sundays. Blackhawk which is SW of SA in Atascosa is pretty cool, as is Cedar Ridge up NE of SA. Bracken is pretty strict but I've never had a problem the few times I've shot there.

I've heard Bexar County Community Range out towards Sequin isn't bad, but I've not shot there.

Steer clear of the Bullethole unless you are ponying up the month for a private bay. Too many idiots shoot there, it's been dangerous and I avoid the place but if you get a private bay it's better.

Also stay away from Texas Thunder indoor range on Bandera Road, way overpriced and you have to buy their overpriced ammo. A Place To Shoot on the southside is also worth passing on.

Lastly, Bass Pro has an indoor range but by appointment only (210 253-8800), plus you have to check your weapon in when you go through the front door and it's $10 per person for 30 minutes of range use.

Hope that helps!

Cheers! M2

That helps a ton, thanks for the SA. I'm surprised the BX on Lackland doesn't sell weapons, the one on Eglin is actually pretty good and Im hoping they haven't been paying attention to the rising prices so I can score something decent when I go home next week; assuming the 7 SFG guys haven't bought it out yet. I'm kicking myself for passing on a few really cool .22's last time I was there. Thanks again for the rundown of KSAT area ranges, just looking to do some plinking with family.

Has the bullethole gotten worse? Didn't think that was possible without more people!

For some reason people still go there despite all the buffoonery that goes on, I guess that only proves you can't fix stupid.

I've been once in the past few years, had a buddy in town who had a small window of opportunity to shoot so we got a private bay so he could check out some of my AKs (all of which are now lost on the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico).

I still vehemently hate the place and would rather not shoot at all than to risk my life on their regular ranges.

Newspaper Posts Gun Owners' Names

Here

Thank God there's no firearms registration in Texas, and CHL information is protected from public release by law...

GC §411.192. CONFIDENTIALITY OF RECORDS. (a) The department shall disclose to a criminal justice agency information contained in its files and records regarding whether a named individual or any individual named in a specified list is licensed under this subchapter. Information on an individual subject to disclosure under this section includes the individual's name, date of birth, gender, race, zip code, telephone number, e-mail address, and Internet website address. Except as otherwise provided by this section and by Section 411.193, all other records maintained under this subchapter are confidential and are not subject to mandatory disclosure under the open records law, Chapter 552.

And yet another reason not to live in that shit hole called New York...

• Upvote 2

If I found out that I DID NOT have a dot on that map, I would want to get it corrected immediately. Easy pickings for criminals to take that map with them on crime sprees and target all non-gun owners. This is why registration laws are a bad idea and is a major part of that 'slippery slope' that some folks deny exists.

• Upvote 2

If I found out that I DID NOT have a dot on that map, I would want to get it corrected immediately. Easy pickings for criminals to take that map with them on crime sprees and target all non-gun owners. This is why registration laws are a bad idea and is a major part of that 'slippery slope' that some folks deny exists.

The man has a point.

$5 says there's a shit-ton of "unregistered" gun owners not on that map. Someone should overlay "gun crime" locations over the "lawful owners" map--another $5 says there will be very few dots that line up.

Probably a lot more than you think (and not just for what you are saying about common criminals and gang bangers) -- nice article on that here:

http://reason.com/archives/2012/12/22/gun-restrictions-have-always-bred-defian

Tried working with Quantico Tactical on their M&P15. I highly recommend staying away from them.

I originally e-mailed them Sunday, and received a response Monday morning to call that day to secure a rifle. I asked about the M&P 15 M4 Clone with carry handle. I think it was listed on the website at around $780 after mail-in rebate. I knew they were on back order, but I asked if I could order and pay for one now so I'd have a dated receipt to get the $100 rebate from S&W.

Monday I tried calling, but the store was closed. So I e-mailed Lisa (head of govt sales) again and left a voicemail.

Last night she e-mailed me and apologized for missing me (they closed early Monday) and said to call today. After several attempts, I finally got in touch with her.

Apparently the prices of all the M&P had gone up nearly $100 ($829) since the weekend. And despite saying it would be no problem, she would not charge me to generate a receipt until the rifle comes in and ships (one-two weeks). So the price is actually $929.

My buddy and I were going to buy two rifles, so later today I called back and asked if she'd honor the original price for both of us, but she declined. I understand demand right now, but if you're going to market to military and act like you're helping everyone out, it's poor form to raise the price over the course of a couple of days. You're not doing me a favor buy selling me something, so don't act like it. Especially when no manufacturer has raised any prices. (Her stance was, "Well it's still well under MSRP").

Anyway, recommend avoiding that place for firearms purchases.

Tried working with Quantico Tactical on their M&P15. I highly recommend staying away from them.

Snip...

Anyway, recommend avoiding that place for firearms purchases.

I had the opposite experience with them. Bought an M&P Shield from them and they had great communication. Stated the pistol was not instock but had a delivery date available for their restock. Pistol arrived before the stated date.

I would likely cut them some slack due to the holiday. They were open a half day on Christmas Eve and even sent you an email on Christmas itself.

A $49 mark up isn't bad when people have marked up a single magazine more than that since the 14th. Personally, if you want the rifle I'd call them and get on the list. You're not going to beat their price during this panic - the worst I've seen BTW.

S&W won't cut you the $100 off anyhow without the serial number which Quantico couldn't provide without the rifle in hand.

BF

Quick question. Has anyone had any luck buying an AR recently? I talked to the local Cabelas last week and they said that they would be getting a shipment in today and that they would be available tomorrow. I called right after they opened today and they had 20 @ about $750 and then a bunch more up to about $1700 and they hit the floor first thing in the morning and not tomorrow like they said and were gone in less than an hour. I should have just showed up first thing. I was going to buy one of these a few months ago and waited and am now regretting it. DAMN IT! The thing that is really grinding on me is I've had several shops tell me that a lot of people who are buying them have no knowledge about guns and don't even know what kind of ammo to buy for it! Anyway, any recommendations? Also, a few pages back I saw some people commenting on the House not allowing an assault weapons ban, which I in theory agree with, but I can see the Dems using this as a bargaining chip with taxes etc. What do you think? I am thinking that this is all going to blow over but don't want to get caught empty handed just in case.

The Republicans don't help their cause by acting like Democrats. If the GOP votes in any kind of ban, they are screwed as the 2nd Amendment often serves as THE single issue that gun folks use to determine who and who not to vote for.

The GOP didn't make huge gains in 2010 by saying they changed their minds and now support Obamacare. Look at the Dem Senators up for re-election in 2014...places like SD, AR, AK, LA...dangerous votes to go against the 2nd Amendment. That being said, I hope legislation comes up for a vote in Jan/Feb--sooner this is killed, sooner the prices will come back down. My $.02

IMHO a full-up assault weapons ban has about a snowball's chance in hell of passing Congress right now so if I were looking to buy an AR I'd wait out the price gouging. I'd be less surprised to see a high-cap magazine ban come about, but then again less surprised than "a snowball's chance in hell" is still pretty long odds. Like others have said the votes just aren't there in the GOP-controlled House and it's not exactly a slam-dunk in the Senate either.

GL getting the rifle you're looking for and personally I'm not going to pay too much. After the 21st of December came and went I think the zombie apocalypse is on hold and any guns/ammo purchases can stand to wait until prices go back to sorta reasonable.

• Upvote 1

IMHO a full-up assault weapons ban has about a snowball's chance in hell of passing Congress right now so if I were looking to buy an AR I'd wait out the price gouging. I'd be less surprised to see a high-cap magazine ban come about, but then again less surprised than "a snowball's chance in hell" is still pretty long odds. Like others have said the votes just aren't there in the GOP-controlled House and it's not exactly a slam-dunk in the Senate either.

GL getting the rifle you're looking for and personally I'm not going to pay too much. After the 21st of December came and went I think the zombie apocalypse is on hold and any guns/ammo purchases can stand to wait until prices go back to sorta reasonable.

I agree with you for once.

• Upvote 1

Hey--what happened to the President not pushing any new gun legislation?? And don't say the school shooting, else I'll bring up the Aurora shootings, all the killings in Chicago, etc...and not like any new gun bans would have prevented the shooting.

Agree with your analysis though. From a political standpoint, I'm assuming Reid will allow Feinstein's Bill to at least come up for a vote? I hope it does.