Gun Talk

VL-16

I posted this in another thread, but this is a better place.

The 81st Fighter Squadron in Spangdahlem is on the chopping block with the looming budget cuts. Kimber designed us a custom 1911 TLE II to commemorate the Panthers. If you're interested then send me a PM and I'll get you the mock-up.

I gently stocked up before the election. My hope is that others stocked up as well and don't buy much for the next month or so, which hopefully sends the message to suppliers that they can lower their prices. But we all know that if prices were the same we would be buying like crazy. If you make, distribute, or sell ammo and mags, business is good. Nothing like a little fear to generate sales.

Out

Well the election certainly spooked a lot of gun peeps...ammo sales through the roof (and prices are up), the place I use added a second shift to ship all the orders.

I stopped by an Academy sports store on my way home from work on Friday and things weren't looking too bad...

AcademyAmmo.jpg

That's about par for around here, and nowhere near as bad as it was this time back in 2008.

Cheers! M2

All of my sites for .223 are backordered, unless you want higher end match ammo or want to pay double the price.

Cheaper Than Dirt gouged .223 the day after the election. Raised the price by a hundred bucks. Fuckers.

7.62x39 has been increasing in price/decreasing in availability for months now, last batch I picked up was through a bud who was getting rid of some and even then I didn't get the greatest of prices but I was just happy to find some.

Try www.wideners.com Nevermind, I see they're out as well.

Cheers! M2

Here are some websites that have been recommended for finding deals on ammo...

http://www.slickguns.com

http://gun-deals.com/ammo

http://ammoseek.com/

http://www.ammoengine.com/

Also, it appears Centerfire followed CTD's lead, from this post on an AK forum...

It's sure not centerfire. Thieving magnus jumped his price on lousy Tula x39 by $40.00 after the election. And he raised AMD 65's by $60.00 Fuck him.

Cheers! M2

Not that I really needed a new AR, but saw that the Smith & Wesson MP15 'Optics Ready' was on sale at Bud's Police Supply for $679...that coupled with the SW $100 Rebate for us military types...and I just couldn't pass it up. Hopefully I'll have by late next week. A mid level AR that I can abuse while keeping my nicer one in better shape.

http://www.budspolic...products_id=170

Cheaper Than Dirt gouged .223 the day after the election. Raised the price by a hundred bucks. ######ers.

7.62x39 has been increasing in price/decreasing in availability for months now, last batch I picked up was through a bud who was getting rid of some and even then I didn't get the greatest of prices but I was just happy to find some.

Try www.wideners.com Nevermind, I see they're out as well.

Cheers! M2

Interesting to note that Bud's Police has now sold out of the AR linked above, and the price has gone up by $80. Glad I got one the day after the election.

For all of you 9mm guys, here's a pretty sweet Black Friday deal on good quality brass:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ammunition/black-friday-ammo-sale/federal-american-eagle-9mm-115gr-fmj-50rd.html

I've bought ammo from Palmetto before--solid company. This is probably one of the better ammo deals I've seen in a while. Too bad I'm a .40 guy.

Anyone have any bullpup experience? I'm looking at the new AUG A3 NATO which takes standard AR mags. Also I've heard Tavor is going to make a US appearance.

I have a Bushmaster M17 bullpup. Shoots .223 and uses standard AR mags. Fun to shoot and easy to maintain. The biggest drawback to bullpups is generally poor triggers since the trigger is usually more than 6-9" from the firing pin. Only 30" long and still has a 21.5" barrel.

I have a Bushmaster M17 bullpup. Shoots .223 and uses standard AR mags. Fun to shoot and easy to maintain. The biggest drawback to bullpups is generally poor triggers since the trigger is usually more than 6-9" from the firing pin. Only 30" long and still has a 21.5" barrel.

I've shot the M17, I didnt know they still made those! My brother had one about 10 years ago we plinked with. Ive heard this said about bullpup triggers, including the AUG (although supposedly there is a trigger tamer aftermarket available) but can't remember how the trigger felt on the M17. Is it really that bad? I just put a SSA on my AR, and it's great, but the trigger wasn't awful before. So are we talking bad like standard AR bad? Or are we talking bad like squirt gun bad?

They don't make them anymore. I bought mine about 10 years ago at a gun show; I think they were just finishing production about that time since the military contracts didn't materialize. The trigger is pretty bad, worse than a standard Bushmaster AR. I would not buy a bullpup to be a sub 1 target rifle, but as a plinking gun, it is forgivable. I may also be a little harsh on the trigger criticism as most of my shooting lately has been hunting rifles with <4 lbs breaks. I've also never shot the AUG, so I'm just projecting my Bushmaster bullpup experience to all bullpups. That being said, due to the mechanism required for a bullpup trigger, I just don't see how the trigger would ever be able to compete with a conventional trigger.

Don't get me wrong, it is a fun rifle to shoot, just wanted to make sure you were aware of the drawbacks of bullpups. The trigger and the brass hitting a lefty shooter in the face are the two reasons I see not to buy one. But it is fun to shoot, virtually indestructible, and the considerably shorter length would make a bullpup a good choice for home defense as well.

They don't make them anymore. I bought mine about 10 years ago at a gun show; I think they were just finishing production about that time since the military contracts didn't materialize. The trigger is pretty bad, worse than a standard Bushmaster AR. I would not buy a bullpup to be a sub 1 target rifle, but as a plinking gun, it is forgivable. I may also be a little harsh on the trigger criticism as most of my shooting lately has been hunting rifles with &lt;4 lbs breaks. I've also never shot the AUG, so I'm just projecting my Bushmaster bullpup experience to all bullpups. That being said, due to the mechanism required for a bullpup trigger, I just don't see how the trigger would ever be able to compete with a conventional trigger.

Don't get me wrong, it is a fun rifle to shoot, just wanted to make sure you were aware of the drawbacks of bullpups. The trigger and the brass hitting a lefty shooter in the face are the two reasons I see not to buy one. But it is fun to shoot, virtually indestructible, and the considerably shorter length would make a bullpup a good choice for home defense as well.

Valid, good feedback. I've been watching YouTube videos of the new Tavor that's about to be released, it's hard to buy sight unseen but I'm actually leaning towards that over the AUG. I've been told the trigger is a bit better than the AUG due to a metal group instead of plastic. I know it can't compete with my SSA, but still looks awesome.

For all my WI dudes that spent some time in the woods this last week, hope you got something close to the legendary 30 pointer. For everyone else, here's a little something from the locals.

I don't hunt but my buddy got a little 4-pointer Up Nort over the weekend, so we had some backstraps last night while the Packers got killed... That's some tasty bounty of the forest ya know

:beer:

Do any of the Korea or Turkey bag makers make any soft rifle cases or other range bags? I didn't see anything on the Royal Bag website....

Been a looooong time, but Royal Bag outside Osan made me handgun and long-gun cases.

And :beer: owed for not reading the entire post regarding Royal Bag. But they did have them and didn't raise an eyebrow when I asked for some modifications to their existing pattern.

Edited by brickhistory

For all of you 9mm guys, here's a pretty sweet Black Friday deal on good quality brass:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ammunition/black-friday-ammo-sale/federal-american-eagle-9mm-115gr-fmj-50rd.html

I've bought ammo from Palmetto before--solid company. This is probably one of the better ammo deals I've seen in a while. Too bad I'm a .40 guy.

Thanks for this. It gave me an excuse to get some more rounds.

• Upvote 1