WTF? (**NSFW**)

slacker

Why, on earth, is this in the WTF thread? I say this warrants it's very own BOPs.net 'Breast Squeezing' thread!

It's in the "WTF" thread because every reasonable person who reads that article says, "WTF? Why wasn't this information released 50 years ago?"

But you're right; this gem might need to be pinned.

Edited by Royal

I love when we get people debating the value of guns who have clearly never fired, used, been trained on or even touched a pistol or rifle. The latest from FoxNews.

To qualify as a semiautomatic assault weapon, a semiautomatic rifle had to have a detachable magazine and two or more of five specific features -- including a grenade launcher and a bayonet mount. Some gun makers simply modified their weapons to avoid qualifying under this definition.

I've checked and I still can't get 40mm HE at my local Wal Mart, and Cheaper than Dirt is always out.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/12/24/history-gives-mixed-grade-to-impact-assault-weapons-ban/

• Upvote 2

This would probably come in handy...if it didn't keep blowing out the circuit breaker panel of every home and small business in Germany.

German defense contractor Rheinmetall has shown off a new two-part laser system with a combined output of 50 kW, capable of shooting down drones and intercepting mortar rounds in mid-flight. The high-energy laser (HEL) weapon consists of a 30 kW primary laser mounted on a rotating turret and a 20 kW secondary beam for targeting stationary objects. In tests conducted in late November, the beams combined to slice through a 15mm steel girder at a distance of roughly 1,000 yards, while the 30 kW laser on its own was able to intercept a drone moving at more than 110 mph.

Perhaps the most impressive aspect of the system is its ability to lock on to small moving targets. In order to simulate a mortar round, testers used a steel ball of just over three inches in diameter. The HEL was able to detect the incoming projectile, before using two levels of tracking — a rough positioning provided by the mechanical turret and a more accurate fine-tuning by the laser itself — to intercept the target.

This isn't the first time that the company has demonstrated a turret-mounted laser weapon. Last year, a 10 kW version performed similar feats, and Rheinmetall says that it plans to produce a device capable of 100 kW output in the immediate future. Still, it faces competition from rivals in the space — as far back as 2010, US firm Raytheon demonstrated a 50 kW weapon with comparable capabilities, including the ability to shoot down a drone from a moving warship.

rheinmetall-laser-test-2_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

http://www.theverge....kw-laser-weapon

Edited by Royal