Radio etiquette

Guest rotorhead

Actually it doesn't. "Roger" is the controller saying "I've heard you" but it is not a clearance to do whatever you asked. Affirmative is the "I've heard you, and approve your request" response. Made that mistake once, and never forgot it.

I'm with you, good lesson for those that didnt know. The internet doesn't convey sarcasm well, so I guess that was my bad...

Edited by Rmarsh

Man, you guys are a bunch of ate up mother fuckers! T-6 assignments for all of you! About the only time I get pissed at comm, is if we're in a stack, about to employ, and extraneous comm is hindering our ability to drop. Other than that, you can say whatever the fuck you want.

Edited by SocialD
  • Upvote 4

Man, you guys are bunch of ate up mother fuckers! T-6 assignments for all of you! About the only time I get pissed at comm, is if we're in a stack, about to employ, and extraneous comm is hindering our ability to drop. Other than that, you can say whatever the fuck you want.

Yup

I'm just a shmuck in the schoolhouse still, but we always brief comm brevity. The instructor rogered up (they are the individuals with radios controls for the vast majority of each sortie) that in fact it was important that we remain brief on the comm freqs because when you get downrange, freqs are so clogged up that you have to be smart with what you transmit. (I don't know the legitimacy of this if someone wants to weigh in)

Our departure call: "good morning ### departure this is ### 69 passing through six hundred and fifty feet for 1.6k about three miles to the south of the field with the flash"

Dep: ### 69 ### departure radar contact left turn heading 270.

Us: "### 69 in the left turn to heading 270, thanks so much for the help ### 69."

::facepalm::

Our departure call: "good morning ### departure this is ### 69 passing through six hundred and fifty feet for 1.6k about three miles to the south of the field with the flash"

Dep: ### 69 ### departure radar contact left turn heading 270.

Us: "### 69 in the left turn to heading 270, thanks so much for the help ### 69."

Agreed...

1) ### Departure, ### 69, 700 climbing 1600

2) ### 69, Left, 270

EMCON 1 sucks balls. There is nothing I hate more than having to deal with a tanker wanting to do EMCON 1 (usually said tankers are USMC).

I remember specifically while doing Instruments and on in T-6s at Vance, it was standard procedure to say "Clearance Delivery, XXXX 69, clearance on request, ready to copy" - at which time they'd give you the clearance, you'd read back, brakes off lets go.

I did that at Rucker, first time and my IP said "what the hell are you saying", from which point I just said "dunno.. but, its what we always did". Henceforth, "Clearance, XXXX 69, <insert departure> <insert destination etc>". Receive squawk, have a great day.

Since then how many times have you filed an instrument flight plan?

Since then how many times have you filed an instrument flight plan?

Since Kirtland, never, but thats because I'm still waiting for my gradebooks. And from what I hear.. IMC Avoidance is more "House/Powerlines Avoidance".

The Army, using A/A freqs around RTs and at refuel like a CB radio.

Armybro1:"###, taking off 240, right closed"

Armybro2:"Oh hey ###! Its YYY, glad to hear youre flying again, hows the old lady?"

Armybro1: "oh just fine, fine. Say, hows the (insert what the fvck ever)?"

All the while we are turning base to final at the RT and by the time they're done yacking long enough to key the mic I'm already on the ground behind them.

EMCON 1 sucks balls. There is nothing I hate more than having to deal with a tanker wanting to do EMCON 1 (usually said tankers are USMC).

Yep. Try it with French crews in the helo speaking to Italian C-130's speaking English. EMCON 1 has never been so painful. They're supposed to know English, but I never understand it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just move up behind the tanker and move to contact when the rocket comes out. I don't think I've ever said anything, and I get gas every time. Is that wrong?