First Indian C-17 delivered

Bergman

http://www.fool.com/...s-to-india.aspx

Boeing Begins C-17 Deliveries to India

By Rich Smith | More Articles

June 12, 2013 | Comments (1)

Nearly two years after the deal was first announced, Boeing's (NYSE: BA ) begun delivering on its 2011 contract to supply 10 C-17 Globemaster III transport aircraft to India.

On Tuesday, Boeing confirmed that after completing pre-delivery flight testing, it has transferred ownership of the first C-17 to Indian ownership, making India the latest country to incorporate the giant transport into its air force. Boeing expects to deliver four more C-17s to India before this year is out, and to complete its production run with the final five deliveries next year.

A high-wing, four-engine, T-tailed military-transport aircraft, the C-17 can take off from short runways of as little as 7,600 feet in length and land on runways as short as 3,000 feet. It can fly 2,400 miles without aerial refueling -- flying longer with refueling -- and carry as much as 80 tons of cargo. It is big and powerful enough to carry three Bradley armored vehicles aboard it, or even a full-size Abrams main battle tank.

To date, Boeing has delivered 254 C-17s worldwide, including 222 to the U.S. Air Force and 32 more to allied nations Australia, Canada, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, and the 12-member Strategic Airlift Capability initiative of NATO and Partnership for Peace nations -- and now India as well.

So when it lands on a 3,000' runway. Where do they find the other 4,600' so that it can take off?

The strategic airlift blurb got butchered: It should say that with an 80 ton payload it can takeoff in 7,600 ft, travel 2,400 NM, and then land in 3,000 ft.

Edited by addict

The strategic airlift blurb got butchered: It should say that with an 80 ton payload it takeoff in 7,600 ft, travel 2,400 NM, and then land in 3,000 ft.

Then once empty can takeoff in less than 1500 feet. Now if you can't get the cargo off for any reason you are fucked.

I've stopped light in less than 1000' of ground roll. Little wind on the nose, Home 'drome just 25 minutes away, nice weather, 10x knot groundspeed last time I glanced at it, etc. Can be "fun", and you're not going to do that in many 4 engine jets, evah. Just pay your dues and do your homework. Yep, it was the correct airfield, we didn't have a HATR or birdstrike, had the gear down, checklists complete, didn't break anything I even came back Alpha 1. Big woop.

Flew the Indians around Washington State one fine July day. They were not expecting those big brakes or the little runway. They were labor, not mgmt, so no idea if it helped "sell" any jets.

Yep, it was the correct airfield, we didn't have a HATR or birdstrike, had the gear down, checklists complete, didn't break anything I even came back Alpha 1.

Yeah! Once in a row!

:bash:

:beer:

I just want to know if they also have to wait 2+ hours on the ramp waiting to get their ADC number. Dealing with Indian ATC is a ######ing nightmore. Their government actually makes ours seem like streamlined, efficient geniuses.

Edited by pintail21
  • Upvote 1

Glad they bought American but suprised they didn't go with the A400M as it can dual role for airlift or probe & drogue AR

Really, only the minority of Indian tactical aircraft can take a western-style drogue anyway.

Glad they bought American but suprised they didn't go with the A400M as it can dual role for airlift or probe & drogue AR

They'd be waiting another 6-9 yrs for delivery. Then it would still suck because it's Airbus.

Really, only the minority of Indian tactical aircraft can take a western-style drogue anyway.

I know they are using the UPAZ system for the HDU but even the Russian probes are the same as the NATO probes or are supposed to be... only refuelled Brit Tornados and Aussie F/A-18's probe and drogue foreign receivers so I can't speak from experience on it...

But they (the IAF) are buying the A-330 MRTT and having a dedicated tanker sometimes transport is what they want...

They'd be waiting another 6-9 yrs for delivery. Then it would still suck because it's Airbus.

Looks like they are back on schedule or ready to deliver now, this news update doesn't specify IOC but it is the second production example being delivered this year...

Not an Airbus salesman but the idea of combining medium airlift with tanker capability into one aircraft (except for boom AR) is a pretty good one...

Edited by Clark Griswold