Inside Combat Rescue

slackline

Maybe it's good for 10 or so new helicopters?....

Funny thing about this is that the question came up during a recent Q/A session with Gen Wells. He flat out said that it is not in the cards. We fall well below the F-35, KC-X, Bomber of the future, etc. At least he didn't mention Tops in Blue.

I looked and could not find anything. It will probably be on NETFLIX but not until well after the last episode of the season. The full episode is not on HULU plus but there are a few 3 or 4 minute clips.

Funny thing about this is that the question came up during a recent Q/A session with Gen Wells. He flat out said that it is not in the cards. We fall well below the F-35, KC-X, Bomber of the future, etc. At least he didn't mention Tops in Blue.

Well at least he didn't beat around the bush (STS) like Skeletor would have.

Did anyone notice the photo of a scantily clad young lady on the wall in one scene during last night's episode? I was dismayed & insulted. How can we trust these guys to execute this critical mission with blatantly offensive material on display where such fragile eyes can see it? Aside from that, it's a great show. *sarcasm off*

Gen Wells asked this question at the Q/A session at our base as well. He asked for a show of hands on how much the "health and wellness inspections" would improve the environment. When noone raised their hands, he pulled a SSgt out of the audience and she told him, and I am paraphrasing, "everyone shouldn't have to wear diapers just because one guy shits his pants." I thought it was well said.

• Upvote 1

Gen Wells asked this question at the Q/A session at our base as well. He asked for a show of hands on how much the "health and wellness inspections" would improve the environment. When noone raised their hands, he pulled a SSgt out of the audience and she told him, and I am paraphrasing, "everyone shouldn't have to wear diapers just because one guy shits his pants." I thought it was well said.

thats awesome - but you full well know, its one person that can make the loudest scream to some senator/congres(wo)man and get everything changed

• Upvote 1

Interesting...especially since the CRH (60 replacement) is still receiving funding per this year's DoD Budget. Then again with sequestration, I would be surprised if the program gets cx'd...again.

Edited by HeloDude

Stract,

Possible stupid question, but what's the deal with the full face mask deal the helo pilots/crew are wearing? Just to reduce wind noise or to look cool or both?

Its meant to prevent purple hearts. Pedro's have taken some SERIOUS BDA the past few years as did some other rotor platforms in Iraq. Case in point.

They were initially designed to protect the pilots face from smashing into the cyclic in a crash but the backenders use them a lot to deal with dust/snow on approach when they stick their heads out the door.

And the frontenders use them a lot to deal with dust/snow on approach since our doors are removed. Also nice when it starts to get cold for blocking the wind

Cool show. Some of it seemed a little over dramaticized but that makes good TV I guess. But it is definitely cool to see how that side operates.

Quick question: one of the dudes was bitching about a 4 month deployment. 4 months? Is that a standard deployment for AF AD units? Seems short compared to the 6-10 that we (Marines) are doing, the 7/7/7 that the Navy is doing and the effing huge debacle that the Army does with their whole 12+ month shit sandwiches.

It is 4-6 months but it could be longer. If you noticed, he got orders for his next deployment while he was deployed. That means 4 months deployed, home for a few months, training for a few months, and then right back to Afghanistan. Try doing this rotation for 6 straight years with no gaps. It has to be rough.

Cool show. Some of it seemed a little over dramaticized but that makes good TV I guess. But it is definitely cool to see how that side operates.

Quick question: one of the dudes was bitching about a 4 month deployment. 4 months? Is that a standard deployment for AF AD units? Seems short compared to the 6-10 that we (Marines) are doing, the 7/7/7 that the Navy is doing and the effing huge debacle that the Army does with their whole 12+ month shit sandwiches.

Problem is people live in their own worlds, so to him 4 months at a time is the life he's living. And as was mentioned, I have personally left for three deployments to that wonderful vacation spot three times in one year. Dwell time is constantly being waived. Then add in your regularly scheduled TDY's, upgrades, etc and you're off to the races. Nobody is claiming it's more difficult than what some deal with. It's just our version of their sh@t sandwich.

And while dramatized for this show, it ain't exactly 4 months of easy living. I've started shifts getting alerted in the middle of a gear swap, only to get out of the helo to piss in the farp, and have someone bring us powerbars throughout 11 hours straight of flying. Like any aircraft, that's no fun on the back. Talk to a random helo pilot, and ask him/her how the vibration generated in any helo is treating their back...

Edit for grammar fun.

Edited by slackline

They really didn't have to "reality tv" the show at all. The emotion came through strong, especially with how the whole SF medic thing was handled.

Buddies kissing him on the forehead, saying good bye... jesus that was tough.

Problem is people live in their own worlds, so to him 4 months at a time is the life he's living. And as was mentioned, I have personally left for three deployments to that wonderful vacation spot three times in one year. Dwell time is constantly being waived. Then add in your regularly scheduled TDY's, upgrades, etc and you're off to the races. Nobody is claiming it's more difficult than what some deal with. It's just our version of their sh@t sandwich.

And while dramatized for this show, it ain't exactly 4 months of easy living. I've started shifts getting alerted in the middle of a gear swap, only to get out of the helo to piss in the farp, and have someone bring us powerbars throughout 11 hours straight of flying. Like any aircraft, that's no fun on the back. Talk to a random helo pilot, and ask him/her how the vibration generated in any helo is treating their back...

Edit for grammar fun.

The shorter start/stop life has always been harder on me and my family than the longer departures/returns. Gone for a year on a remote, easy to plan for, easy to work around. Gone for 4 months every 3/4 months, on top of "training" and other duties. Especially if the Sq isn't supportive at all. Those "short" deployments were/are much worse.

And I don't even fly.

Edited by 17D_guy