Squadron Scarves

TheCubDriver

OK, besides the obvious that they really don't serve a practical use. Is there any regulation that says they can't be worn for moral? I would think that we would have more pride and bring back a tradition that has been put aside in our current generation?! We still wear leather jackets and the fighter community seems to think that its necessary to remove the "tampon pocket" on their flight suits.

OK, besides the obvious that they really don't serve a practical use. Is there any regulation that says they can't be worn for moral? I would think that we would have more pride and bring back a tradition that has been put aside in our current generation?! We still wear leather jackets and the fighter community seems to think that its necessary to remove the "tampon pocket" on their flight suits.

Could it be that that pocket is useless under the g-suit? Nah...

Every squadron scarf/ascot/whatever I've ever received is either hanging on the wall of my man cave, unworn, or has been carved up to be framed in a going away litho.

In the name of heritage, I'm glad we still have them, even though they're impractical today. I'm sure they'll be stripped away soon enough in the name of "fiscal instabity" "Shoe clerk butthurt" or "SARC insanity"

Could be because we don't fly open cockpit biplanes any more. Just saying.

Good call!! Let's change "tradition" based on today's perception!! You go, girl!! I think you could be the next CoS!

Missileers wear scarves...

usfrsno1l.jpg

I'm sure they'll be stripped away soon enough in the name of "fiscal instabity" "Shoe clerk butthurt" or "SARC insanity"

... along with many other "traditions". Good post.

While I appreciate the humor and ribbing the Dept of the Navy gives us over "ascots",... and I have a ton of outstanding friends in those 2 services,...I really have no desire to modify our AAF legacy based on what "they" think is "cool".

usfrsno1l.jpg

Sorry brother, show me a picture of Robin Olds with a scarf and I maybe (won't) pull one out of the container of other crap I don't wear. Steve Ritchie? Fail - I've met him in person and he's an a-hole.

• Upvote 1

Fail - I've met him in person and he's an a-hole.

Maybe so.

I gave him his T-38 academics checkout, did his sims, flew with him, and went TDY a couple times with him. An entirely positive experience.

Talking to some others like yourself, I am in the minority.

But I'll take BG Ritchie any day over many "leaders" I've met... both personally and professionally.

Back to the subject,... yes, I don't wear scarves anymore either. Unlike some of you, I was around when it was actually required for us to wear them. But rather than dismiss it as "ghey", I'd say it is simply a past tradition that is...

Oh wait! We cannot have past traditions and heritage! I forgot, sorry.

OK, back to your regularly scheduled episode of "Squadron Heritage Confiscation".

Edited by Huggyu2
  • Upvote 1

Sorry brother, show me a picture of Robin Olds with a scarf and I maybe (won't) pull one out of the container of other crap I don't wear.

I don't recall anyone in Thailand wearing a scarf during Vietnam; too hot and humid.

I'd never heard of this before, so I had to look into it.

MAJCOMs often delegate to Installation, and the Installation then doesn't have a supplement or never addresses it. However here are a few that specifically do address it:

Must?

ACC/HQ Staff '07

May

AFRC '06

Edwards '07

Keesler (71 SOS only) '07

Sometimes

Peterson '08

Further Delegated (Go write a memo to your boss if you think your hot shit and wanna wear one)

Randolph '08 - Sq Lvl

AFGSC '12 - Gp Lvl

Vance '11 - Gp Lvl

Weirdest thing I found was this:

AFI36-2903_AMCSUP 5 APRIL 2007

3.2.5.8. Neckwear. Installation commanders may authorize wear of distinctive scarves by individual units. All scarves must be in good taste and standardized throughout the installation. Scarves will not be worn in the aircraft or in situations where wear is impractical or inappropriate. When issued and authorized for wear, scarves must be worn to off-base establishments.

Edited by deaddebate

I'd never heard of this before, so I had to look into it.

MAJCOMs often delegate to Installation, and the Installation then doesn't have a supplement or never addresses it. However here are a few that specifically do address it:

Must?

ACC/HQ Staff '07

May

AFRC '06

Edwards '07

Keesler (71 SOS only) '07

Sometimes

Peterson '08

Further Delegated (Go write a memo to your boss if you think your hot shit and wanna wear one)

Randolph '08 - Sq Lvl

AFGSC '12 - Gp Lvl

Vance '11 - Gp Lvl

Weirdest thing I found was this:

Oh. My. Geek.

How long did that take you? You know you'll never get that time back, right?