More SARC briefings soon.

di1630

We had to watch "The Invisible War" at my current location, and the single recurring theme (other than rape) was how the military completely fell down on the job with the prosecution aspect. The issue isn't sentencing, it's convicting. I was expecting to see a bunch of had too many drinks/he-said-she-said situations, but these were mostly violent attacks. This is a leadership problem on 2 levels:

1. Leaders aren't pursuing prosecution in cases of rape because ...

2. Higher leaders have created a promotion structure that incentivizes sweeping problems under the rug in order to create the appearance that all is well as opposed to rewarding people who acknowledge and address problems.

Excellence in all we do, right? Some bosses only care to hear that all is well. Thankfully they aren't all like that though. Some are man enough to face problems head on.

Sure, but if we can tweak the 2nd amendment, why not the 8th?

The 8th amendment can and has been "tweaked" by legal cases over the years. Just like every single amendment in the Bill of Rights.

Chief Justice Earl Warren wrote in 1958, of the Eighth Amendment specifically, "The Amendment must draw its meaning from the evolving standards of decency that mark the progress of a maturing society."

Not that I support a "tweaking" that leads to dudes' "tweakers" getting chopped off, but it's not 100% out of the question given the generally accepted legal standard WRT the 8th Amendment. Most cases brought on the grounds of cruel and unusual punishment are usually trying to decrease the threshold i.e. make more things (like the death penalty in general or life w/o parole) deemed cruel and unusual, but if you wanna bring suit and try to go the opposite way go for it!

Edited by nsplayr

• 3 months later...

Soldiers and sex: Can men evolve?

"Then what will it take to end this seemingly endless parade of men who harass and undermine military women? I think we need a serious re-education program for all military men."

Stand by for remediation.

Ahh...such a beautifully written piece by a liberal hack who is a poor substitute for a real journalist.

My favorite line:

I think we need a serious re-education program for all military men.

Glad to know I've been wasting my time doing those stupid CBT's, attending 'bystander intervention training classes', getting continuous briefs that the military will not accept any form of sexual harassment and assault...on and on. What we 'really' needed all this time was more 'serious re-education'. You know, the education that tells us how to be a good wingman, not assault anybody, what happens if we do....oh wait, that sounds a lot like what we've already been doing.

What do people expect? We have a lot of shitty citizens in this country (it's only getting worse as the country further declines) and that's where we recruit from--shouldn't be a surprise that we have the same problems as the rest of the country, though fortunately on a much lesser scale. If all we needed was to be 're-educated' then we wouldn't have any random drug tests, Article 15's for DUI's, toxicology tests after mishaps, etc.

What a ridiculous article. Unfortunately, many "leaders" will probably support her assertions. Her basic premise: it's ok to generalize the population at large, but in the military, individual actions are representative of the entire military culture. The problem, like so many others, is a symptom of failed leadership at every level.

• 3 weeks later...

Would like to add this little bit to the Chief's video as well -

General Morrison said he took responsibility for the scandal.

“It's on me,” he said. “I'm responsible for this, I'm the chief of the Australian army. The culture of the army is in my hands during my tenure and I'm doing as much as I humanly can to improve it.

“This is a setback but I'm going to pick myself up.”

Source

Edited by 17D_guy

No-fly day next Friday at a certain FTU for SAPR activities of some sort. Anybody else?

Yup. And apparently, despite setting aside the entire day, it still won't fulfill the annual training requirement.

Got a nice 20-hr day out of it last week. 12hr mid-shift into late-morning brief. Back into 12hr mid-shift.

No CBT's though. Also.. the brief was quick, with only 1 ass deciding to prolong the pain with unnecessary clarification.

Also it didn't tell me I was a rapist, or that men were, or ask if there was every an ok time to call a woman a bitch.

26 June for Beale.

I applied for leave (I have 10 days use/lose) and was denied.

YGBSM. With use or lose, you need to insist that they document that they are denying it. Don't take a verbal,... make them do it on leave web.

Good chance they will back down.

Can't wait to waste an entire day on this bullshit when there's tons of shit that needs to get done that actually matters. We are not allowed to do ANYTHING non-SAPR related...even when we said it could be done after all the briefings/drum circles are over...the answer was still no. Spoiler alert: SAPR will not even remotely change the mind of d-bags who rape chicks. But thank God upper management will be able to say, "we know nothing has changed, but look, we did something, see!"