MAFFS C-130 Crash in South Dakota

WABoom

The Charlotte PA Lt Col said MAFFS missions conduct drops at 150'AGL. Is this accurate?

That's roughly the goal, depending on terrain. Any higher or lower and the retardant is ineffective. Target airspeed on the run-in is about 120kts with 100 flaps, IIRC.

Edit to add: Godspeed to these brave aviators.

Edited by TacAirCoug

Names have been released:

http://rapidcityjour...240e8e2434.html

Ryan was a great friend, stationed with me in the 41st - unbelievably fun guy to be around. He seemed to never stop smiling. Was new to the NC ANG and was super excited take on the MAFFS mission.

I think his last facebook post says a lot about his character:7496327494_68f102d041_c.jpg

Edited by HercDude

I went to CATS with Ryan aka "Meat". We shared a car and were in the same MPC for the class. It was such a shock to see that he passed. If anyone has any info where I can send flowers and a donation PLEASE PM me.

LoadClear,

Thanks for letting us know. Once we received the names, we figured it was the loads that were hospitalized. We pray that they continue to get better. God Bless gentlemen.

Lots of kids left behind with this one.....The River Rats and Air Warrior Courage Foundation have been in contact with the unit and are working to establish 529 college accounts for all the children.

I will post donation info as soon as I get it.

Nickel on the grass!

Cap-10

• Upvote 1

Really, sad to hear...I commute through CLT, and see the Herks parked there in the MAFF colors. :beer::salut:

Lots of kids left behind with this one.....The River Rats and Air Warrior Courage Foundation have been in contact with the unit and are working to establish 529 college accounts for all the children.

I will post donation info as soon as I get it.

Nickel on the grass!

Cap-10

Apparently the Wildland Firefighter Foundation is also chipping in to help the families. Nice to know there are so many organizations out there eager to step up and help out.

damn....is it just me, or have there been a lot of incidents lately.

RIP fellas. :salut:

Sure seems like it. :beer: :beer:

Guest mudkow60

At least the crew knew what they doing was extremely important and useful... they can rest easy knowing they were working to assist the people of this nation.