Drone Pilots: We Don’t Get No Respect

Tree, Yes, excellent point. I think it would be the same for GPWS also. Would you agree?

And you know of the A-10 midair that I referenced. I worked with two guys at Randolph who had flown A-10s at Alex at the time of the accident who described what happened to me. One of them, being the investigating safety officer, was one of the first at the accident sight. Very tragic indeed.

I understand about the serious break down in the contract. But, do you think TCAS would have made a difference (as that one last link in the chain), given it was a training sortie?

I think with enough money to get better sensors and much faster computers, you can do just about anything so if you wanted a TCAS system that could function within the rapidly changing parameters that occur within a fighter scenario it is possible. I don't think it would pass the cost/benefit calculus to warrant those dollars, however. Back when we added the LASTE system to the A-10, we were losing 2.5 airframes per year due to CFIT. That was an easy decision to make. Midairs are just not that common.

Thinking about other aspects, when trying to shoot another aircraft, you intentionally point your nose at it. How would you do a head on missile shot without generating a warning? For a gun shot, you have to be in range, in plane, and in lead all of which would be calculated as a midair potential which it definitely would be.

I think with enough money to get better sensors and much faster computers, you can do just about anything so if you wanted a TCAS system that could function within the rapidly changing parameters that occur within a fighter scenario it is possible. I don't think it would pass the cost/benefit calculus to warrant those dollars, however. Back when we added the LASTE system to the A-10, we were losing 2.5 airframes per year due to CFIT. That was an easy decision to make. Midairs are just not that common.

Thinking about other aspects, when trying to shoot another aircraft, you intentionally point your nose at it. How would you do a head on missile shot without generating a warning? For a gun shot, you have to be in range, in plane, and in lead all of which would be calculated as a midair potential which it definitely would be.

Copy all. Makes sense. Thanks

Probably the nacelle lights that eclipse the sun when it comes to burning my retinas. Bonus points if they're full bright when we're going in and out of thick clouds at night...1/2 the time it's OK, the other 1/2 my NVGs are instantly 100% washed out and I nearly hit the damn wing of the tanker.

That said, thanks for always being cool and turning them down when I ask.

I hate those lights, but half the time I tell the boom to turn them off I have to hear about how much they help the receiver that we won't see for another 2 hours.

They don't make finding a dimly lit runway off the wing very easy either.

Is "I got him on the fish finder" the only option for rpa's? What is this "approved sense and avoid system" mentioned?

The mq-1/9 don't have any tcas system, just mode 3/c. At best, they have a JREAP tie in to link16 in theater. Everything else is based on radio/mIRC calls and counting on procedural decon.

Almost as bad as those flashing blue and red lights that you guys forget to turn off at night.

flashing blue and red lights? They aren't cops. And you probably need to retake that color vision test...

• Upvote 1

Congratulations ladies.

You can take your place behind every other woman who has stunted progress towards gender equality by feeling the need to suggest that a woman accomplishing something extraordinary is more special than it would have otherwise been because it was a woman who accomplished it. Because of course, we don't expect much from you...you're just a woman.

• Upvote 4

Where's the special article and celebration for EVERYTHING that's been accomplished (in the military and not) by a team of only men...

Like has been said, what a heinous waste of time, money, and oxygen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is "I got him on the fish finder" the only option for rpa's? What is this "approved sense and avoid system" mentioned?

It seems so. The AF needs to get serious about fixing the soda straw problem that RPAs have.

I'd say we should strap cameras 360 degrees around them, but bandwidth to bring those feeds home would be an issue.

This technology is still many years out, but it will be awesome when we get software that can identify other aerial vehicles/threats visually and determine their relative positions, then transmit that to the container.

Edited by McDonut

• 1 month later...

Gen Carlisle seems concerned about the manning situation. For our war in Afghanistan being "over" and only a very "limited operation" the COCOMs sure aren't letting up in their demand for CAPs.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/01/04/exclusive-u-s-drone-fleet-at-breaking-point-air-force-says.html

zb

Gen Carlisle seems concerned about the manning situation. For our war in Afghanistan being "over" and only a very "limited operation" the COCOMs sure aren't letting up in their demand for CAPs.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/01/04/exclusive-u-s-drone-fleet-at-breaking-point-air-force-says.html

zb

Honest questions:

- What is the current status of the Army's Gray Eagles (Predator equivalents)?

- If they exist in significant numbers stateside, why are COCOMs not screaming for them to be deployed to theater, and furthermore why is this not even mentioned in the article?

Bottom line, my understanding is that Army RPAs--to include the Predator-equivalent Gray Eagles--deploy and redeploy with their parent units, which by definition means that LD/HD assets are available stateside but going grossly underutilized. If RPAs are LD/HD assets that COCOMs desperately need, and the Army has Grey Eagles stateside, but is unwilling to give them up (while Air Force RPA units are getting crushed), why is this not much bigger news? We love to bash the Air Force for not being team players/being unwilling to support the guys on the ground, but this would seem to indicate that the Army is equally culpable of screwing over its own people/our coalition ground partners. Of course, if the Army is in fact supporting joint warfighters by detaching their RPA units from their parent divisions and releasing them to support broader joint requirements, why is this not bigger news?

Honest questions:

- If they exist in significant numbers stateside, why are COCOMs not screaming for them to be deployed to theater, and furthermore why is this not even mentioned in the article?

Bottom line, my understanding is that Army RPAs--to include the Predator-equivalent Gray Eagles--deploy and redeploy with their parent units, which by definition means that LD/HD assets are available stateside but going grossly underutilized. If RPAs are LD/HD assets that COCOMs desperately need, and the Army has Grey Eagles stateside, but is unwilling to give them up (while Air Force RPA units are getting crushed), why is this not much bigger news? We love to bash the Air Force for not being team players/being unwilling to support the guys on the ground, but this would seem to indicate that the Army is equally culpable of screwing over its own people/our coalition ground partners. Of course, if the Army is in fact supporting joint warfighters by detaching their RPA units from their parent divisions and releasing them to support broader joint requirements, why is this not bigger news?

There is an excellent white paper on this topic. I'll look for it the next time I'm at work.

• Upvote 1

Honest questions:

Grey Eagle is being restructured as part of the 58 divestment as part of the "Full Spectrum CAB" model.

At the moment, no they don't exist in significant numbers nor will they ever exist in the numbers currently enjoyed by GFCs in our current Stability Ops model. When you have currently 3 CABs in all of Afghanistan that would leave you with roughly 20 GEs in the country to support whichever RCs they are set to cover. However as of right now there is only one full spectrum CAB in the Army.

That doesn't even begin to cover the, not really being designed for independent units to attach as needed where needed to SOCOM.

Gray Eagle and Shadow are going to form a huge part of our recon element since we are losing our air scouts. Basically each of he CABs 2 Apache battalions (24 ship SQD equivalent) will have a company (6-10x UAS) of one or the other dependent if they are Attack or recon. Rather than having 30 Kiowas in a recon regiment and a single heavy attack battalion of Apaches.

Lawman, does the aviation branch have a school equivalent to USAFWS that focuses on tactics and integration? Just curious since Army Aviation is directly tied to GFCs, and you guys (doctrinally, at least) integrate with the other branches in your service as you plan/execute.

Lawman, does the aviation branch have a school equivalent to USAFWS that focuses on tactics and integration? Just curious since Army Aviation is directly tied to GFCs, and you guys (doctrinally, at least) integrate with the other branches in your service as you plan/execute.

No, and it's a fight to get anyone to listen to myself and others in the closest thing to a tactics and employment track because for 12 years we haven't done anything but club dudes in man dresses with impunity.

Also we have nothing even resembling 3-1 or a vault to study it in so those of us that know about yours cheat and steal it. Definitely nothing platform specific hour we are trying to push out a generic helicopter 3-1 equivalent in the next 3 years.

We can barely get aviators into joint fires or any other kinds of course. Occasionally you will hear of a "Master Gunner" course, but that's not an actual tactics class it's how to design gunnery ranges.

There is a push to create some kind of a weapons school for TACOPS as well as giving TACOPS (our closest equivalent) some kind of evaluation power but that is being fought tooth and nail by the IP branch because they are the sole holder of the red pen and don't view TACOPS as a real track but can't find a way to fold this into their realm.

Really the Army doesn't put enough emphasis in aviation so we don't have the resources to get where we need to be. I've seen exactly 1 secret level pilots briefing ever, and that was on 429 ROE not threats or tactics etc.

Grey Eagle is being restructured as part of the 58 divestment as part of the "Full Spectrum CAB" model.

At the moment, no they don't exist in significant numbers nor will they ever exist in the numbers currently enjoyed by GFCs in our current Stability Ops model. When you have currently 3 CABs in all of Afghanistan that would leave you with roughly 20 GEs in the country to support whichever RCs they are set to cover. However as of right now there is only one full spectrum CAB in the Army.

That doesn't even begin to cover the, not really being designed for independent units to attach as needed where needed to SOCOM.

Gray Eagle and Shadow are going to form a huge part of our recon element since we are losing our air scouts. Basically each of he CABs 2 Apache battalions (24 ship SQD equivalent) will have a company (6-10x UAS) of one or the other dependent if they are Attack or recon. Rather than having 30 Kiowas in a recon regiment and a single heavy attack battalion of Apaches.

I forgot about the Shadow. Okay, so help me out with this, then. From what I can find on the interwebz the Army has:

- 450+ Shadows

- Somewhere between 75-150 Warriors/Gray Eagles

What I just read from you above is that approx 20 of these RPAs are currently deployed in Afghanistan. I probably misunderstood what you wrote. I'm often wrong. Otherwise, that would seem like a pretty underwhelming commitment of resources to the fight (even after accounting for training/depot mx/etc.). Is it really true that less than 30% of the Army's Grey Eagles (and less than 5% of the overall Grey Eagle/Shadow fleet) are deployed in Afghanistan, at a time when CENTCOM is apparently screaming for every single airframe they can get their hands on? What am I missing here?

I forgot about the Shadow. Okay, so help me out with this, then. From what I can find on the interwebz the Army has:

- 450+ Shadows

What I just read from you above is that approx 20 of these RPAs are currently deployed in Afghanistan. I probably misunderstood what you wrote. I'm often wrong. Otherwise, that would seem like a pretty underwhelming commitment of resources to the fight (even after accounting for training/depot mx/etc.). Is it really true that less than 30% of the Army's Grey Eagles (and less than 5% of the overall Grey Eagle/Shadow fleet) are deployed in Afghanistan, at a time when CENTCOM is apparently screaming for every single airframe they can get their hands on? What am I missing here?

Army aviation is owned by the Army ground unit commander. If brigade X or whatever is homestation or someplace where they don't need airplane Y, the commanders won't give up their airplanes to support brigade Z (fear that they'll lose the capability, cause wear and tear for the next deployment, etc). That's the true difference from the AF centralized control, decentralized execution concept (although we execute very centralized as well); the CFACC controls all the air assets and doles them out where they can make the most difference for the overall CFC objective, whereas organic assets only support the owning command level whether or not that's the most efficient.

BL: It's easier to complain about why the AF isn't doing more X to the COCOMs rather than convince other Army units/HHQ to reallocate assets

• Upvote 1

Really the Army doesn't put enough emphasis in aviation so we don't have the resources to get where we need to be. I've seen exactly 1 secret level pilots briefing ever, and that was on 429 ROE not threats or tactics etc.

So glad that thing happened in 1947 where we don't have to worry about that. We don't put enough to aviation assets on our own!

Army aviation is owned by the Army ground unit commander. If brigade X or whatever is homestation or someplace where they don't need airplane Y, the commanders won't give up their airplanes to support brigade Z (fear that they'll lose the capability, cause wear and tear for the next deployment, etc). That's the true difference from the AF centralized control, decentralized execution concept (although we execute very centralized as well); the CFACC controls all the air assets and doles them out where they can make the most difference for the overall CFC objective, whereas organic assets only support the owning command level whether or not that's the most efficient.

post-7998-142052078169_thumb.jpg

Which is exactly why taking an asset like the A-10, which can work across the entire battlespace, and passing it to the Army (in the retirement debate) and tethering it to a ground commander worried about a few kilometers would be a total waste. The lack of tactical focus Lawman pointed out is also worrying.

• Upvote 4

- 450+ Shadows

Shadows/Hunters are different and way the hell cheaper than a Grey Eagle.

There are a crap load of those deployed because they are owned down to individual battalions in some cases. The CAB portion of Shadow could happen tomorrow but since we haven't ditched all the 58s it's not needed yet. But as was stated by others this stuff is owned as organic unit property. No different than Unit A isn't going to give Unit B it's trucks and not train/equip while in the rear they aren't going to just move all the UAS platforms into theatre at the loss to garrison units. You can't just strip a BCT and CAB of all their stuff.

But yeah until we get all the CABs fully converted to Full Spectrum CAB the couple of Grey Eagles owned by an individual CORPs isn't going to provide anywhere near the number of eyes in the sky that the current environment enjoys/demands. Same as we don't have anywhere near the number of MC-12/U-28 type platforms and even if we did put max forces forward and forget the Garrison guys who are on the patch chart to go back your still going to be on the hook for a lot of commitment.

So glad that thing happened in 1947 where we don't have to worry about that. We don't put enough to aviation assets on our own!

Yeah unless you've been an ALO you really haven't seen the full lengths of the stupidity of ground leadership making air calls.

I like to tell people we aren't any better prepared for it, we are just a lot closer to the fire and get burned a lot more.

Edited by Lawman

BL: It's easier to complain about why the AF isn't doing more X to the COCOMs rather than convince other Army units/HHQ to reallocate assets

This.

Also with Army RPAs you run into the nasty little fact that they are all controlled from in-theater as opposed to RSOing in from CONUS (fact of life/design limitation on the Shadow, conscious CONOPS choice with the Grey Eagle). That might not seem like a big deal but it actually significantly limits their flexibility compared to USAF assets...which is just another example of the differences in how the two services utilize/allocate/etc assets with similar capabilities. With the way we operate RSO the same iron stays in the AOR 24/7/365 and is controlled by a variety of units from the CONUS while we rotate people in/out to work the LRE and mx piece (which also means the LRE GCS's and support equipment stay in theater 24/7/365)...and those CONUS units can shift/surge to a different AOR if the AOR they were originally fragged to fly in is down for wx, is deemed a lower priority, whatever. Contrast that with the Army...all the iron (and GCS's, and support equipment, and people) have to rotate every x amount of months because it's tied to a specific unit, and if that area is down for wx everything associated with those assets is sitting idle.

The way the Army does things with RPAs may make sense from an Army-centric perspective but it's ing retarded from a "how do we most efficiently make use of a limited number of airplanes" perspective. So basically:

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByBaseops Network Forums1420520780.072625.jpg

Which is exactly why taking an asset like the A-10, which can work across the entire battlespace, and passing it to the Army (in the retirement debate) and tethering it to a ground commander worried about a few kilometers would be a total waste. The lack of tactical focus Lawman pointed out is also worrying.

Don't get me too off target on this.

We have some very tactically knowledgable dudes within the communities. What we don't have is a formal school or structure of authority within the unit like your model. The fighter guy I worked with while TDY was surprised but we also have more of a company identity (flight equivalent) vs a battalion (SQD). If you can imagine a squadron giving general guidance and then individual flights acting very independently that's more what you'd see in an Army aviation battalion. My boss is a senior O-3, I barely talk to the O-5 and I'm a mid level senior guy.

The big issue is getting it paid for to start a program. When the ground makes all the air decisions the big question on new aviation ideas is always "well why do you need this now?" And saying "because that's the way the Air Force does it" would go over like shitting on the table. Even amongst aviation a lot of guys look down their nose at the Air Force because they don't know any better than rumors and jokes etc. I'm one of the few guys around in the Army in general and Aviation specifically that's worked in a joint billet for the AF.