Special Tactics Officer to Receive Air Force Cross

In light of all the discussions of Finance BSMs, it's great to see our Special Tactics guys getting proper recognition for the amazing stuff they do every day downrange. In an Air Force that pays a lot of lip service to everyone being "warriors", these guys are the real deal.

Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Norton Schwartz will award Capt. Barry F. Crawford Jr. the Air Force Cross—the second highest honor for valor in combat—at a Pentagon ceremony on April 12. On May 4, 2010, Crawford, a special tactics officer assigned to an Army special forces team in eastern Afghanistan, " placed himself at grave risk on four occasions while controlling over 33 aircraft and more than 40 airstrikes on a well-trained and well-prepared enemy force" during an intense 10-hour-plus firefight...

Air Force Times Announcement

Article detailing Crawford's actions

:beer:

• Upvote 1

pix040612crawford.jpg

But but...how can he be trusted to do his job correctly while wearing altered BDU's and THAT BEARD!!! Fairly certain his sun glasses are also out of regs...he probably put them on top of his silly hat or around his neck anyway...

But seriously, amazing stuff!

But but...how can he be trusted to do his job correctly while wearing altered BDU's and THAT BEARD!!! Fairly certain his sun glasses are also out of regs...he probably put them on top of his silly hat or around his neck anyway...

But seriously, amazing stuff!

Somewhere an E-9's head is exploding...

I'd hate to be his FAIP.

:beer:

I know a guy that went to UPT as a Major with Nav wings and a Weapons School Patch. He had a FAIP try to tell him that the US Flag went on that sleeve. Apparently, some of the squadron leadership corrected the Lt, but I would have loved to have seen the event.

We hired him to fly A-10's at our unit. He'll be going to UPT soon. He's a good sh!t and we are psyched to have him.

Oh yeah, and he's a BAMF. As usual, you'd never know it. Biggest thing that sucks is we're deployed so none of us can attend the ceremony. I know I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

BK

• Upvote 2

We hired him to fly A-10's at our unit. He'll be going to UPT soon. He's a good sh!t and we are psyched to have him.

Oh yeah, and he's a BAMF. As usual, you'd never know it. Biggest thing that sucks is we're deployed so none of us can attend the ceremony. I know I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Word

Trust me - he'll pass UPT. Its hard as shit to wash someone out nowadays....

That's not what I meant.

I hope for his sake that he is as good in the air as he was on the ground since the two don't always correlate. Expectations will be high, his own and those of others.

I have always thought it was cool when "grunts" transition to the Hog. They bring a great perspective to every unit they are part of.

• 9 months later...